Pond Boss
Posted By: hang_loose Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 03:05 AM
I've got a couple questions...

How expensive are they?

And do they make a noise when they snap a picture?

I lied, one more ? Are they really that hard to hide from thiefs?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 03:43 AM
Hang_loose,

There are a couple of threads on this topic in the "If it ain't about Ponds" category here:

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189886#Post189886

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187531#Post187531
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 03:52 AM
Thanks
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 03:33 PM
You may not be able to find the answers to your questions in those threads...

So I'll answer them real quick, but you'll find tons of other info on game cameras there.

Expense: $50-$500 plus... To get a quality one, $200-$250.

Noise: Some are louder than others, most make a slight noise but the deer don't seem to mind and a human wouldn't even notice.

Theft: I have only had one stolen in 6 years of using them now. If you go to the effort, you can easily hide them and make it rather hard to see...
Posted By: esshup Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 04:23 PM
If you are worried about hiding them from prying eyes, I wouldn't go with a flash unit, I'd go with an infrared unit, maybe one of those "black" IR units. If I'm looking towards my Moultrie I-40, I notice the red glow when it's triggered at night.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 08:40 PM
LIke they always say size matters. Liek all things they seem to be getting smaller the bushenll trophytaker fits in palm of hand thus pretty hard to find unless lookign for it.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Game cameras?? - 11/11/09 09:32 PM
Greg, you ever seen or used the Scout Guard SG550? Not many companies have them. My buddy has two and I am really impressed with it. You should look into carrying them if you can...
Posted By: F-H Re: Game cameras?? - 11/12/09 03:14 AM
I have several cameras - I like digital & I like Cuddeback cameras - the batteries last 3-4 months in the summer and 2 months or more in the winter. The trigger speed is the best going - and thats important to me. The newer ones have super picture clarity - My pond pictures below are with the oldest model - you can see that the clarity isn't the best but its not bad

Sorry this isn't a pond picture - but you can see an example of the clarity with the newer cuddebacks - even on a deer moving some.

FH
[img]
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Game cameras?? - 11/12/09 04:40 PM
Wow F-H, those are some stunning photos! Dang I want a game camera bad!!!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Game cameras?? - 11/12/09 08:11 PM
There are a lot of game cameras out there for sure. Like CJ said above a good picture camera is going to be around 150 bucks and up. They even make ones that will email you the picture if you get the built in air card for internet access. Course that option will run you about 60 dollars a month for the internet, but a cool option if you live an hour or so from your pond.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Game cameras?? - 11/13/09 01:32 AM
checked the wgi IR4 cam today, 510 pics, not kidding all but 4 had animals. All this in 8 days. 6 different bucks. It is very impressive for a camera under $100. Im super busy but willpost pics sometime. I did find out the infrared does nto reach out very far missed a big buck you could barely see him but got him the next day in sun.

CJ I have heard of those might look at carrying more next year. The cuddeback and moultire remain our best sellers this year.
© Pond Boss Forum