Pond Boss
Posted By: Bentrout How to transport fish - 10/30/09 05:03 AM
I want to purchase some trout from my local trout farm but I need to know a good way to transfer them without renting their expensive equipment or having them deliver what would u guys reccomend
Posted By: esshup Re: How to transport fish - 10/30/09 05:24 AM
How many, how far (time wise) are you moving them and what size are they?
Posted By: Sunil Re: How to transport fish - 10/30/09 12:21 PM
How far are you hauling the trout?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: How to transport fish - 10/30/09 05:39 PM
If less than an hour trip, water temps are less than 60 degrees and you keep the density to about 1 10"-12" trout per 2 gallons of water I have gotten away with using plastic storage tubs and using a 12 volt to 120 volt power converter powering a high quality air stone. It isn't perfect but it gets the job done. I used to use that method when stocking trout into our creek. I didn't want a big stocking truck announcing to every local free trout to come poach. The farm I buy trout from now loans out transport tanks free of charge so I use them.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: How to transport fish - 10/30/09 10:43 PM
Bentrout, Most fish farms can put the Trout into large plastic bags half full of water, probably about 20 gallons, and then they add pure oxygen.
I have carried 10inch trout 50 per bag on a hour and a half trip with no losses. You can put the bags into a large cooler or big heavy cardboard boxs so they won't roll around.
Ask the supplier if he can do this and a cool day would be a good time to go.
© Pond Boss Forum