Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/14/09 11:13 PM
Hey guys what would be the best ways to reduce the muck and leaves and dead weeds on the bottom of the pond? I know my pond has not been messed with for several years and it feels like I have about 1 to 1.5 feet of muck in the middle of my pond and it stinks around the shore pretty bad. I can't airate at this point as I have no electricity either. Any help one this would be greatly apprecaited. I have heard of a liquid pond cleaner for this and a some sort of pellet you can put in the water to help this. Are they any good that you all know of?
I saw a company on "Dirty Jobs" that used something like a wet/dry vac and put the stuff in a huge bag. The water seeped back out while the solids stayed there. The bag looked like it was 50' x 150' and 3'-4' tall.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/15/09 09:06 PM
Yeah I have seen that also. Not sure if anyone in Arkansas does that sort of thing but it looked to be a pretty cool idea. Cant imagine how much it would cost though???
Posted By: Sunil Re: Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/15/09 10:04 PM
Aeration helps reduce bottom sediment over time; this is organic materials. Other things like dirt from run-off is not removed by aeration.
Posted By: SK63 Re: Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/16/09 01:12 AM
I got a quote from a company to pump out my muck with the bag thing (it was optional), it was around $25K for 1 acre.
RC51:
Tom G might have an easy way to do it. Maybe a we bit noisy, but easy!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/16/09 04:23 PM
25K???? Dam!!! No thanks I get in there and do it myself for that price! I saw they make some kind of pellet that is suppose to eat muck away too. Has anyone ever tried the pellets? They show a video of them on http://www.weedersdigest.com. It's a pretty cool site.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Best ways to remove pond muck and sediment - 09/16/09 09:19 PM
There are microbes (sp?) that can be added, but I believe that they work to their greatest potential when there is oxygen present. So they might work to somee degree w/out aeration, but will work better with aeration.

Someone jump in if I'm off.
© Pond Boss Forum