Pond Boss
Posted By: trialsguy A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 04:11 AM
I don’t normally ask for this kind of help, especially from strangers, but I/ we need help and hopefully a large mass of people with the same thought in mind will do the trick. My cousin’s son Matt who is 14 is having a very risky brain surgery on Thursday, This will be his second surgery and it is very risky but it is his only hope. They were able shrink the tumor and remove 60% of it but it came back with a vengeance very quickly and has left him unable to walk, with limited eye sight in his right eye and limited speech. This is it! If he doesn’t have the surgery he has very little time and he very well could be paralyzed or die from the surgery, it’s a 2 day procedure and this has been a very difficult time for the family in making the decisions to have the surgery And now they are asking for friends and family to please put Matt in their prayers or have a special thought about Matt depending on your beliefs. Personally I don’t know how they are getting by as both parents have been let go by their employers for having to be gone from work while traveling to so many hospital and getting test and treatments from Chicago to Arkansas and have lost their insurance for him and I don’t think they really care what they have to do as long as they do everything possible for Matt, these are proud people and have asked for nothing but thoughts and prayers for their son! I had hoped for him to get a chance to fish in my pond but this tumor grew back so fast that he didn't get a chance yet.
Matt is into baseball and loves his KC Royals as well as cars like any other 14 yr old would, people have started sending him postcards from all over the place for him to read to occupy his thoughts and time with words of encouragement or just a cool postcard so if you are inclined could you send him a simple postcard? Matt has been a very brave and courageous kid through all this process with a very positive attitude but confided in his uncle that he didn’t think he was going to make it and this just tears me up because he has been so strong all along this journey. The way I understand it is he will be getting test up until his operation on Thursday and would love to have postcards or whatever he can get to read or look at before and after recovery.
I guess he is able to take them at the hospital and if this is not right I will update as soon as I find out for sure.

Thank you for reading this, I really appreciate it

Matt and his family will be staying at a hotel, They dont have a hospital room number yet, his surgery is on Thursday but his family will be staying at hotel

Markham house suite room number 107/108 Bob and Shari Hernan
5120 W, Markham st.
Little Rock AR. 722205-3646
C/O Matt Hernan

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 08:22 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep Matt in my thoughts and spread the word to have as many put him in their prayers as possible. Cancer is a nasty thing! I'll dig up a good post card to send off...

Travis
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 09:57 AM
Will do.
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 01:01 PM
Bob,

I'm so sorry to hear this. Matt will definitely be in my prayers. Please keep us updated on how the surgery goes.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 01:09 PM
Personal letter sent via mail.

Bob, if you can PM me an address for the parents, I might be able to send some money out to help. Maybe they could get something for Matt.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 01:15 PM
He'll be in our thoughts and prayers as well. I'll put a postcard in the mail as well. Who's his favorite player on the Royals?
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 01:16 PM
Bob, our thoughts and prayers are with Matt, please keep us posted.
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 01:58 PM
Prayers and thoughts for Matt and his parents in these difficult time are offered.
Posted By: esshup Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:02 PM
Matt will be in my prayers, and I'll dig up something for him & get it in the mail today.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:03 PM
Bob, Matt will be in our prayers. My wife, Cathy, and I celebrated the successful removal of her brain tumor last night. I pray that Matt will be doing what Cathy is today, visiting her surgeon for the last time due to a complete recovery!

God bless you and your family Bob!
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:12 PM
Bob,

Is Matt at Arkansas Childrens Hospital right now? If so what room number is he in. My church sees people there all the time and prays for them. I could request them to go see him. I may even be able to get over there myself. As I only live about 12 miles from that hospital. Will he be there after his surgery for rehab?

RC
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:21 PM
I have sent Zach Greinke (pitcher for the Royals) an email seeing if there's anything they could or would like to do for Matt. I'll let you know if I hear back.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:21 PM
Bob, just sent a little note. He will be in my prayers.
Randy
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:27 PM
Matt and family will be in our prayers.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:27 PM
I will find out
Thanks
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:32 PM
Omaha the Royals have been out-standing through this and have donated a bunch of stuff for fund raisers and stuff like that, Matt's grandpa works for the Royals as security so he has a personal relationship with them. I think that somebody from the Royals who wished to remain anonymous paid for the air fare for the family for treatments. Matt was able to go down and watch batting practise and got all the guys autographs the other day. It was a very special day for him and the family.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:35 PM
RC51 They made it down yesterday and I am not sure about all the details, His uncle is going to let me know today. Thanks that would be great!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 02:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: trialsguy
Omaha the Royals have been out-standing through this and have donated a bunch of stuff for fund raisers and stuff like that, Matt's grandpa works for the Royals as security so he has a personal relationship with them. I think that somebody from the Royals who wished to remain anonymous paid for the air fare for the family for treatments. Matt was able to go down and watch batting practise and got all the guys autographs the other day. It was a very special day for him and the family.

Oh, very cool. They got a ton of good guys in that organization. BP would have been a great experience for the young man.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 05:34 PM
Omaha
Zach happens to be one of his favorite players and I think he has visited with Matt. I am trying to get the link to work but I think you have to register through the caring bridge site to view it. Not a big deal but not very convenient either
Matt

Let me know if this works for you guys, I am a member so it goes right to it but I dont know about others viewing the site. If it does work check out the photos. good stuff in there!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/27/09 05:55 PM
Omaha
Zach happens to be one of his favorite players and I think he has visited with Matt. I am trying to get the link to work but I think you have to register through the caring bridge site to view it. Not a big deal but not very convenient either
Matt

Let me know if this works for you guys, I am a member so it goes right to it but I dont know about others viewing the site. If it does work check out the photos. good stuff in there!

That is awesome that he's met Greinke. Zach has some pretty, uh, interesting quotes so I'm sure a conversation with him would have been entertaining to say the least. And the link works just fine for me.
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 02:17 AM
My prayers will be with him as well as you and the rest of his family.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 03:00 AM
We will keep Matt and his family in our thoughts and prayers. Tom&LindaLu
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 03:10 AM
Thanks guys! He is a tough kid and we hear his doc is the best around so we are praying for him as well.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 03:39 AM
Omaha
Matt

Matt & Zach

What a moment that must have been. I'm looking at the pictures at the link you provided and I am absolutely humbled at the amount of joy this boy gets out of life in spite of his condition. Kudos to you Matt and you can expect a neighborhood of postcards coming your way.
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 03:20 PM
In most organizations you will find good people if you really look, sometimes you will find lots of good people. I am always pleased when a organization comes out and really shines for such a cause.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/28/09 05:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
Omaha
Matt

Matt & Zach

What a moment that must have been. I'm looking at the pictures at the link you provided and I am absolutely humbled at the amount of joy this boy gets out of life in spite of his condition. Kudos to you Matt and you can expect a neighborhood of postcards coming your way.
Yes it was a great day for him, And that's the thing about Matt, Going through all this and he always manages to find a way to have a smile and is more concerned about the people surrounding him that are worried and upset.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/29/09 06:18 PM

Ok heres what we know so far! They went in to have a look at the tumor, it has grown from a shrunk size of a watermelon seed to the size of a walnut. They were going in to see if they could close off any blood vessels feeding the tumor before the surgery and they couldnt find any so I dont know if thats a good thing or not. Thank you guys for all your support on the forums and in private. Keep the prayers strong!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/29/09 07:02 PM
Thanks very much for the update TG. Still having the surgery tomorrow I assume?
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/29/09 07:12 PM
We're pulling for Matt! Please keep us updated.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/29/09 07:22 PM
Yes surgery tomorrow, I guess talking to his uncle earlier that Matt had a very bad night, no sleep and restless, Could you imagine? I lose sleep knowing I am going to the dentist the next day.
Will keep you guys informed
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 01:07 AM
They still don't have a room in the hospital I guess? I don't get much info other then his uncle calling me or me calling him but I don't want to pester them either, But his surgery is in the morning at 7:30 and somehow it is 2 day surgery long day I guess tomorrow then again on Friday after Matt has had some rest?
Doctor warned again that it is risky and to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Man this stinks!

Thanks for listening
bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 01:39 AM
That sounds next to unbearable, the waiting. We're here with you Bob, waiting on an update whenever you get a chance.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 02:28 AM
Update from Mom This just came across from the caringbridge site that she uses to communicate with everyone
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 03:36 AM
Update from Mom This just came across from the caringbridge site that she uses to communicate with everyone

Wow. That's difficult to read. Thanks for sharing Bob.
Posted By: Walt Foreman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 03:58 AM
Just now said a prayer and will say some more. Tell Matt that I'm believing for a full recovery and that he has an open invitation to fish the ponds I work with anytime.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 01:36 PM
Ok, Matt is in the first part of his surgery right now, I feel better after reading the credentials of the surgeon doing the operation. I appreciate you guys listening and sending good thoughts our way.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 01:59 PM
Thinking of Matt most all the time.
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 02:03 PM
Add me in on the prayer list...I just got caught up on the entire post...Bob, our family and church family are praying for him...
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 02:49 PM
I have found on the better forums if a pray request is made you will receive the prayers. My prayers are for this family and all that are involved.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 09:53 PM
Alright! So far so good! The surgery today was to remove the bone and skull that were in the way so that the tumor could be removed tomorrow. He is sedated I would assume a drug induced coma and the operation to remove the coma will start again in the morning. I hope you guys don't mind all the chit chat but it does help me deal with it a little better, seems if I say it out loud it is a little easier to think about whats going on.
Man this has got to be a Huge emotional roller coaster ride for Matt's parents. I will keep you posted

Bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 09:56 PM
Please keep up the chit chat Bob. It helps you and we appreciate the updates so we can stay "current" with our prayer requests.
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 10:24 PM
I'm praying for Matt. Please keep us updated, Bob.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 10:30 PM
Thank you for the update.
Posted By: Brettski Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/30/09 11:12 PM
Donna-ski and I are there with ya, T-guy and all of Matt's loved ones.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/31/09 03:42 PM
Update from Mom Matt's caring bridge site
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/31/09 04:13 PM
Sounds positive Bob. Thanks again for the updates.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/31/09 04:29 PM
Thanks for the updates, Bob. We're all thinking about Matt & you.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 07/31/09 08:39 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 02:53 AM
Well after 13 hours of surgery they are finally putting Matt back together, the doctor says he got all the nerves re attached and that he was able to remove almost all of the tumor, the almost part bothers me a bit, They wont know anything until tomorrow when they do a mri, Good thing is he made it through without complications that we know of. I guess we will find out some more tomorrow. Thanks to who ever sent cards down they said they were receiving cards in reference to me so I know it was from the pondboss or the vintage-mustang family.

Thank you guys I will keep you updated when I hear something
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 03:08 AM
Great news, Bob! I'm glad the surgery went well, and I hope it was 100% successful. Please keep us updated.
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 05:08 AM
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I will continue to pray for him.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 01:49 PM
Moms update at CaringBridge sounds like good news to me
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 11:48 PM
I log in several times a day waiting for an update. Looks positive to me.
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/01/09 11:58 PM
God's speed Matt. The PB family is thinking of you and your family.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/02/09 12:47 AM
Well They didnt do the MRI today, He is responding to voice and able to move things around but he hasn't waken yet, I dont think they are concerned I think it is typical of such a long procedure. The doctor was able to get 75% of the tumor, of course everyone was hoping for 100%. The tumor that was left was tied up into too many blood vessels and un reachable I guess, But the doctor seemed very positive so we will see. I haven't talked to them in a while so they may have more news, The parents and family are exhausted and relieved that their son is still with us. I really do appreciate the opportunity to share this with you guys it seems to take the edge off my concern's, I cant even imagine how Bob and Shari are dealing with all this.

Take care guys and I will update when I know something
Bob
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/02/09 02:57 PM
All good news I hope.

Thanks for including us.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/02/09 03:53 PM
Matt's mother posted this today:

"Update: Matthew is on day 2 of recovery. The 1st 48 hours are critical. He is still not awake, but he does respond by blinking his left eye and today has actually opened it more. He can squeeze his right hand when we ask him to. He really responds to Emileigh! He's had several cat scans and chest x-rays. Lots of tubes everywhere. Difficult to see and wish there was something Bob and I can do to take some this away from him. We are continuing to believe that God has a specific plan and we trust HIM with all of our heart and pray 24 hours a day for a miraculous healthy recovery!
Matt hasn't had an MRI yet because he needs to wake up 1st. When he gets that done, we will know how much of the tumor was removed. We do know that he couldn't get some of the tumor that is so attached to the brain stem. Right now Matt is listening to Star Wars Books on CD that the Dinneny's sent him, THANK YOU!!! Everyone - Thank You for all the cards and letters coming from all over! They are so wonderful to get and comforting. We have the one's Matt has gotten so far on the window ledge.

Bob and I are taking turns spending the night with Matt. Arkansas Children's Hospital is a great hospital and so is UAMS. Little Rock is a very friendly place and the people are so polite!

Whatever you believe - whoever is your HIGHER POWER - please keep asking for a miracle for matt! Matt has endured so much for a a teenager.

Also, sorry we haven't called. Please know - we appreciate all of you! I will do my best to update Carringbridge. An idea - might be to send an email or leave a voice message and we will try to respond when we can.

We love you all! - Peace-Light & LOVE!!!

Also, I know Matt would want to know that our friend Karen Camp (Miles for Matt) finished her first triathalon yesterday at Smithville Hospital! WAY TO GO KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!"
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/02/09 05:28 PM
HE HE. thank you Sunil you beat me to it. You guys are the best!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 04:07 AM
Update from Matt's mom Shari.

GREAT NEWS TO REPORT: Matt got his breathing tube out this afternoon at 3:00 pm - he is breathing on his own! Also, he lifted his right arm in front of Dr. Al-Mefty - he said "it was the fruit of his day"!

Can we get a woo-hoo - amen - halleluah - thank God? Thank you all for your prayers, positive thoughts, calls, cards, etc... WE FEEL THE LOVE and WE KNOW - MATT HAS MANY ANGELS ON EARTH AND FROM ABOVE WATCHING OVER HIM.

PaPa, Nonnie & Emileigh left this afternoon. Bob and I will keep taking turns spending the night with Matt. Only 1 parent in the room over night. Tonight is Bob's turn.

I will update more later. We can't use cell phones in the ICU. So, if you try to call our phones, leave a message and we will try to call you when we can.
peace-light & love, FOR MATT - The Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 12:24 PM
Great to hear Bob.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 01:18 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: Brettski Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 01:24 PM
- amen - halleluah - thank God?

absotootly!
Praise be...
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 02:25 PM
I think this is real good considering his right side was being effected by the tumor and now he is moving it. I hope they have a long term game plan. I guess its a wait and see?
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 10:14 PM
Good progress with Matt today he is able to now move his right arm which before the surgery it was very limited and he laughed and smiled, the smiling part thrilled the DR since he was concerned about the nerves that he had to re attach I guess were part of his face so things seem to be getting better,I didn't know you could cut nerves and then reconnect them, Amazing! no talk of what to do next about the remaining tumor. Matt may have to go through speech therapy but we will see. When Mom up dates I will let you know, I know family members are breathing sighs of relief.
thanks guys
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/04/09 11:00 PM
Great news, thanks!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/05/09 12:19 AM
Great to hear. Wonderful progress already. Prayers from here.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/05/09 01:10 AM
Great to hear Bob. Thanks again for the updates.
Posted By: esshup Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/05/09 01:16 AM
Good news. I'll keep up with the Prayers!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/05/09 10:32 PM
Update from MOM! Sounds like great news to me,

Let me just say THANK YOU for ALL of the prayers - the Hernan's do Believe in the Power of Prayer and we are at Peace that everything is in God's Hands! So, with that, sit back, relax and get ready for A LOT of good news: MAINLY - MATT IS TUBE FREE! I was going to list all of them - and realized I didn't know what they were called! The only tube he has in, is the one he came with - that is his G-tube. So, everything is being administered thru that. Right now, he is only getting Tylenol. Amazing!

Monday night he was given a different bed that helps with circulation in his legs, arms and chest. It also moves him in positions to sit up like he is actually in a chair. The Doctors want him to be up right most of the day tomorrow.

He is continuing to receive respiratory therapy every 4 hours, this is to prevent Matt from getting pneumonia. Yesterday he received Physical Therapy, today he received Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.

He is 'awake' so to speak. He just can't talk yet. He does squeeze our hands when we ask him yes or no and multiple questions and Matt blinks as well. Before surgery, Nonnie came up with some signs for each one of us - and Matt has been doing those. Nonnie's is the 'I love you' sign, PaPa's is the 'thumbs up' sign, Emileigh's is the 'pinkie' sign, mine is the 'Peace sign' (of course) and that only leaves 1 finger left for Bob as his sign - I'll let you figure it out! ;\) I've never seen someone so happy to get that sign as Bob is when Matt gives it to him! Here is my happy news - he can say MOM! YAHOO! Tomorrow the Doctor's are going to change the dressing on his head and check everything. Either tomorrow afternoon or Friday - he will be getting out of ICU! WOW - right!? Do me a favor, take a moment to say 'THANK YOU' to your higher being - ours is GOD! And, I want to shout to the heavens, THANK YOU LORD - THANK YOU ANGELS - THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, the Power of Prayer is working here!!

The next thing we need to pray about is Matt's MRI. When we find out just how much of the tumor Dr. Al-Mefty did remove. We do know that there is part of the tumor that is still on the brain stem - it is too compacted on the brain stem to remove surgically. So, that is the next piece of news we will be waiting for. Matt did have a few issues they were concerned about, but have been taken care of, one being high blood pressure and the other pneumonia and aspiration. We are learning to take everything one day at a time. Matthew has quite a lot of work ahead of him! I just wish all of you could have seen him last week, each day before his procedures and before going into surgery. Matt was so strong and so brave and we are so very proud of him.

I just want to say - Arkansas Children's Hospital is WONDERFUL! The Nurses are INCREDIBLE! ALL OF THEM! The Doctor's are PHENOMINAL. Dr. Al-Mefty, Dr. Dunn and Dr. Barr - they are top in their field and it shows. Yet, they are kind and comforting. Matt is blessed to be where he is. Bob and I feel so at peace that we are here.

Peace - Light & Love - The Hernan Family from Little Rock, Arkansas.
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/05/09 11:46 PM
Awesome news, Bob. Praise the Lord for Matt's great progress!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/06/09 12:23 AM
Great news, we're all pulling for him, and praying for continued improvement.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/06/09 10:59 AM
What is the prognosis about the next step?
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/06/09 11:55 AM
Fantastic to hear. God provides in miraculous ways.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/06/09 02:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
What is the prognosis about the next step?

I havent heard yet, I am thinking that they still want to have a look at the amount of tumor reduction to see what the next step is.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/08/09 09:31 PM
Mom update

"Baby Steps" - Matt is out of ICU and now is in Intermediate Care'. He got out of ICU Thursday. Matthew has a long recovery in front of him. Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy. He has started all of it here and will continue in KC at an in-house re-hab at Children's Mercy. Yesterday the PT team 'slid' Matt out of his bed into a special wheel chair to sit up for about an hour. In speech therapy Matt said the letters 'I' and 'A'. Last night it was my turn to stay the night at the hospital with him and he laughed in his sleep and had the most beautiful smile!

Thank you for the cards, messages and gift cards for Matt and our family. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers, as always, I would like to ask for continued prayers for Matt. Thank you for keeping your candles lit for him too!

Aunt Traci sent us a wonderful package of Willow Angels! Thank You!

We would like to ask for prayers for our friend Lily Preston. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilypreston

peace - light & love, the hernan family
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/09/09 03:22 AM
That is just fantastic news Bob, all around. Wow. Thanks a million for the updates and please continue as Matt progresses. I loved reading his mother's post, I mean, that's just great, I can't imagine. And I will look into Lily's story and will certainly add her to our prayer list as well.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/09/09 05:52 PM

Mom's update:

Matthew will be going back into surgery at 1:00 today. Friday after the doctor's changed the dressing there was some leaking from Matt's ear - they weren't concerned at first, but it hasn't stopped. Matt has been lethargic the last 2 days. There are several possibilities. We will know more after the surgery. It's not brain surgery - it is by his ear. Matt will be in PICU after the surgery. We are doing our best to stay positive and trust and know Matt is in God's hands. Thank you for praying and lighting candles. Peace-Light & Shari & Bob Love,

Hang in there Matt we are praying for you!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/10/09 04:22 AM
Update from Dad

Hello, first of all this Bob, Shari is staying with Matt at the ICU tonight. Matt's latest surgery was about 3 hours and Dr Al-Mefty was pretty sure he found the leak that was draining into his ear. Matt had not opened his eyes before I left at 10:00 pm, but he has responded to stimuli and was not on a breathing tube. (thank God). Shari is very sad and needs support from all her friends, so please text her (we can't use cell phones in the ICU) HER HEART IS SADDEN. Thank all of you for praying for my son and we would ask if you could continue to do so. We will continue to update as we know more about Matt's journey. Thank you all and as Shari would say Peace- Light and Love.... BOB
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/10/09 04:31 AM
I cannot begin to imagine what you're going through... Your son and family continue to be in my family and I's thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Walt Foreman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/10/09 04:34 AM
Still praying and believing for a miracle work, Bob. Have faith.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/10/09 02:42 PM
Thanks guys! I think that Bob and Shari are getting these messages through Shari's brother Jim. We are holding strong and praying for everyone.

I think there might be some confusion. Bob and Shari are my cousins and Matt is their son but they dont mind. They were telling me lots of people had made mention from pondboss...Good job guys.

you guys are the best.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/11/09 03:13 AM
I hope you guys don't mind the post, it seems like a up and down ride lately and at time seems awkward to update. I really don't know what to do other then keep praying, maybe I will send a steak dinner or something, Hospital food after awhile in it self is reason to get better and leave.

Mom's Update today

Bob did a great job on his 1st journal entry, didn't he? This is what has happened today: Matt had a 'spinal fluid pressure check'. His pressure was very high, indicating too much fluid in his central nervous system. Could be an infection or an internal leak. Fluid was drained today and the surgeons will re-check the pressure in the morning. Today, Matt has had a Cat Scan, MRI & MRV. Right now he is being prepared for an ECG for overnight observation for internal seizures, which are treatable by medication. Because of the fluid pressure build up - Matt has been very lethargic..which is a concern. Thank you for all of the messages and texts. The love, prayers and support you all have shown and continue to show keeps us positive and we feel the love, we need the love. Looks like Matt will be here longer than expected. Bob and I have a system down and we take turns spending the night. I went to the store tonight to get some stuff to make sandwiches, and dinners-because we are done with hospital food! Also, thank you for your concerns for Emileigh. She is in Iowa with Heather and the Lemke's - thank God for our dear friends. Thank you very much to Aunt Darcy - she drove Emileigh to Iowa for us! Yesterday, Nathan, Teresa & Jason came to visit us from Springfield, MO. They brought us lunch, visited a while and got to see Matt briefly. Lunch was awesome and the visit was needed, appreciated and uplifting. We keep telling Matt that Nathan was here to see him. I gave Nathan the OK when Matt get's better - they can create anything they want and make all of the messes they want together with all of the duct tape, card board, pvc pipe they want - I told Nathan, they could even use my china! Looking forward to that day! Peace - Light & Love, Shari & Bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/11/09 03:31 AM
I hope you guys don't mind the post, it seems like a up and down ride lately and at time seems awkward to update.

Are you kidding me? I've subscribed and intentionally look for this thread Bob. I copy your updates and send them out to my 'prayer chain' via email (address book is 100+ ;)). Please continue and don't think for a second we're not hanging on every letter you type.
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/11/09 08:29 AM
A friendly reminder, and a joy to remember that God is always in control, and he is watching even when the situation complicates and we know that He works to the good of those who love Him. We can only hope to be a encouragement to Matt and his family as we continue to pray and find ourselves touched by his endearing spirit and the works that God is doing in his body and life.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/12/09 02:20 AM
More info on Matt from Mom

This morning the surgeon did a follow-up spinal fluid pressure check. Normal pressure is between 140 and 200 - Matt's yesterday was over 300, today it was at 200. They will re-check it Wednesday in the morning. If it is 200 or less, that is what the doctors want to see. If not, he will have to have surgery to put a 'shunt' (drain) from his brain to his stomach. The MRI results looked good - no fluid build up. Matt is still not awake. He responds a little bit to me messing with him or Bob talking to him. He has received a few musical/talking cards and we play those for him to try and get a response. We will update more later. Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/12/09 03:26 AM
This kid is really fighting hard.

Redoubling our thoughts of Matt over here.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/12/09 03:41 AM
For sure! He is a trooper, Not another kid like him.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/12/09 01:12 PM
Good news this AM?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 02:54 AM
Hi Bob

Sorry very late in checking in...am adding him to our good vibes list at the Hudson household.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 03:00 AM
Moms update this evenin

sounds better to me, Thank you guys

I am back in the hotel and it's Bob's turn to spend the night with Matt at the hospital. The spinal fluid pressure test came back at 160 - so, the doctor's are holding off on a surgery for the shunt. Thank God! They will do another test on Friday to see where the pressure is. We are getting a little more response from Matt each day. Today we put the phone up to his ear and Uncle Jimmy and Nonnie both talked to him and could hear some moans and Uncle Jimmy heard him laugh. He sort of opened his eye today too. The tv/music system in the room is great. I played some music for Matt - Tom Petty, Nelly, Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz and Esther the Child Life Social Worker let us borrow her Beatles CD. Bob watched Rush Hour 2 with Matt twice today. We try to keep the tv or music on Matt's favorites; sports, family guy, etc... I told him today he was like 'Sleeping Beauty' - but, he needs a PRINCESS to come kiss him to wake him up - because MY kisses aren't working (obviously)! I am just MOM! Bob continues to tell him funny stories and tickle him as well and he can get him to laugh. The nurses in PICU are so wonderful! Every single one of them! We totally admire their profession. I keep telling them - just wait until you can REALLY meet Matt - he will be exactly like we've described him and MORE!

Bob and I are missing Emileigh so much. We wish she were here - she and Matthew share a special bond, they have from the day Matt was born. Emileigh could really get a response from him while she was here. She is a strong young lady and I'm very proud of her. She will be starting school next week - her senior year. I'm hoping some way - that I can be there for her on her 1st day of school.

We wish we could express thru Matt's site the overwhelming love and appreciation we have for all of you - your thoughts, prayers, support, cards, and love. Because of this we continue to be strong and know that God has a very very special plan for Matthew Robert Hernan!

Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan Family
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 11:04 AM
Great news! Thanks for the update.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 01:05 PM
Liking the updates Bob. Keep em coming.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 10:50 PM
Moms update

Wanted to update because we need all of our friends,family, prayer warriors, to send prayers and positive thoughts for Matt. Today Matt has yet another obstacle to overcome. The MRI showed that Matt has a blood clot on his brain on his left side. The Neurosurgeons don't want to do surgery again - because Matt has just had 3 surgeries in the last 2 weeks. An option would be to give Matt blood thinners but that could cause hemorage(sp) because he just had surgery. Or the clot could heal it self. (that is what we are praying and hoping for)! They are going to watch Matt and they have him still on an ECG for internal seizures. Clinically the surgeon said Matt is progressing. He saw Matt smile when I read him what Uncle Jimmy wrote on his guest book. He also said he has a patient with a brain tumor - NOT on the brain stem like Matts and the patient took 4 days to wake up.
Matt's spinal fluid pressure was at 13 today.
Good News! Matt will also re-start physical and occupational therapy this afternoon.

We have the movie Step Brothers on for Matt right now and then we will watch Talladega nights with him.

peace - light & love - The Hernan's
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/13/09 11:07 PM
Notice anything about these pictures of Matt?

I dont know how he does it but he is able to stay positive through all this and smiles all the time. What a kid! What a trooper! Way to go Matt keep up the fight!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/14/09 01:04 AM
We'll pray his body takes care of that blood clot Bob. Keep it up Matt and we look forward to more progress.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/15/09 04:04 AM
Talked to Grandma Nonnie tonight and basically they are waiting for Matt to wake up, with all the surgery's the doctors say it can take several days for everything to come together and the trauma to subside or at least thats how I understand it.

I would also like to bring something to the attention of the rest of the pondposs family, I have been talking to Corey and Lauri WE know them as (RC51) via email for local information down by the Hospital such as restaurants trying to find out what if any nice places to eat to send them a gift card or something, that's when Corey and Lauri so generously offered to prepare a home cooked meal and personally deliver it to them!
Lauri was able to speak with them today when she dropped off dinner for them, On behalf of my family I would like to thank you and your family for being so thoughtful and considerate to take time out of your busy day to help out total strangers that you have never met. God bless you guys and your family.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/15/09 10:39 AM
Going the extra mile.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/16/09 04:10 AM
Mom's update

Matt is out of ICU and back to the Intermediate floor - 3C room 4. His left eye has been open a little more today and yesterday. Bob and I had Matt laughing. Still sleeping A LOT! He is on an IV antibiotic and aspirin. He might have another Lumbar puncture tomorrow to determine his spinal fluid pressure. Looks like Matt will be in the hospital until the end of next week or the following week. PaPa, Nonnie & Emileigh are coming to visit Matt tomorrow and I will go back home with them to be with Emileigh when she starts her SENIOR year. I will stay a couple of days and come back to be with Matt. I have a feeling Bob will stay at the hospital 24/7. Please keep both in your prayers.

Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/17/09 01:39 AM
Hey Bob it was my pleasure. Lauri talked with Shari for a bit and Bob loved the roasted chicken and rolls!!! Glad to hear Matt is doing better. We told Shari if she needs someone to talk to she could call Lauri anytime. Our thoughts and prayers are with them every day.

God Bless,
RC51
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/18/09 03:06 AM
Moms update sound a whole lot better!

Yesterday - Mom, Emileigh and UNCLE JIMMY came to pick me up in Little Rock to be home with Emileigh to get her ready for school starting on Tuesday. Uncle Jimmy surprised me and got to see Matt. PaPa isn't feeling well and he most likely will have to have gall bladder surgery \:\(
Bob said last night Matt was watching America's Funniest Videos with him (Matt had his glasses on) and he was laughing at the show!!! YEAH!
The ride back home was nice. We are missing Matt and Bob though. I talked to Bob this morning and Matt's dressing was changed and sutures were taken out. Bob said it looked good. Dr. Barr told Bob that the treatment for the blood clot isn't an 'over night' solution and Matt will have to continue with the aspirin for a while. Also, as soon as Matt is more awake the OT, PT and Speech Therapy will be best for him and the Therapists will really work him.
Please keep Matt in your thoughts and prayers - he has a long long road to recovery - most likely one year.

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for The Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/18/09 12:20 PM
AFV is a hilarious show. Glad to see things are looking up again.
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/18/09 02:52 PM
My prayers are with this young man and his family. I could not begin to say I know how they feel, I just can not amagine what they are going thru. The organizations I am a member of will have this family in our prayers.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/19/09 01:49 AM
How about another update!

Another update from Bob (early evening): Matt MIGHT get to come HOME Thursday or Friday! Home: meaning back to Kansas City - he will be in a re-hab facility! I will update as soon as we know for SURE!!!
He's still running a fever though?
Loving the POWER of PRAYER! Loving the everyone who has and is 'there' for our family!
We appreciate you!
From this afternoon:
Update from Bob: Yesterday the Physical Therapist had Matt in a special wheel chair. So, Bob got permission to take him out of the room and took Matt to a court yard off of Matt's floor. Bob said Matt's left eye was wide open and he seemed to like being outside and the change of scenery.
His spinal fluid pressure was checked yesterday and it was at 130 - same as a few days ago - it's stable and at a good number. Matt has been running a slight fever the last few days and is taking tylenol.

Keeping Matt in your thoughts and prayers comforts us - thank you!

Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/19/09 02:11 AM
We'll continue to pray and pray that he gets to sleep in his own bed by this weekend!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 02:44 AM
SWEET UPDATE from Mom!

MATT IS COMING HOME ON FRIDAY!!!
Well - to the Children's Mercy Hospital, but, not the rehab facility yet. WOO-HOO!
Matt will be on a Medical Flight and Bob will fly back on a commercial flight. We will be at the hospital waiting for Matt!

I will let everyone know the time Matt gets to Kansas City and when he can have visitors!

Thank you for your positive thoughts & prayers!

peace - light & love ~ Shari, Bob, Emileigh and our Awesome, Amazing, Strong - Mattie - Bobby - Matt - Matthew - Meeth !!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 03:06 AM
ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 03:48 AM
Wonderful, so glad to hear...
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 06:40 AM
I am very happy to hear this. \:\) What a great day.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 10:21 AM
That's great
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 01:10 PM
Awesome news Bob.
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 01:38 PM
Great news !!! Thanks for the update.

Trials can you provide an address (home or hospital) ?
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/20/09 09:43 PM
ewest their home address is:
Bob and Shari Hernan
1705 Cinnabar Drive
Raymore, Mo. 64083

I don't know which one of the Children's Mercy Hospital he will be moved to though, or at least I haven't asked them yet.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/21/09 08:39 PM
Mom's Update! WOOHOOOO!!!!

Right now Matt is on a flight back to KC!! He has 2 nurses with him, 2 pilots and 2 assistants! The plane will be landing about 1:00/1:30 and then he will be on an ambulance to Children's Mercy Hospital - downtown. Of course, Nonnie and I will be waiting at the hospital for Matt to arrive. As soon as I know what room, visiting hours, etc...I will update the site. I will be staying the night with Matt tonight and Bob's flight gets in after 10 pm. We will continue to take turns spending the night with him.

Again, thank you sooooooo very very much for your thoughts and prayers and we would love for everyone to continue, if you don't mind? Matt has a long - long road to recovery. We are praying he will get the same wonderful care as he did in Little Rock. Everyone at both hospitals were WONDERFUL, the hotel: Markham House Suites too! Everyone there helped us in so many ways! We even met someone thru my cousin. Lauri Holtz - she brought us 2 delicious dinners! Thank You Lauri.

Also, a very special 'THANK YOU' to the person(s) who took care of our trip; our flights and our stay at the hotel. So generous and thoughtful! It was one less worry and we appreciate everything! Thank You!

I (we) are looking forward to the day Matt is healthy and we can help others that are in a similar situation. While I was at the hospital, I came up with a few ideas.

(for Matthew) You, Lord, protect me and You preserve my life; You bless me. You sustain me on my sickbed and restore me from my bed of illness. Psalm 42:11

peace-light & love, The Hernan's

Posted By: Brettski Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/21/09 09:26 PM

(for Matthew) You, Lord, protect me and You preserve my life; You bless me. You sustain me on my sickbed and restore me from my bed of illness. Psalm 42:11

Amen!

Keep the good news comin, man!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/22/09 02:37 AM
More news from Mom, My adams apple felt funny and swelled up on me when I read this one. ;\)

Matt is at Children's Mercy Hospital. 4H - room 16. He was here at about 1:30. Our Case Worker was waiting with him when Nonnie and I got here. I kissed his face all over! I can do that - I'm the MOM! \:\) Anyway, I had him laughing and then a team of doctors came in to meet Matt and they started dancing and he was really laughing!

Visiting hours are from 9 to 9 every day and Bob and I can stay all night.
Nonnie stayed with us and then went to get Emileigh and picked up dinner for the 3 of us. Uncle Doug & Aunt Deb are picking up Bob from the airport - his flight changed and his flight will be here at 11 pm.

peace - light & love ~ shari for the hernan family
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/26/09 06:50 PM
Just read the update on Caring Bridge. I'll let Bob paste it here though, but wanted to say I'm jealous. Matt got to meet Billy Butler, 1B for the Royals. I was following his career through the minors so consider me envious. ;\)
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/26/09 08:17 PM
HE HE you got it before I did, Mom's Update

Shewee - I have a lot to catch up on in updating Matt's site!

I'll start where I left off on Friday. Bob's plane didn't get in to KC until AFTER MIDNIGHT! Thank you Uncle Doug and Aunt Deb for picking him up so late.

Saturday: Unk Jim came to visit Matt and brought balloons. He stayed most of the morning with us. Bob and Emileigh came up and the 3 of us stayed with Matt all day. I stayed the night with Matt.

Sunday: Bob and Emileigh came up around noon and Matt had several visitors! Uncle Doug, Aunt Deb & Ali, they brought him a Dave Chappelle DVD. Aunt Darce, Uncle Mike and Jake visited! Aunt Darce made us chocolate chip cookies and brought Matt a STYX CD (Matt likes Rock Music)! Nonnie and PaPa came to visit after the Royals game and then...Randy and Nathan came to visit!!!! Matt was having a good day with all of his visitors - sleeping most of the time - but, when Nathan (his best friend) came in - he woke right up and was smiling and laughing! They stayed for a couple of hours then Randy had to get Nathan back to Springfield to start school.
After that visit, PaPa, Bob & Emileigh went to get Gates BBQ for our dinner - thanks PAPA! We were starving! ;\) I believe it was a good day for all of us - especially Matt!
(We found out PaPa has to have surgery on Sept 9th to remove his gall bladder).
Sunday night Bob stayed with Matt. Monday morning Matt had all the therapies: OT, PT and speech therapy. Aunt Traci & Blair came to visit Matt and brought balloons!!
Tuesday was a very busy day too!~ By the way - Happy Birthday Uncle Jimmy and Happy Anniversary Nonnie & Papa - YESTERDAY \:\)
A lot of doctors, therapist and case workers were in and out. Uncle Jimmy came to visit too! Matt got the biggest smile on his face when he heard Uncle Jimmy's voice before he saw him!

Jeff brought Billy Butler (1st baseman) with the Kansas City Royals to visit Matt. He brought him a bat and signed it - and signed a jersey Matt already had. We have a picture I will post as soon as I get it down loaded. Matt was sooooooooooooooo very very happy!
WOW - huh?

Matt has been weepy the last few mornings. Maybe I can give you a clear picture of Matt. We know he can hear us and his left eye opens and he recognizes us. His right eye still stays closed. Matt is moving his arms just a little bit. We know he is frustrated with that. Matthew has always been very active, so we know he wants to be doing stuff on his own! We are praying for his "faith","determination" and "strong will" that has gotten him this far in his journey to come out and keep him going! Please pray with us and for us. Pray for his determination, strength, faith a long with Emileigh, Bob and myself. This is and has been a long journey already and we need and want to be there for Matt to get where HE wants to be: walking, talking, playing baseball, basketball, golf, sports in general, writing, drawing, creating, movie making, etc... and as well as I know my son, he will want to help others with their journey!

Bob stayed with Matt last night after he and I went to a 'meet the teachers' night for Emileigh.

Right now Matt is on the Hemonc floor (4th) he really doesn't need to be on this floor but, they all of the doctors and therapists are deciding when Matt will be able to go to the Rehab floor. We all are hoping this move will be soon. Today Aunt Traci came to visit bearing gifts as usual - she spoils us! She brought Matt movies and Bob Gates BBQ for lunch.

peace - light & love, Shari for the Hernan Family!
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/26/09 08:21 PM
We'll keep pulling for Matt.

He's going through more than most of us ever have to endure.

Stong kid.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/28/09 10:25 PM
Mom's update

We have faith Matt keep up the fight big Man!

Yesterday Matt was moved to the REHAB floor/5th floor - 5 Sutherland. His room number is #1 at Children's Mercy. Matt had a busy day yesterday. All therapies and a couple of exams. He had to go to the Ear, Nose & Throat doctor to have is hearing checked. His left ear is perfect, but his right ear drum was actually sutured shut because of the leak. Now, he can barely hear out of his right ear and he cannot see out of his right eye - all because of the damage on his nerves from the tumor.
Early yesterday morning, Matt woke me up with 'sounds' he was making. That is a good sign. He has been 'weepy' the last few days - either because he's frustrated and/or in pain. Bob thinks it's only when I am with him. Possibly he feels ok to let his emotions out?

The Doctor's suggested Matthew be put on a medication for a syndrome they think Matt might have - it's called "Locked In" Syndrome. He started the med on Wednesday. They are hoping this will help Matt become more 'awake' - so to speak. When I kissed Matthew good-bye last night - he did flinch a little bit! I also noticed last night - he grabbed the bed rail.

To be totally honest, yesterday was 'one' of the more difficult days I've had. I think it was a mixture of emotions, mostly realizing what a strong son I have, the difficult road a head of him and all of the damage the tumor has done to Matthew's body! Also, because I know he wants to communicate with us so badly...and I would give anything to take his place - to make everything all better for him. (I know Bob feels the exact same way)! Thank God for Bob - he is a strong man; a wonderful father to Matt and Emileigh and a thoughtful husband - he is our ROCK!
We will continue believing GOD has a SPECIAL plan for Matthew and know he will give Matt and our family the love, strength and courage we need to help Matt! We have FAITH! We have family and friends who love and pray for Matt. By the Grace of God Matthew will be healed and we will all be inspired by Matt's journey.

WE BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF PRAYER AND POSITIVE THINKING!

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/28/09 10:33 PM
Keep the good news coming.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/29/09 03:12 AM
Man, that was hard to read. Thanks for the update as usual Bob. Keep us informed. I know it might seem strange that basic strangers are as interested in your updates as we are, but believe when I say that I look for this subscribed thread in my email whenever I open it. Stay strong Matt, you're a heckuva kid.
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/29/09 03:09 PM
We have all of you in our prayers daily. May the Lord bless and take care of all of you.
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/30/09 01:37 AM
Bob,

Lauri and I continue to pray for Matt as well as people from our church. By your report i can't tell if that sounds good or bad???? Sounds like a tough time for all of you and Matt. I hope and pray he gets better. The boy has reached and touched a lot of people and still is. His purpose in life may be happening as we speak and we don't even relize it!!!

Keep the faith,
God Bless RC51 and family.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 08/31/09 04:24 AM
We are planning on a visit next weekend, I should have already been down there but I wanted them guys to get settled in here but it seems they are always looking for company and don't mind the visitors anytime till 9pm. It seems to be a roller coaster ride of up and down days but to me it sounds like Matt is inching forward. He is making progress and Mom says he raised his right arm! We are praying full steam ahead.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/01/09 03:34 PM
Mom's update from the caringbridge site

This Prayer was on my FACEBOOK tonight when I got home from the hospital. I wanted to share it:

A PRAYER FOR MATTHEW
God of the Universe, we implore Thee: cast Thy Holy Gaze upon Thy humble servant, Matthew, and have mercy upon him. Sprinkle his feverish brow with Thy Infinite Love and Compassion. Shower him with the Everlasting Rapture of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We pray Thee to allow Matthew to live a long and productive life in service to Thee. We pray for his mother, Shari; father, Bob, sister, Emileigh, Uncle Jim, his extended family, and host of friends and loved ones. Help them and help us, Heavenly Father, to understand Thy Will. Thou art the Alpha and the Omega, the End-all, Be-all, Whose love surpasses all human understanding. With the sure knowledge that Thou art the Final Arbiter of our lives and our salvation, we ask that Thou hearest our prayer and heed our love for Matthew. When the time comes, decreed by thy Supreme Wisdom, for Matthew to enter into the cradle of Thy Divine and Eternal Love, help us to understand and to glorify Thy Hallowed Name such that It echoes across the heavens and the earth forever and ever.
We ask this in Thy Holy Name and according to Thy Will, Amen!

Matt has a long 3 days! Friday was great! Had LOTS of visitors; Thank you, Traci, Blair, Rosemary, Belinda, PaPa, Nonnie, Aunt Deb, Uncle Doug, Mesha, Dave & Jarod Camden for visiting and for the gifts you brought for Matt! Saturday, PaPa & Nonnie came to stay with Matt during the day so Bob and I could spend some time together. We had lunch together. It was nice - we were exhausted, but it was nice to have the time together. Saturday afternoon is when Matt started not feeling well and it lasted until this afternoon. It was too quiet; with just me, Bob and Emileigh with Matt the whole weekend.
Today was a busy one for Matt - he had OT, PT, Speech & Music Therapy and a teacher came by to read to him. Also, he had to have another xray of his chest - the Doctors are watching Matt for pneumonia. I spent the night last night and Matt was up most of the night. He was exhausted by this afternoon and finally took a nap at 4:30 pm. Bob is with him tonight. Emileigh and I left about 9:15 pm. Matt had 2 great nurses caring for him tonight. That always makes me more comfortable thru the night.

On September 9, 2009 (09-09-09) @ 9:00 AM or PM (OR BOTH), PLEASE light a candle for Matthew - for his fight, for his strength, for his faith, for his endurance, for his HEALING- for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN!!!!!

peace - light & love, shari for The Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/01/09 03:36 PM
I saw this too and can't tell if it's good or bad news sometimes, but any news is nice to hear. Keep em coming Bob.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/07/09 10:50 PM
Mom's update

I didn't realize it had been a week since I've updated. I kind of have mixed emotions about updating. I hope everyone understands.

I will start with Thursday: We had a family meeting with the team of Rehab Doctors, the Therapists, Social Worker, Nutritionist and Matt's Care Manager. Matthew is on a medication for 'LOCKED IN' syndrome. Which we aren't for sure Matt really has. Anyway, the meeting went well. They are thinking Matt will get to come home in about 2 weeks!!! With that, Matt will have to have a special bed and a hoist to get him in and out of bed and into his wheel chair. We will be making the dining room Matt's room. This way he will be by the living room and kitchen so Bob and I will be able to care for him. We will also have someone to help us at the beginning. It was also decided that Matt have another MRI to see where the blood clot was and whether to continue the aspirin for it. As well as finding out about the tumor.
Friday morning: started early - @ 6:00 am. Matt was taken to radiology for his MRI. When he got back to his room - ALL of his therapies began! Aunt Darcy came to visit and brought him a Foreigner's CD and a 'Man of Steel' t-shirt! Then, we had visitors from TUCSON - woo-hoo! Mrs. Riggers (Robyn) Matt and Emileigh's music teacher from Donaldson and her husband Mike came by to see Matt! Matt was very happy and so was I! She brought a poster for Matt and pictures of some of the teachers, staff and students! We have them hanging in Matt's room!
The Doctor came in to tell us the results of the MRI. (Bob wasn't at the hospital yet) thank God, Aunt Darcy was with us. The tumor is the same - but, the MRI showed another blood clot! Since it was the beginning of a holiday weekend - we have to wait until Tuesday to find out the treament. The concern is how many days out from Matt's surgery is safe to give him blood thinning medication.
Friday evening: Matt had more visitors! A friend of his before we moved to Tucson, Brody! He and Matt were friends in preschool to elementary school. Brody's family came to visit too! Brody made Matt's night!
Saturday: Bob stayed with Matt and had several visitors - Aunt Deb, Uncle Doug and Aunt Traci and Nonnie!
Sunday: Matt and I watched 6Teen, iCarly, listened to Star Wars Book on Cd and a Healing CD, it was a mellow day --- EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT....MATT MOVED HIS HEAD BACK AND FORTH AND CONTINUED TO MOVE HIS HEAD!
Brody's family came for another visit and brought an incredible tray of meat & cheeses and fruit! Yummy! Aunt Deb & Uncle Doug had Bob and Emileigh over for dinner and they brought me dinner too!
Monday: Bob is with Matt and they have already listened to Styx and Foreigner. Nonnie has visited, and there are more visitors on the way. MATT CONTINUES to MOVE HIS HEAD!!!
Thank you for all of the visits!
I will update Tuesday or Wednesday on the next 'steps' for Matt. Please continue your prayers, for Matt's progress, healing, strength and faith!

On September 9, 2009 (09-09-09) @ 9:00 AM or PM (OR BOTH), PLEASE light a candle for Matthew - for his fight, for his strength, for his faith, for his endurance, for his HEALING- for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN!
God has blessed Matt and our family with wonderful family and friends - thank you for 'being there' for us!

peace, light & love ~ Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/09/09 05:36 PM
check this out!!!!

Good Morning on 9-9-09!

Wanted to share some of our joy and happiness with everyone!
Matthew had an amazing day yesterday. Our hearts are happy! He is moving his head back and forth and lets us know he is telling us "no"! He's working on his head moving up and down for 'yes'! But, the therapists noticed Matt was moving his index finger on his right hand - so, when he moves that finger it means 'yes'! Remember I mentioned before surgery that we all have our own signs for Matt to give us? Matthew did my sign (a full-on Peace sign) Do it - and you will see what I mean - he had to raise his index and middle fingers then use his thumb to hold the other 2 fingers down! Amazing - right? Then, of course, Bob needed to see his sign - and Matthew gave him that one too! (I think you all remember which sign is Bob's) :)They both just laugh! Last night was Bob's turn to spend the night - so, when I was saying my good-bye's and giving kisses, Matt WAVED good-bye to me! Aaaah - GOD is GOOD and PRAYER IS POWERFUL!! OH, and MATT IS MAGNIFICENT! Yesterday - Matt surprised all of his Therapist by showing them he could move his head, they were so happy! What is so wonderful, Matt is being 'weaned' off of the medication for the 'locked-in syndrome' the Doctor's think he has...hmmm...interesting?

Another great part of yesterday for Matt - 3 Chiefs Cheerleaders came by to visit him! Oh my goodness, wait until you see the pictures, he was one happy young man! The Cheerleaders were so nice. Thank you Patti for getting the ball rolling on that visit!

It feels so good to share happy news! We didn't get much information yesterday on the blood clots and medication Matt might take to treat them.

On September 9, 2009 TODAY (09-09-09) @ 9:00 AM or PM (OR BOTH), PLEASE light a candle for Matthew - for his fight, for his strength, for his faith, for his endurance, for his HEALING- for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN!
God has blessed Matt and our family with wonderful family and friends - thank you for 'being there' for us!

peace ~ light & love, The Happy Hernan's!
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/09/09 05:45 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/09/09 06:19 PM
Some of the better news we've seen. And I think I read they're going home in a couple weeks too, correct? That's great.
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/09/09 08:04 PM
Bob and Sherri

Hold your sons hand and read this to him! Sherri you are to put your hands on his head as well.

Read this to Matthew not sure why but I was told to pass this on to you. I read it and the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I started to weep for your son. Bob read this out loud to Matt for some reason he needs it and make sure your holding his hand!!!! And Sherri needs to be touching his head! There is power in his word!!!

Luke 6- 8-10

But Jesus knew their thoughts. He said to the man with the deformed hand, “Come and stand in front of everyone.” So the man came forward. 9 Then Jesus said to his critics, “I have a question for you. Does the law permit good deeds on the Sabbath, or is it a day for doing evil? Is this a day to save life or to destroy it?”

10 He looked around at them one by one and then said to the man, “Hold out your hand.” So the man held out his hand, and it was restored!

Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/09/09 08:26 PM
Thanks Corey I have posted this on his guest book and will try to relay it to them other ways. and you are right I got goose bumps reading it as well. Thank you.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/15/09 04:30 AM
Its been a while, Mom's update tonight sounds good to me guys, keep up the prayers.

Thanks

Matt has accomplished A LOT since Wednesday! Matt can move his head up and down for YES - he can move his entire right hand and arm! His right toes are starting to move too!
Emileigh and Matt played 'rock-paper-scissors' last night. I think I've said this before - but, it's so worth saying again and again, Emileigh is Matt's best therapist! She does an AWESOME JOB working with him and making him laugh!

Here is how each day is for Matt:

Between 7 & 8 am the Doctors come around and check on Matt, ask questions, see what new moves he can make, meds, etc...

Before 9:00 am he is in his wheel chair ready for Occupational Therapy & Speech Therapy
10:00 - 11:00 - Physical Therapy
11:00 - 11:30 - School
Break
At 1 or 2 pm Matt has Occupational Therapy again for an hour!
After that - it's Physical Therapy again for an hour!
Every other day Matt has: Music and Pet Therapy and then an activity with the Child Life Specialist. In between all of the above are check-in's from the nurses to give him meds, food, etc.. and Bob, Emileigh and I work with him on different tasks! He is ready to fall asleep around 8:30 or 9:00.

Today for Physical Therapy, Matt was on the 'tilt' table - which helps him be upright safely! He got to play Wii! He played baseball! Did a great job considering we do not have a Wii and it is AMAZING THERAPY! Really works his arms, hand / eye coordination, it's FUN too!

We are all working on helping Matt talk. We are having a contest on what word he is going to say 1st - of course, we all want him to say our names - but, deep down, the word we would like him to say first is MATT!!!!!!!!!!!! He's got the puckering down, and can wrap his lips around a straw, even makes sounds - he needs to be able to do more before he can eat solid foods.

Today during his break, we watched Star Wars (Return of the Jedi)! I forgot how much I liked that movie!

Tonight is Bob's night! He got to the hospital earlier than usual so that he and Matt could watch Monday Night Football together!

Want to say 'thanks' to our family and friends who have visited Matt in the hospital, it means so much to Matt and US! Looks like it's going to be about 2 more weeks before Matt can come home. The Doctors and Therapists are seeing improvement and they want to keep him there a little longer to continue working with him.

peace - light & love ~ Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/15/09 12:44 PM
I like the tone of this update. Sounds very encouraging. Thanks Bob.
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/15/09 09:00 PM
Bob and Shari

Hold your sons hand and read this to him! Sherri you are to put your hands on his head as well.

Read this to Matthew not sure why but I was told to pass this on to you

Did you notice what the date was when God told me to give you this word from the Bible? It was on Wednesday!! And you just wrote to us today this.

"Matt has accomplished A LOT since Wednesday! Matt can move his head up and down for YES - he can move his entire right hand and arm!"

God is good!!!

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/16/09 10:03 AM
Dang allergies.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/18/09 03:35 PM
I'm going to beat you to the punch here Bob. Hope you don't mind...

Quote:
EVERYONE? ARE YOU READY FOR THIS....???? Matt said 2 words! One today - "NO" and MUSIC to MY EARS...tonight - "MOM"! I know most of you won't believe this - but, I'm speechless! I am thanking God as I type this! Bob and I were so happy to hear his voice - and you could see the joy in Matt's eyes and in his smile!

I have so much more to update - I just want to leave everyone with this update for now. Let us rejoice! Matt's MIRACLE is one day at a time!

Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari for 'The Hernan Family'

Posted By: GeorgeS Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/18/09 03:57 PM
I'm with you Dave. My eyes have been running a lot lately when I read this.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/18/09 05:50 PM
HAHAHAHA you guys are the best!!! I was so excited to post this and now even more thrilled that you beat me to it!!

Way to go and thanks for being there for them guys!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/18/09 05:53 PM
HAHAHAHA you guys are the best!!! I was so excited to post this and now even more thrilled that you beat me to it!!

Way to go and thanks for being there for them guys!

I was considering posting it last night but thought, meh, I'll give him 12 hours.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/18/09 11:56 PM
Darn are you waiting for the email notice or checking in from time to time. I checked my mail and as soon as I get the notice from caring bridge I transport it here.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/20/09 12:57 AM
Darn are you waiting for the email notice or checking in from time to time. I checked my mail and as soon as I get the notice from caring bridge I transport it here.

I get the emailed notices from Caring Bridge for Matt and a couple others there.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 12:06 AM
Got another update...how long do I give Bob?
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 12:13 AM
LOLOLOL I just got in the house from work and checked my messages and had to laugh wondering if you beat me to it again.

btw Omaha thanks man!

Mom's upadate

Emileigh and I are getting ready to go up to the hospital - I made dinner for the 3 of us. Tonight is my night to spend the night, Bob stayed yesterday afternoon and last night watching football with Matt. We do have a great system by taking turns and making & bringing up dinner for each other.

I thought I should let everyone know the great news!

Let me start 1st with...Matt is coming home on Friday!!!! Now, let me tell you everything that has to be in place for Matt to come home. For the last week we have been told all of the things that we will need to take care of Matt at home. Pretty much the same equipment that we use at the hospital. Saturday - Aunt Darcy came and stayed with Matt during the day and PaPa and Nonnie came in the afternoon into the evening while Bob and I moved the dining room furniture down stairs. Aunt Deb, Uncle Doug and Sammi came over to help.

We are ready for a special 'reclining air bed' a 'hoyer lift' 2 wheel chairs - Matt has been using a motorized chair and a regular chair. He will need a reclining shower chair. All of this will be delivered this week. Our issue is ramps for the stairs to get Matt into the house and up to the dining room. I know someone sent me an email a while back with info on a place to call - I cannot find the information. If any of you have ideas and or suggestions we welcome them. We are considering making them.

Now...for some totally, wonderfully awesome news! Matt has said more words - 'oh mom' - 'emileigh' and kind of can say 'nonnie'! He is moving his head side to side up and down and can lift it! His head, neck and shoulder areas are getting stronger daily. Matt has started to move his right & left toes. With the therapists he can type on the computer with a mouse.

We appreciate your continued prayers and positive thoughts - and would please ask, to keep them coming? Pray that the homecoming and transition go well for our entire family.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 12:52 AM
Really great!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 01:02 AM
Another great update! I love these Bob! This one is especially exciting news. I would imagine being able to care for your boy in your own home is huge.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 03:34 AM
Can't swallow now--- a big lump of joy in my throat!
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 03:40 AM
Can't swallow now--- a big lump of joy in my throat!

Bob, if bodies with a few skills are needed for making the house accessable by building ramps and other modifications.....color me there brother! I believe you still have my cell #.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 03:56 AM
For sure! I just got off the phone with a cousin that's a elevator guy and we are checking to see what options there might be. I haven't seen the house that they moved into right before Matt went in for surgery so I don't know the layout or anything and I need to talk directly to Shari to see whats up.

As always guys keep up the prayers

And thanks for being there
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 12:39 PM
How, count me in too if you need some more bodies. I'm just up the road a little bit.

-Darn Royals beat up my Red Sox last night... ;\)
Posted By: davatsa Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 12:53 PM
Awesome news, Bob!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 04:43 PM
More updates from Mom

Ok...I have to clear up some information I posted about the 'ramp'. Our 2 concerns are - a ramp to get into the house and a way to get Matt up the stairs onto the main floor. Since we rent, we cannot do anything permanent. We are also waiting on insurance approval for a shower chair, one that transfers Matt from a wheel chair to the shower chair. (it's not looking good)

Yesterday was a stressful one for Bob and Matt. Communication issues, being tired, etc... So, far today has been nice. The communication barrier is the most difficult right now. Because Matt knows what he wants to say, since he can verbalize we have to kind of play charades, wheel of fortune, hang-man (actually none of those, they just came to me-so, I think I will put those in place) ;\)
I wanted to post some of the awesome things Matt can do. Matt is getting more control of his head and neck, his right arm and fingers. You should see him driving around in the motorized wheel chair - it's hilarious and inspiring at the same time.

My next prayer request(s), if you don't mind? Pray for Matt to get his voice SOON and for the transition from the hospital to home to be a smooth one and a wonderful celebration!
Thank you for allowing me to make these requests. All of you who pray and send positive thoughts mean so much to the 4 of us. You give us encouragement, hope, strength, etc...

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan Family
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/09 05:23 PM
Matt's voice and smooth transition home. Check.

-Greinke vs. my Red Sox tonight. I'll be thinking about him and rooting for the other team.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 02:09 AM
Tic-toc.

No spoilers from me, but it's a good little one.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 01:34 PM
LOL I started laughing as soon as I opened my email. As Omaha as indicated there is a quick update on Matt\

MATT IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is very happy to be home. I have a lot to update - not enough time. I will tomorrow. I did post new pictures though!

Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari for The Hernan's
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 01:37 PM
LOL I started laughing as soon as I opened my email. As Omaha as indicated there is a quick update on Matt\

MATT IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is very happy to be home. I have a lot to update - not enough time. I will tomorrow. I did post new pictures though!

If you guys want to check out his caring bridge link go here
Matt's site
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 01:50 PM

If you guys want to check out his caring bridge link go here
Matt's site

You may have to be registered and logged in to view Matt's page. When I clicked the link it didn't come up right, but when I logged in, I found it just fine.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 02:12 PM
Not sure why that was posted twice one with the edit, maybe because I used the back space to go back and edit. It worked for me here at the office and I don't think I am logged on here so heck I dont know.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/29/09 02:16 PM
Not sure why that was posted twice one with the edit, maybe because I used the back space to go back and edit. It worked for me here at the office and I don't think I am logged on here so heck I dont know.

Not a big deal. I think if you just go to caringbridge.com and search for Matthew Hernan you can find what you're looking for.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/03/09 04:55 PM
WOW this thread made it to the 3rd page in between updates,, busy forums with lots going on.

Moms update

Well...Matthew has been home for 1 week-yesterday! I apologize for not updating sooner. We have a lot to do for Matt right now. He requires care 24 hours. Bob and I are a great team and we take turns. Of course, not without a few 'challenges'! But, The Hernan's can handle anything now! RIGHT? The lift sent for Matt is 'barbaric' is the word Bob used. The sling to transfer Matt from his bed to anywhere (his wheelchair, etc..) is too small for Matt. Matt is over 5' 7" and weighs 150. Bob has talked to several people from our caseworker, to the company providing the lift and we even talked to the 'home nurse' - apparently when Matt starts therapy next week - we have to let them know and they will help us hopefully get a safer lift for Matt! Anyway - Matt continues to improve daily! He has started to move his left fingers - like 'spirit' fingers ;)! One of Matt's favorite places to be is Bob's recliner. We get him set up with tons of pillows, blankets and the remote and he is very happy! I will post a picture! Working on Matt getting to eat regular food. He still has to get his mouth working. Matt is saying a lot more words and we are teaching him sign language.
PaPa, Nonnie, Aunt Deb, Uncle Doug, Aunt Traci and Blair visit regularly. Traci and Trey brought Matt and Bob a hilarious book with some funny words! Great therapy!
Last night, PaPa, Nonnie & Unk Jim came over.
Today our friends - The Gepford's are driving up from Oklahoma to visit Matt. We haven't seen them since we moved to Tucson! Matt and Clayton were BEST FRIENDS! Kim and Emileigh had a special bond. We are all excited to spend the day with them. Then...tonight Aunt Deb and Uncle Doug are bring Kyle over! Woo-Hoo! We haven't seen him since July! I know Matt will have fun with Kyle...he is a BLAST!

Matt starts therapy at the Rehabilitation Institute on Monday from 9-12.

Please keep praying and sending positive thoughts for Matt to have 100% recovery. He is one strong young man - I am so proud our son! God has blessed us with an amazing and inspiring son! Also, if I can ask for prayers for Bob, Emileigh and myself? To keep up the strength, energy and positive attitude to help Matt with his 100% recovery. Please think of Emileigh too - she has been sick this last week.

All in all - I think we handled the 1st week home pretty well!

Peace - Light & Love - The Hernan's for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/03/09 06:16 PM
Another good one Bob. Prayers all around for the Hernan's.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/09/09 09:01 PM
Moms update for friday

Matt is on his way to his last therapy session for the week. He really likes going! Bob goes with him every time too. The only down fall is the transportation (that's a whole 'nother story)! Want to keep this entry up beat...

Matt can raise his right arm/hand above his head! He is talking more! He has been answering the phone (with Emileigh's help), he has talked to Nonnie, Papa & Uncle Jimmy! Matt says: 'hello', i love you, nonnie, papa, emileigh, mom, dad, max, i want and i need!

We are still waiting on information about a shower chair/seat. In the mean time - Bob and I give Matt a 'bed bath' and wash his hair. Last night the 3 of us were singing Christmas Carols, the Beatles and Carpenter songs. Gotta make it fun right? After that we got him into the recliner so he could watch the MU game with Bob & Emileigh...those 3 sports fans! They were sad though - MU lost. \:\(

Keep the prayers coming - we are still asking and praying for that MIRACLE!

Also, we have family & friends working on a couple of Fund Raisers for Matt's Medical Fund. One is a Garage/Rummage Sale and the other is an OPEN HOUSE (Shoppping with Pampered Chef, Mary Kay, Jewelry, Tupperware, Scrapbooking, Candles, etc...)
They are looking for inside places to have these 2 events. Any ideas?

Have a GREAT FALL Weekend! It is nice and BRISK in MO!

Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/09/09 09:34 PM
Nice update. Thanks as always Bob.

And I loved the game yesterday. Well, the 4th quarter anyway.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/11/09 09:19 PM
Moms update and requests,

Day by day getting better and better! Good going guys!

Thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts! And...I just want to thank GOD! WOW! Matt is making strides and progress each day. It is awesome seeing this right before our eyes! Therapy really is working. The speech therapist is working on a speaking device for Matt to use on his wheel chair! Matt can bring his right arm up over his head! He knows the entire alphabet in sign language! Today he has been drinking from a straw! He is talking more too! Gotta LOVE HIM - AND HIS PERSISTENCE! AMAZING! I just have to say it again and again...NOW, I KNOW WHY GOD BLESSED US WITH MATTHEW AND HIS STRONG WILL!

Another FAVOR? I thought it would be fun to make a collage for Matt. One with a picture of everyone thinking and praying for Matt. So...if you would, either email me or mail me pictures - I will start working on a COLLAGE POSTER for him! (i promise i will not use them or share them with anyone else)!

Want to thank Tommy - our driver from Arkansas - he sent Matt a great CD with some FUN songs, we listened to it yesterday.
The Hines Family - Thank you for the Sports Trivia cards - Matt got 19 correct out of the 20 I asked him. And...to the Camden Family - we love the x-box 'scene it game'! Thank You! Matt can play too! Especially when we get him all 'cozy' and settled in Bob's recliner. I'm thinking we might need to get Matt his own recliner to sit next to Bob to watch SPORTS - SPORTS AND MORE SPORTS! ;\)

Want to ask another favor - please pray and send positive thoughts for Bob and I? Taking care of Matt is a 2 person job - 24/7. Also, for Emileigh's understanding.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/12/09 12:23 PM
Another good one. Sounds like he continues to make great progress.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/14/09 02:56 AM
Updates A comin in!

First, we wanted to say thank you for sending Matt words of encouragement by signing his GUESTBOOK and sending him cards, cartoons and letters. It helps all of our family.

Next, I need and want to request prayers for 2 people:

Lori Johnson. A friend of mine AND she was one of Matt and Emileigh's substitute teachers at Donaldson in Tucson. Lori had her last chemo treatment a couple of months ago for Cancer of what she thought was a pulled muscle. I found out last week, she was diagnosed with 2 brain tumors - 1 near her brain stem. She has had surgery for 1 and now she will go thru radiation and more chemo. Please PRAY for her - send positive thoughts her way and her family - her husband and 2 daughters. Lori is one of the nicest people I've ever met. I know her faith and strength will get her thru this along with the love & support from her family and her Tucson friends!
I think someone might be setting up a caringbridge site for Lori. If there is one - I will post it. Please keep her in your prayers!

Also, for our daughter Emileigh. Right now our focus has to be on Matt 24/7 - he requires our attention for everything. Please pray for our family -

I appreciate all of you!

Peace - Light & Love ~Shari
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/16/09 07:14 PM
Grandma is getting into the posting scene \:\)

Happy Friday! I have been forgetting to tell everyone this: Matt can say the sweetest phrase every parent loves to hear " I LOVE YOU"! My heart leaps everytime he says it!

Not sure if any of you read the guestbook entries or not, I thought I would share what my mom posted. Thank you MOM! I Love You!

Nonnie is signing your guestbook again. I just want to let everyone know the Prayers are being heard and I want to Thank Each of you. Some day we will pay forward all of the prayers you are sending, and I know they are being heard , God has blessed us with a Wonderful Family & Friends. I work with the most wonderful friends that Pray for Matthew everyday and light candles. Grandma Margie lights candle every day for you. Connie and Kathy also Crystle...UNK Jimmy, and so many more all of them praying for you everyday. Kennith Steel Praying for you everyday, AND when Nonnie read this it make me believe even more, andGod has his arm around you. All of our Family has been with us every minute. My Prayers are with each of you. And also with the most positive person >>> Matthew. Each Day you are doing something new, God is with you every step. We all Love You, and Nonnie and PaPa Love you Big Whole Bunch. Everyone also Please keep Shari, Bob and Emileigh in you prayer also. They are working 24/7. God Bless Each of you.

Here is my Daily Prayer. Dear God, Please hear all of our Prayers. Wrap your
arms around Matthew and give him the strength to overcome this setback in his life. We believe in your healing power. Matthew is the most amazing young man. When we want to Cry he is strong....I know you Dear GOD you have wonderful Plans for him. Thank You Dear God Hear all of our Prayers. Amen

Please keep the prayers coming, keep lighting the candles. And please sign guest book to let him know we are with him.
We want to Thank our Royals Family, You have been with us all of the way and we Thank you!
God Bless you each and everyone of you.

Hello my Positive Grandson
Just wanted to let you know you are Amazing. When I called the other night
and Emileigh picked the phone up and you said Hello it just made my Night.
Matt God has heard all of the prayers and I know he has heard yours. You have worked so hard and you continue to amaze all of us. I know there will be a lot of work ahead of you, but you know you can do it. And so do we.

Hello Supporters
Bob and Shari are working 24/7 they are just working with Matt. They need God to help them...It is not just Thank you for all of the prayers it is now time
to ask him for help in other ways. Pray for help with the finances. They aren't
working and if you have any Idea's for Fund raiser's please let me know. Shari and Bob would be the last to ask for financial help. So if you have any idea's or know of someone who could help them please let me know..
I know we all have prayed but we all know it takes God to be our power and he is on our side....God Bless each and everyone. please email me if you have any fund raiser ideas.. Matt's Nonnie.

Nonnie and PaPa Herzig
vic1jim2@aol.com

Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari for the Hernan's!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/16/09 07:41 PM
Nice one. ;\)
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/16/09 09:43 PM
It is great to hear of Matt's great progress but I sure feel helpless with their finance situation. The main goal is Matt recovering but man o man without a job to support the family that would be tough. I sure dont have any answers. \:\(
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/19/09 03:39 AM
Thought I would throw one in hot off the press!

Matthew had a relaxing weekend of watching football and nascar with Bob & Emileigh. I really will take a picture of Matt sitting in Bob's recliner - it's so awesome!

Last night PaPa & Nonnie brought dinner over - a birthday dinner for my brother (unk jim) and I! Our birthdays are in August. We wanted to wait for Matt to celebrate.
The dinner was yummy and of course we all enjoyed family - oh yeah, guess what? Football! ;\)

Matt starts another week of therapy. I know he enjoys getting out. A transport van comes in the morning at 8 to get Matt to his appointments daily from 9 to 12. Bob and I carry Matt in his wheel chair down the stairs and back up when the van brings Matt & Bob back home around 1 or 1:30.

Please keep signing Matt's guest book and sending him cards and letters of encouragement - he loves it! They keep him going and it helps us too reading them to Matthew. I do want to let you know - he is amazing! He doesn't complain and takes each day as it comes to him! Matt's laugh & smile are a priceless gift to us!

Have a great week!

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for The Hernan Family and most of all, for Matt!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/20/09 01:37 PM
Lets keep the faith and prayers full steam ahead!

Mom's caringbridge post.

As I was sitting talking with Matt this morning before he was going to therapy. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas....he has to 'sign' to me because he can't talk too well. He signed to me "I want my tumor gone" tears just started rolling down my face right in front of Matt (we TRY not to cry in front of him) he started crying too, then I just hugged him TIGHT and told him, "believe me - if I could make that happen, I would"! So ...again - I'm asking - pray for a MIRACLE FOR MATT - for the tumor to be completely gone! What a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS GIFT that would be. Peace - Light & Love ~ Shari
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/20/09 01:47 PM
Continued prayers...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/21/09 09:16 AM
Very touching moment.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/28/09 02:44 PM
Its been awhile since mom updated, after reading this ginormus post you will understand why. I have no idea how they can manage to keep doing the things they do, Well actually I do know how< but WOW!
WOW - I have a lot to update! First, let me start with the following scriptures:

Phil. 4:13 ~ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Matthew 19:26 ~ With GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

I will start with last Thursday. We had a 'Family Meeting' with all of the Therapists, Social Worker, Education Rep and Raymore School District to find out how Matt is doing and what other programs, equipment, etc...he needs. It was like being at a Parent/Teacher Conference. It was a very positive meeting! Matt is doing well with each Therapist and each Therapist told Bob and I how impressed they are with Matt's progress. Matt started with his regular Physical Therapist last Monday (she had been on vacation) anyway, she only worked with Matt for 4 days and told us she could already see improvement in those 4 days! Each Therapist is also doing everything they can to get Matt any equipment he needs. One is a new bed, one that will be more comfortable for Matt. The bed he has now, we have to re-position Matt every 2 hours (including thru the night) doing this prevents Matt from getting bed sores. Another device is a communication device helping Matt communicate easier - which will help all of us understand him and keep everyone from getting frustrated.
Matt still has to be fed thru his g-tube, although he can eat (be fed) a little bit of solids: pudding, baby food (fruit) and yogurt. His issue is still swallowing - meaning he is not ready for solids!
The Therapists have also increased Matt's therapy hours from 3 to 5 hours a day! That is one reason why he needs to get more sleep!
Some other great things that help make caring for Matt easier. PaPa & Nonnie brought over a shower chair! Their neighbor, Darney brought it home for us to borrow until Matt gets approved for his own. He was so happy to take a shower because for the last month Bob and I have been giving Matt 'bed baths'. Thank you Darney!

On Wednesday Nonnie & PaPa came over to stay and help me with Matt while Emileigh & Bob went to a taping of the show 'Chiefs Locker Room' show on Metro Sports. Our friend Carol set this up for Emileigh. Emileigh is wanting to go into Sport Reporting and possibly be an Intern for the show. So, thank you Carol. While they were gone, we watched the new Transformer movie.

On Friday - PaPa & Nonnie brought over another item that will help make Matt's progress...a hospital table, one he can use while he is in bed. Matt loves it - he can use his lap top on his own (he still needs help) but, it does give him some freedom. We will be able to help him read and play games, etc...Eventually he will be able to 'groom' and 'feed' himself, once he gets more feeling and movement in his hands. Nonnie's friend Connie loaned the table to Matt - thank you Connie!

Saturday - Nonnie & PaPa loaned me their car to take Emileigh to Des Moines to meet her best friend Heather for a day together. Heather, Jeannie & Courtney met us and shopped and had lunch. We didn't want the day to end. Bob stayed home with Matt by himself. They had a good day and watched College Football ALL DAY!

Then, on Sunday, Unk Jim took Emileigh to the Chiefs game to watch them play her favorite team, the San Diego Chargers. On Monday Emileigh and I went to K-State with Carol, Trey, Jo & Ginger for a Senior Day visit to the campus. We had a great time. Thank You Carol for organizing this and driving us to Manhattan, KS. Again, Bob stayed with Matt by himself.

On Monday (this is going to get to you) because it got to me and Bob. Matt told Bob he thought the tumor was growing! Hearing that was like someone punched me in the stomach! I know we don't know for sure - and we won't know until Matt's MRI on December 2nd. Here is the thing - unfortunately, Matt has said this before and each time he has said this, he has been right. We are going to request more prayers for Matt to be wrong! I told him I thought it was just his brain getting used to the all of the tumor not being there.

Another issue we are having with Matthew...he is afraid of going to sleep and falling out of his bed. He doesn't get enough sleep, wakes up around 5 or 6 every morning and won't go to sleep until 11 or 12 each night. We have a call into the Dr for a possible sleep medicine to help him. Because he is not sleeping, we are not sleeping. Matt won't even rest/nap during the day.
We are EXHAUSTED and Matt can't give his full potential during therapy. To be honest ( and I hope you don't mind ) I've been not wanting to say this - but, it's like we have a newborn again. So, another request, please pray for Bob and I - for patience and understanding to make all of this work.

On Monday - Matt got a surprise gift from a fellow Chiefs Fan and one of my wonderful friends, Coach Justin Argraves. He sent Matt a Personalized Chiefs Jersey with Matt's favorite number "18" and his name on the back - M. Hernan! Thank you Justin. Matt wore it to therapy on Tuesday and made sure I took a picture of him wearing it! You made his day!
Thank you to Nonnie & PaPa for all they did for us last week, to Carol for organizing the events for Emileigh, for Connie & Darney for tools to make Matt's life easier. To Unk Jim for taking Emileigh to a game. Also, to all of the Chemo Angels, Friends and Family for thinking of and praying for Matt and Emileigh. To Bob for staying with Matt by himself. It is a big job and responsibility.

One more thing - Traci Forester is working on a Fund Raiser for Matt's Medical Fund. She is looking for consultants/representatives selling items like; tupperware, candles, jewelry, etc... Traci's email address is: bluespringskid@comcast.net. Contact Traci if you would like to participate or know of someone that would be interested in participating.

Thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts - they are very much appreciated.

Peace - Light & Love ~ The Hernan's 4
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/28/09 03:17 PM
I hope Matt is wrong too. Big prayers from NE on everything. I continue to be impressed with their determination and have no idea how they can maintain such a pace. They are a very busy family! Thanks again for the update Bob.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/28/09 03:51 PM
Thanks for the updates. it sounds like everyone is doing all they can. I will pray for strength all of you as well as Matt.
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/28/09 05:12 PM
Neighbors Helping Neighbors had a meeting last night and we are in the process of placing Matt and family on our prayer list. We have some people that are very strong in this area, if you can understand my wording. Our members desire to reach out to help and pray for those in need. We had a good discussion on helping others and they feel there our more that need our prayers that are not receiving. We do open the prayer to cover others but we desire to be more exact. Pond Boss has allowed me to use their forum recently for prayer request and it is appreciated so we desire to return the favor that was extended to our group.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/03/09 01:04 PM
A little update from Mom

Keep prayers and positive thoughts going for Matt. He got sick at rehab today. Also, he has been having difficulty with his vision. He has an appointment on Dec 7th. His MRI is Dec 2nd. Added a Halloween picture and a picture of Matt in his Chiefs Jersey Coach Argraves sent to him.

Please keep Lori Johnson in your prayers. She is in Hospice as of Friday.

Peace - Light & Love ~ Always, Shari for the Hernan Family!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/06/09 03:39 PM
The most recent update says Matt took 2 steps yesterday! And they're raising money to get him a Wii. We have one and play it all the time. They're great.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/06/09 07:10 PM
Thanks Omaha here is the post

WOW! Matt is BLESSED - our family is BLESSED! An Apple laptop battery was purchased last night for Matt. Thank you Grandma Dee, Grandpa Tom and Aunt Traci for taking care of this for Matthew! Having this will help Matthew progress communicating! Thank you for the overwhelming response! You ALL ARE AMAZING! I wish I could hug each one of you for 'being there' for Matt and our family in any way you can. We are truly touched by the continued love, support & prayers. (it was weird - I didn't even know Bob posted the info)

MOM - (Nonnie) Your Guestbook post is appreciated. We LOVE YOU A BIG WHOLE BUNCH!

So, here is some totally awesome news - are you ready? Matt took 2 steps yesterday. With equipment and therapist help! Right leg better than the left of course - but, we are remembering...'baby steps'!

Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan's 4

PS...Traci is working on a Fund Raiser - a Raffle for a ' wii ' ! Details will be posted soon.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/12/09 01:34 AM
Another update from Mom

You all know - Matt is on one HECK of a ROLLER COASTER, RIGHT? Yesterday was no exception! Well...yesterday - it's a big possibility he had a seizure while at Therapy. Matt has 2 doctor's appointments - one with a MD and one with a Neurologist. It's a DRAG! Matt has really never had seizures that we know of. Maybe before he was diagnosed in May 2006. Matt stayed home today and we all 'tried' to rest. He is doing ok right now.

We were called - with an anonymous donation of an AWESOME Hospital Bed. A person that needs a bed that does percussions, so, he heard about Matt and wanted him to have his old bed. The bed has side rails (yes) that should help with some of Matt's fears. It was delivered yesterday - but, it couldn't be brought in because the delivery people didn't have enough 'man-power' and the equipment to bring it up the stairs. They will be bringing it back possibly by Monday.

Yesterday I got to enjoy a birthday gift certificate. A wonderful massage (my 2nd massage EVER) and lunch out! Thank you Katherine & Darcy! Katherine is also the massage therapist who came over to give Matt a hand & foot massage and Bob a back massage about a month ago! Thank You! Although our lunch was cut short because of the call about Matt's seizure - it was a nice and relaxing 'time out'! AND...much appreciated! PLUS...Katherine said she will come over to give Matt another hand and foot massage - I told Matt about it- he got the biggest smile on his face!

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for "Mattie Bobby"
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/12/09 01:48 AM
Very cool about the hospital bed. May God bless that individual.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/12/09 02:03 AM
Great news!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/13/09 04:06 PM
Matt needs your prayers, He is going in today for a mri they think he is having small seizures. He was going to have it on dec 2 but bumped him up.

Here is the link to his site click here

Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/13/09 04:26 PM
Definitely will continue to pray and believe it'll be a positive result.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/14/09 01:31 AM
Great news at Caring Bridge!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/14/09 02:23 AM
YEAH BABY!SOME GOOD NEWS!!

THANKS GUYS!

PRAISE THE LORD - THE POWER OF PRAYER AND POSITIVE THINKING! THANK YOU ALL! THE RESULT OF THE MRI - NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE! AND...THE BLOOD CLOT - LOOKS LIKE THERE IS SOME BLOOD FLOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL REPORT ON A FRIDAY THE 13TH! WHEN I WAS SIGNING IN MATT FOR HIS MRI - I WROTE THE DATE, 11-13-09 AND SAID AWWW....THIS DATE. THE RECEPTIONIST MADE ME FEEL BETTER - SHE SAID 'THIS IS ANOTHER DAY THE LORD HAS MADE' - OH, HOW WE NEEDED TO HEAR THIS... I THANKED HER WITH TEARS IN MY EYES!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR MESSAGES TODAY! THANK YOU FOR YOUR CARDS AND LETTERS AS WELL.

ALSO, THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SENT CARDS AND MESSAGES TO EMILEIGH YESTERDAY FOR HER 18TH BIRTHDAY!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

PEACE - LIGHT & LOVE, SHARI for the HERNAN FAMILY AND MATT - OUR INSPIRATION!!!! OUR HERO!
Posted By: TOM G Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/14/09 03:07 PM
Very glad to here positive results.Keep your heads up,your all in our prayers as well as our hearts. \:\)
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/21/09 01:43 AM
How about some more good news from Mom!

GOSH! I have LOTS to report! All Good!

1- I forgot to mention - on Friday - WE TOOK MATT TO HIS MRI IN OUR CAR!!! Bob and I got Matthew to the car and Bob pulled Matt up and he pivoted to the passenger seat! He was so happy to be able to go somewhere! After the MRI and before his other doctor's appointment we took him to 'Chick-fil-a (thru the drive thru) thank you to our friends who sent us the gift card. We gave Matt itty bitty pieces of chicken! (He still gets fed thru his G-Tube) he can eat pudding, applesauce and mashed potatoes in very small bites.

2 -Matt started working with a Homebound Teacher on Monday! Reading, Math, etc... (His teacher said he did awesome)!

3 - The HOSPITAL BED (anonymously donated) was delivered on Tuesday! WOW! THANK YOU!!!!!!

4 - The HOSPITAL BED is in Matt's room - He had a smile on his face that was priceless !

5 - Matt slept in his OWN ROOM ON TUESDAY - for the 1st time in about a year!

We LOVE when we can share good news!
I was thinking today about Matt's journey and wanted to 'thank' our friends and family who do their best to try to understand what he is going thru and the care that we give him. We are truly blessed with the best family and friends, EVEN people that only know of Matt's story. Thank you for helping us get thru the ups and downs. The cards, letters, messages, etc... mean so much.

Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/21/09 03:52 AM
I was just thinking the other day, man it's been a while since an update, so this is great news. Thanks as always.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/27/09 06:02 AM
Moms Thankful update, I am very thankful for them and you guys

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Hernan Family has so much to be THANKFUL for!

First and foremost - THE AMAZING PROGRESS MATT HAS MADE since his surgeries!
We are Thankful for the Surgeons, Nurses, Doctors, Therapists, Nutritionist, Social Workers and Teachers in KC, Chicago & Little Rock who have been there for Matt!

Next: For ALL of YOU ~ OUR FAMILY - OUR FRIENDS! We are thankful for your support; emotionally, physically and financially! We are blessed to have you all in our lives!

And: FOR the Anonymous Donations we have received! For taking some of the worry away - Thank You!

For our FAITH in GOD and THE POWER of PRAYER!

Peace - Light & Love ~ The Hernan's - MATT, Bob, Emileigh & Shari
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 11/28/09 05:58 PM
More cool updates

The BLESSINGS continue for Matthew! I got a call from an organization - FRIENDS OF JACLYN - http://www.friendsofjaclyn.org we were referred to them by Lily Langbein's family (www.caringbridge.org/visit/sweetlily)!
The organization connects local college sports teams with seriously ill children. Well...Matthew has been 'adopted' by one of his favorite teams - since before we moved to Tucson. Before we moved - we would go watch the 'ROO's' play at least 2 or 3 times during their season. It is the UMKC Men's Basketball Team!!!! The coach (Doug Hall) called yesterday to introduce himself and invited Matt to come to practice and then come to watch a game. There happens to be a game on December 9th - Matt's birthday! When Emileigh told Matt - he was thrilled! Later I went into Matt's room - he was just smiling - I asked him why? He signed to me... UMKC! Thank you to: "Friends of Jaclyn" to the Langbein Family and to UMKC for making Matt so very happy!!!

Next blessing to share: My friend's Carol White & Jo Lynn Wilson (BLISS PHOTOGRAPHY - http://www.blissphotographyimages.com) have organized a Fund Raising EVENT for Matt's Medical Fund - this Saturday - December 5th from 10 to 3. Complimentary 5 x 7 pictures taken with Santa at Morse Church - 151st & Quivira! Raffle Tickets for a Wii System. Chili - treats - even shop for your Christmas Tree! Any questions, please call: Bliss Photography (913) 685-7556.

We had a WONDERUL Thanksgiving. We went to Nonnie & PaPa's! Dinner was yummy! Matt EVEN ate a few solids! Yesterday - he was kind of feeling yucky. Maybe he over did it a little. But, it was worth it to be sitting with him at the Thanksgiving Dinner table. I do have some pics I will post.

Hope all of you continue to have a great holiday weekend.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/01/09 05:05 AM
Some cool stuff with the UMKC ROO'S

We took Matt to UMKC today after therapy. Matt met the UMKC Men's Basketball TEAM! WOW! They are AWESOME! Today during practice the players came by one by one (when they had a chance) to introduce themselves to Matt. I posted a picture of Matt at practice.(His sweatshirt is a gift Bob and I got him for his birthday last year) We are going to try and get Matt to a practice each week. The Manager gave Matt his own t-shirt. There is a Kangaroo's game on December 9th - Matt's birthday. Of course, this is where Matt wants to celebrate his birthday!

There are other pictures in the photo section of Thanksgving. I will also try to post a flier for the Holiday Event this Saturday.

Peace - Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/03/09 02:56 AM
Updating left and right I hope you dont mind

Last night we were overwhelmed by 2 of mine and Uncle Jimmy's High School Friends; Patti Kelly-Erickson & Cindy Stadler-Mincher and their family & friends! Thank you (isn't enough to say)for the yummy dinner and awesome - wonderful gifts! Thank You - Thank You - Thank You! MATT was overwhelmed - and happy to meet you both and your thoughtful husbands!) ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Today Matt had to have an EEG to determine if he is and/or was having seizures... to prepare him for the test he had to stay up until midnight and wake up at 4 am this morning and stay awake until his test at 2:00 pm. We should know the results in about 2 or 3 days. (crazy isn't it? how some test results take longer than others?)

Tomorrow the UMKC Kangaroos are playing in Tulsa! Go ROO'S! Matt and the rest of his family will be 'roo'ting for a VICTORY!

The drawing for the Wii LOVE Matt Raffle is next week! Thank you to each of you who have purchased tickets.

Saturday is the Holiday Family Fun Event. Come and get your picture taken with SANTA. Our family will be there.

A week from today is Matt's 15th birthday. Please light a candle for him - for a blessed year. You know how i have a thing for 'numbers'! Matt's birthday is 12-09-09. Will you light a candle at 12:09 pm?

During this season of Thanksgiving we are so thankful, blessed and loved! God has blessed us with wonderful family & friends!!!

Peace ~ Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/03/09 03:40 AM
I think I have a candle I can spare for this. ;\)
Posted By: fishwrangler Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/03/09 04:31 PM
I just subscribed to PB not long ago I just fell into this post and was immediattely captured by this story. I have been reading this for about two hrs straight. What an inspiring story, and strong family and extraordinary young man. This story sure is humbling and makes you realise just how precious life is, and that God is in controll. With God all things are possible and I think that young matt's story has been told to show those who may need to hear or re affirm thier faith about what an awesome God we have. God bless Matt and his family and those who have cared and prayed for him! Keep up the fight Matt you are a soldier in God's army. you will be in mine and my families prayers!

Wade
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/08/09 02:15 AM
Thanks fishwrangler and everyone else for all your thoughts and prayers. I know that god is here with Matt and his family giving them strength and courage to move ahead. This is one tuff kid that through all this manages to not to complain but only give strength to keep the rest of the family strong. If you want to see pictures and follow along you can go here Caringbridge He looks great considering all that he has been through

Here is another update from Mom.

What a BUSY & WONDERFUL WEEKEND THE HERNAN FAMILY HAD!

The Fund Raiser on Saturday - "Wii Support Matt" / Pictures with Santa was so much FUN! Cold - but fun! Thank you so much to Carol, Jo Lynn, Patty & Michele for EVERYTHING! And an ESPECIALLY BIG - HUGE THANK YOU to SANTA for taking the time from his busy schedule at the North Pole to come and get his picture taken with the kids! After he helped us out - he was on his way to another stop! WOW - is he busy! Thank YOU Santa!
We Love all of you! Also, to all of the many people that came by, made donations and visited with Matt! He had a good time!
Some wonderful surprises for Matt. His Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Brown came by with her boys Matt & Nicholas. Her Matt has the same interest as Matt - he is a huge Star Wars fan too! He brought Matt a YODA gift to wear on his birthda! Thank you for coming by Mrs. Brown!

Oh...you are probably wondering who the winners are:

1st Prize - The Wii System - Lisa Conrad
2nd Prize - Equisite Eats - George Morgan

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! & THANK YOU!

Thank you to Patty for donating the Wii System and to Michele for donating the $100.00 Gift Certificate to Exquisite Eats
http://exquisiteeats.com/ and to Carol White & Jo Lynn Wilson with blissphotographyimages for taking the pics with Santa and planning the event!
http://www.blissphotographyimages.com

Sunday was more fun for the Hernan Family!!! We took Matt out again...WOO-HOO!!! We went to Traci's for pizza, to watch the Chiefs game with Traci, Norman, Blair, Trey, Cara and the Smiths and have Matt draw a name for the "Wii LOVE MATT Fund Raiser" Thank You sooooooooooooooo very much Traci for planning the Fund Raiser - WOW! You have done so much for Matt! All the tickets you sold - and YOUR WONDERFUL IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! WE LOVE YOU!

...and the WINNERS are:

1st Prize - The Wii System - Lauren Smith
2nd Prize - $50.00 VISA Gift Card - Jim Herzig

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! & THANK YOU!

BOTH FUND RAISERS WERE A SUCCESS! WE ARE GRATEFUL BEYOND WORDS! I REALLY HOPE EVERYONE KNOWS HOW APPRECIATIVE WE ARE - WE ARE VERY BLESSED! Thank you to everyone who sold and purchased the raffle tickets for Matt's Medical Fund!

From there, we went to Nonnie & PaPa's for Matt's birthday dinner. Of course, he requested steak & potatoes with crab legs this year. Matt did an awesome job eating! He even ate coconut cream pie for dessert! Unk Jim and Zach celebrated with us too! It was a great day all around!

Today Matt had his usual therapy and then off to an eye appointment to see what can be done for his right eye. And...it's surgery - cosmetic to fix his eye lid and then a 2nd surgery to fix the eye muscle. It won't help his vision, it's something Matt wants to do. He is scheduled for surgery on January 28th. Matt also picked out new glasses. They are nice! I gotta tell you about how wonderful Matt was at the appointment. He held his head up for a long time and even sat up straight for a while! It was good to see! Again - let's just all say "Thank God" - he is hearing our prayers for Matt's healing & recovery!

Wednesday is Matt's birthday! He wants to celebrate with "HIS TEAM" the UMKC Roos! Congratulations to the big WIN on Saturday! The entire family is looking forward to watching the game on Wednesday.

Matt's birthday is 12-09-09. Please light a candle for him at 12:09 for continued HEALING!

Peace - Light & Love ~ The Hernan Family
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/08/09 01:32 PM
Cool update. Will have to send him a birthday message tomorrow on Caring Bridge.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/09/09 03:55 PM
Yep todays is his Birthday. Only 15 and been through so much.
Posted By: fishwrangler Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/09/09 03:57 PM
Happy Birthday Matt God Bless
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/09/09 04:04 PM
Bob, what's your last name if you don't mind me asking? Or another name they would know you by, like Uncle Bob or something? I'm going to send a message on Caring Bridge and wanted to mention you and PondBoss.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/09/09 04:16 PM
Signed his guestbook...

Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/15/09 11:29 PM
Omaha I am so sorry to not get back to you with the info, busy weekend and I didn't get online until actually now so that I could post a update from Matt's dad Bob Hernan. Uncle is good enough and I think they will know who its from, My last name is Eades, I don't mind saying as far as I know nobody is looking for me \:\)
Sounds like he had a good time and we hope to have them over at Christmas if Matt is ok to travel here, and his busy schedule is open.

ello, This Bob. Matt had a wonderful birthday at the UMKC Roo's basketball game. The team showed him love all the players and coaches lined up on the court and fist bumped Matt and told him happy birthday. He was very excited about that.. We then set down to watched the game. A good effort but just came up short. We then went to Gates BBQ, Matt and the Hernan families favorite BBQ here in KC, they have the best BBQ turkey in town... Matt enjoyed his day, and can't wait for the next Roo's game.. Thank you Doug Hall and friends of Jaclyn .. We also were bless to receive a stair lift from Nonnie and papa and her great friend Scott. Scott your area very special person. We can't wait to meet you in person, maybe this summer, thank you for all you do for Matt. Thank you does not seem enough, we are honored to have you involved in Matt's life... Thank you Jeff for all you have done..We also went to the Children's Mercy Hemo/oncology Christmas Party at the Marriott Downtown KC. Matt enjoyed the food , entertainment and the present , thank you Laura, Victoria. I would like to thank all that have made this time of year a festive one and have helped our family enjoy the holidays, we have been blessed by so many and are looking forward to being able to pay it forward. We could not have asked for more wonderful friends, family and wonderful souls whom have touched our lives. Thank you all. we will always keep you in our hearts, minds and souls. Thank you for you compassion, love, thoughtfulness and just being there. Thank you for Making Matt happy and able to move forward in his recovery. With all that you have done it does make a differance. Thanks for your love, prayers.. God has heard you. God has blessed Matt as well as us. GOD bless you all. Bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/16/09 12:13 AM
No problem at all Bob and thanks for the update.
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/16/09 02:25 PM
Omaha thanks for the message you posted for Matt. A very good deed.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/17/09 04:15 AM
Yes thank you! I forgot to thank you when you posted the message.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 12/17/09 05:27 AM
Yes thank you! I forgot to thank you when you posted the message.

It was my pleasure. Two fold. First, wishing such a wonderful young man a birthday wish and two, doing it on behalf of this great group here. Your family's story has been inspiring, to say the least Bob, and I can't thank you enough for including us 'strangers', letting us be a small part of it. I get regular emails from friends and relatives asking how he's doing, so it's awesome to know I'm not the only one touched by his courage and his family's determination.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/06/10 03:57 PM
There has been a update and they are waiting to get a mri. Matt is having trouble with his eyes and they need see whats going on and check to see if surgery would be a option, We hope to have the family over to the house this weekend, hopefully the weather will cooperate this week. I will post a update when I get to the house,

As always thanks everyone for thinking of Matt and his family

Bob
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/06/10 05:59 PM
Trialsguy,

Sorry to here Matt is having some problems. We will keep praying for him and hope everything will be ok. Tell the family Lauri and I said hey ok, and wish them all the best.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/06/10 06:50 PM
Thanks as always for the update Bob and let us know, if you would, how the MRI goes. I still get the updates but it's nice to get them from you too. ;\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/07/10 11:16 AM
Prayers are still coming.
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/07/10 02:38 PM
From here also. Good luck and God's speed.
Posted By: deaner Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/07/10 04:57 PM
I reread most of this thread and it still will generate thoughts and prayers. It shows what we--pond boss people -- can do and that we love to help others. We must learn to ask if we desire to receive. My desire is to help others and not receive at this time. But I still need prayers. We NEIGHBORS HELPING NEIGHBORS organization send our prayers and love.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/07/10 08:33 PM
Paul, how is Shane?
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/08/10 05:09 AM
Mom Update

Thanks to everyone who has checked to see about Matt's MRI. Unfortunately we couldn't and didn't want to get him out in this cold, snowy, windy, etc... weather. His MRI will be rescheduled for a day next week.

Matt is really having trouble seeing now. Both eye lids are almost closed. We are praying and hoping the surgery scheduled for Jan 28th to fix his right eye lid, that the Doctor will fix his left eye lid too. It is supposed to be an Out-patient surgery. Please keep him in your prayers. Matt has had a couple of "melt downs" the last few days. He's scared. (He would be upset too, to know that I am posting that).

Yesterday we received a Christmas Package from Grandma Bernice and Grandpa Gale, one of the gifts is a daily calendar "BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS for the FAMILY" ~ THANK YOU - PERFECT TIMING!

January 6th Prayer:

Lord...give me the gift of faith to be renewed and shared with others each day. Teach me to live this moment only, looking neither to the past with regret, nor the future with apprehension. Let LOVE be my aim and my life a prayer.
(by Roseann Alexander-Isham)

Now some good news...Nonnie (my mom - Matt & Emileigh's grandma) is retiring! She is looking forward to spending time with Matthew and being with us! YAHOO! We are all excited!

Peace - Light & Love, The Hernan's for MATTHEW ROBERT HERNAN - ONE AMAZING, STRONG WILLED, DETERMINED AND LOVING SON & BROTHER!
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/16/10 01:56 AM
well its been a day or two since we or I have posted. Mom sent a update so I thought I would pass it along. But first finally the weather has cooperated so that we can have our family holiday get together at the house we are looking forward to having Matt and family over. Matt had his MRI today please pray that it comes back with good news....Here is moms updat....

Today is Matt's MRI at 2:00! Please pray - light a cancle, send positive thoughts and energy his way!

Want to share a couple of things: today the bible scripture/verse I read - Is perfect for today!

"The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

Yesterday Matt received a VERY SPECIAL GIFT from our friend in Tucson ~Lisa Nickerson and her family! A cross made by a 12 year old boy, Camden. Here is what the card attached read:

My name is Camden, I'm 12 years old, this is my testimony.

When I was 5, I had a brain tumor and under went brain surgery. During that time I turned to God for comfort.
Psalms 91, 'He took me under his wings and covered me
with his feathers'
GOD HEALED ME!
Now my dad and I make these crosses for God's Glory. God has blessed us and we wnt to pass the blessings to you.
God Bless, Camden

Let me say - 1st, thank you Lisa and family. Your timing was perfect in sending the Cross. 2nd, I started reading the card to Matt and couldn't finish (I was so touched and emotional) Emileigh finished reading it to Matt. 3rd, the feeling in Matt's room was unexplainable - a peace and understanding touched all 4 of us. The card Lisa sent was the story of 'Footprints in the Sand' - Bob or Matt neither one had heard this before. The messages we received yesterday were touching and meaningful! Thank You!
Matt wanted the Cross to hang on the wall in front of him so he can always see it. Bob immediately hung it. In the next day or 2 I will take a picture of Matt with it and post it.

Peace ~ Light ~ Love, The Hernan's
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/16/10 02:09 AM
Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/17/10 03:20 AM
Well things didnt go too smooth. Matt had a very hard time remaining still and couldnt get the MRI completed, They will give it another try soon. First time for Matt to have trouble with the MRI. We are still praying...

We had a great time today with Matt and his family over today at our family get together. Him Bob and Shari are very inspiring how they stay positive and take care of things that need to be done. It was a great time and was sad to see them have to go.
Posted By: fishwrangler Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/19/10 02:28 PM
Thanks for the update we will continue to pray for him.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/20/10 04:35 AM
Still no MRI Matt has indicated that he is afraid at what they might find so needless to say he is very active when he needs to remain still. Mom Posted a update I will copy it here.

Again the MRI didn't happen. Matthew couldn't or (possibly wouldn't) be still. So, to try again Matt has to be sedated. At first Radiology told Bob they couldn't get Matt in again until March 12th. I found that totally unacceptable, especially since Matt was supposed to have eye surgery on January 28th and one of the reasons for the MRI is because of Matt's left eye lid closing.
Matt's MRI is now January 27th at noon. Surgery has been postponed and he will be seen by the Opthamologist and Surgeon on February 8th to talk over doing surgery for both eyes at the same time. Matt had confided in Nonnie and me, he was afraid to have another MRI because he was afraid of the results. I tried to comfort him, told him "whatever we found out, we will deal with it and do what is best for him and what he wants to do"! Also, to pray and reminded him of the verse:
Isaiah 41:10 ~ So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Tomorrow Matt has an appointment with Dr. Lewing/Oncologist to make sure Matt can be sedated for the MRI. Also, we want to talk about Matt doing WATER Therapy because he is at a wall with Physical Therapy, his left arm and leg are stiff and difficult to work with and the Therapist aren't seeing progress. He does have an appointment to have Botox again. He had Botox before he left the hospital, but there is a waiting period between shots.

We found out today, good news, Matt will be getting his COMMUNICATION DEVICE this week! This will remove A LOT of STRESS for Matt trying to talk to us and us trying to understand!

Thank you for your encouragement and prayers.

Peace, Light & Love, Shari for the Hernan Family
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/28/10 05:07 AM
Bumping up the latest info from Mom, Still no word and probably wont find out about the MRI from today if they were able to complete it or not but here is mom's update.

Today Matt has an MRI at NOON. We have to have him at Children's Mercy downtown at 11:00 am. This time Matt will be sedated. Our prayer request(s); that sedation will keep Matt still, that the MRI will show us why Matt's left eye lid is closing, to help us with strength, patience and understanding, and... MOST OF ALL...THAT THE TUMOR HAS NOT GROWN! A MIRACLE for MATT!

We appreciate all of you, for your love & prayers.

peace - light & love, Shari for the Hernan's
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/28/10 11:42 AM
Still praying for him and the family.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/28/10 12:34 PM
Still in our prayers. It's been a bumpy road.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/28/10 01:46 PM
Continued prayers Bob.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/28/10 02:30 PM
Thanks for the updates. I'll be thinking about Matt today and praying for the best.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 01/29/10 01:37 AM
It sure is a bumpy road! We were praying for a tumor that has shrunk or at least stayed the same size, Mom's update \:\(

We got the MRI results this morning. The tumor has grown (a little). Matt knew before we told him. He 'signed' to us "the tumor grew" right before we were going to tell him.

We are looking at different options - what is best for Matt. Before his surgery in July we talked to Dr. Goldman in Chicago about a Trial Protocol for Meningiomas.

I will update when we found out what we need/want & can do for Matt.

In the meantime, we would appreciate your continued prayers and positive thoughts.

Peace - Light & Love, Shari
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 03/12/10 04:27 PM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while things haven't changed much and Bob and Shari are still waiting to hear back from the Doc's on something new to try. Matt is having trouble with his eyes and they are concentrating on this at the moment. Please continue to pray for Matt and the family they need our strength to keep things together.

Thank you

Bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 03/12/10 04:29 PM
Thanks for checking in Bob. I still get updates from Caring Bridge on Matt. The updates aren't as frequent anymore, but I get to hear how he's doing every once in a while. Continued prayers, of course.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 03/29/10 10:51 PM
Update from Dad, Mom went to Arizona for a week to some sort of convention. Matt is on a new drug and has had his eye operated on so that he can use it a little better. Thanks guys

YEAH.....Matt received his DYNAVOX today. It seems cool but we need training which he will receive at Rehab. He starts Rehab Tuesday where he will be given instructions. Shari comes home today. Yeah, we missed her. We're glad she got to see all of our friends while in Arizona. Matt would like to thank Friend's of Jaclyn for the the chance to be a part of the UMKC team. He also wants to thank All the UMKC Coaches and Players for there wonderful support during the season and at the games Matt was able to attend. I would like to think all the thoughtful folks from the Cole Pray Team, God is great and hears your prayers for Matt. Gob bless you. Matt has tolerated his new medicine well, he is showing no side effects at this time. Pray the medicine is doing it's job and killing the tumor cells. Spring brings life anew and revamps our spirits. I am thankful for all the wonderful people that have helped, prayed and continue to encourage Matt during this time in his life. Thank you all. God Bless you all.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 03/30/10 02:40 AM
Thanks, as always, for the update. I continue to get the updates through Caring Bridge as well and look forward to seeing it in my inbox. Continued prayers from Nebraska.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 04:37 AM
Bump for more thoughts and prayers. Matt needs everyone right now.
Posted By: MikeyBoy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 10:22 AM
Sending prayers from Cali.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 11:00 AM
Prayers coming from Texas. Update?
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 12:46 PM
Here's the update from Caring Bridge yesterday...

Quote:
Matthew needs your prayers and positive thoughts MORE THAN EVER! On Saturday morning we found out the results of the MRI. The results were not what we were all hoping for. Actually they are worse than we ever expected. The tumor has grown a great amount and Matt has leakage in his brain. We aren't sure what steps we will be taking for Matthew. Dr. Lewing has suggested we consider Hospice. We have an appointment with her on Wednesday at 11 am.

Peace - Light & Love - The Hernan Family

On another note - the fundraiser went very well! Thank you to all who helped, attended and donated! Special thank you's to the Bright Cherub Preschool staff and to Raymore Christian Church for allowing us to hold the 'MOBILITY FOR MATT' fundraiser at the church.

If you couldn't make it to the "Mobility for Matt" fundraiser - the vendors have their websites open to order. Each site is below - use Matt Hernan or Mobility for Matt as a reference:

www.mygc.com/WilsonScents
http://my2.tupperware.com/helen
www.pamperedchef.biz/marthabailey7331
www.liasophia.com/kephart
www.kerriallis...on.myarbonne.com
www.mysilpada.com/kimberly.wilkinson

Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 02:24 PM
Omaha thanks

I thought I would share a poem that Matt's cousin wrote in one of his classes. Zach is a senior this year in high school.

Shari & Jim, here's a poem that Zach wrote for English about Matthew. I
thought it was very touching and wanted to share it with you. Matt is
always on Zach's mind. He knows he needs to get over there and visit.
Maybe after he graduates he can come during the day or something.

Gray Haze
You stand there beside me.
There shouldn’t be worry.
The head says otherwise.
The smiles we use to share, the fun we had.
Now that you lay in a bed helpless with every reason to give up but you
fight and fight but I only hope that it’s enough.
You are an inspiration to me.
Tears wiped on the sleeve of my shirt.
I wish they would go away.
Max the dog cheers you up.
He lights up your face like a lantern.
You are a fighter, survivor and champion.
I just want you to be able to play outside and smell the fresh cut green
grass again.
Make this tumor go away!
No more gray haze, just bright clear days.

Thanks for your prayers for Matt and his family
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 02:29 PM
Wow.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/11/10 02:50 PM
Trailsguy, I go to Matt's site whenever there is an update, and I remember
that they just had a fund raiser. I accidently deleted the info, but is
there anywhere that we can send a donation directly to Matt's family?
Please post an address if you think that is appropriate.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/12/10 04:15 AM
well I dont know if its appropriate or not but I am going to anyway, I dont want to upset anyone here though. They are in search of a rv to borrow or something to rent I think they are wanting to take Matt on a trip of some sort I havent heard all the details yet

Bob and Shari Hernan
1705 cinnabar drive
Raymore Mo. 64083
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/12/10 02:44 PM
tks
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/12/10 07:35 PM
This is tough, They went to the Doctors today to find out there is nothing left for them to do and I was shocked to hear that they are only giving Matt a month to be here on earth with us! The tumor has grown very quickly.

Thoughts and prayers for Matt and his family please

thank you
Bob
Posted By: rmedgar Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/12/10 10:27 PM
Very sad. When I read the word Hospice, I was concerned.
Don't really know what to say.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/12/10 11:13 PM
I know, it doesn't seem right, We noticed that he wasn't getting much better once he hit the plateau but it sure didn't seem he was getting worse or at least the last time I seen him which has been a bit longer then I would like. Its doesn't seem real, like the docs have to be wrong...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/13/10 02:13 AM
I have no words. I do have Prayers.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/15/10 11:38 PM

Moms update

We had our appointment on Wednesday with Dr. Lewing. Nonnie came with us and Unk Jim sat with Matt. Unfortunately, the news isn't good. The tumor has grown about 40% and there is leaking into his ventricles. Nonnie and I looked at the scan of the MRI - and...again...unfortunately... a picture says a thousand words. A picture NO Parent would like to see of their child! We were also told Matt could go suddenly.

We are holding on to a message Emileigh received from one of her friends - 'DOCTORS DON'T MAKE THE LAST DECISION, GOD DOES'!!!!!!!!

We met with Hospice "Carousel Pediactrics" yesterday - a nurse and a social worker. Someone will come visit Matt 3 times a week, possibly a volunteer to sit and read with Matt and music therapy. They were very nice and after feeling anxiety all day - it turned out to be a good meeting. They are available 24/7.

Also, yesterday morning some of my Bible study group came over and prayed with Matt. Thank You Ladies! There was a peaceful feeling after and prepared us for the Hospice meeting.

Today we are able to take Matt to the KC Royals game - we get to sit in a Suite! Matt is looking forward to it. Thanks Jeff!

Rhonda & Bright Cherubs Preschool have organized meals for us for the next couple of weeks so we can focus on Matt and not have to worry about dinners! Thank you to ALL of YOU!

We do appreciate your concern, thoughts & prayers! We want you to know - we are not giving up HOPE and still are praying for VICTORY for Matt!!!!

Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/16/10 05:28 AM
Not an update anyone wanted to see, but thanks again for keeping us in mind. Prayers will continue, of course. No wonder Matt's such a tough kid, he's got one tough mother. I can't imagine what that took to put that into words.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/16/10 02:51 PM
I just can't imagnine how strong that family is for what they are going through.

What a fighter Matt is...words are not strong enough.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/16/10 10:33 PM
I agree with Sunil...words are not strong enough....Love and faith are though, and both are strong in your family, including that of your Pond Boss family!!! I'm sure all of us have Matt and family in our prayers!!!
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/16/10 10:52 PM
To Matt's Family,

At this point what can you say.... Except I am sorry and will continue to pray for you all. I am reminded of what my pastor preched about not to long ago. The title of his sermon was. Bad things happen to good people. Unforchanetly that is all to true on this Earth! While we never know what God has in store for us or what we might go through on this Earth all we can do is our best to get through it and try to understand it all the best we can even if it's not what we want to do or hear. Make no bones about it Matt's family, Matt will one day stand up and walk straight and run and jump with all his might! Weather it's here on Earth or up in Heaven either way it WILL come to pass no matter what he WILL be healed one way or another he cannot loose with God on his side!!!! smile

God Bless You Matt and your entire family,
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/17/10 03:05 AM
Thanks guys man it is so tough to think about the future right now. The family wanted me to thank you guys for your prayers, kind words and donations you guys are the best.

Matt went to the game last night, the boys in blue may have lost but they sure know how to make a kid happy, they put Matt and his family up in a suite and truly have taken care of the family more then you can imagine, I wasn't aware of how generous the Royals and the management were until I talked to Matt's uncle last night. WOW those guys are genuinely good people. picture on the left is Matt with his Mom and Dad Bob and Shari the right picture is his Uncle Jim, he and I are close in age and friendship and I can tell you he is one heck of a guy and really looks after Matt.

Thanks

Bob
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/17/10 12:44 PM
Good stuff Bob. Great to hear the Royals took care of them like they did.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 05/27/10 03:07 AM
Moms update, What a great family!

4 years ago today we received the devastating news - Matt was diagnosed with a Brain Stem Tumor.

We decided to do something special on this date - to have a new meaning...a precious and special meaning... Matt and Emileigh were baptized today. The ceremony was very special to all of us. Now, today has a brand new meaning. A new beginning ~ a path of miracles, peace, light & love with faith, hope & victory.
Emileigh had an 'angelic' look on her face when she was baptized. Matthew - oh sweet Matthew, he had tears in his eyes and a look on his face that was of relief and PEACE!

I will post a couple of pictures when I have them down loaded.

Romans 5:1~5

Tomorrow Matt will have Music Therapy and Occupational Therapy at home. Also, JoAnne, Matt's homebound teacher comes over 3 times a week. We have a request - since it is difficult for Matt to see/read - we are wondering if anyone out there would mind loaning us some books on tape/cd??? Matt likes history, biographies, star wars, sports and anything funny! We will get them back to you.

Oh my goodness, we can't thank Bright Cherubs, the families and teachers enough! The dinners have been wonderful - a stress reliever. And, Rhonda, thank you for delivering the yummy dinners! THANK YOU - THANK YOU!

peace - light & love ~ The Hernan Family
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 06/29/10 02:04 AM
Moms update, Its been a while and this is tough, Matt is a fighter is all I can say, there is more fight in that one young man then I could ever imagine. It doesnt seem right or fair for him and his family to have to endure this, I know there is a greater power and God has his reason and I have faith!

Dear Family & Friends,

Not really sure what to update. We just keep taking everything in stride... day by day .... hour by hour .... minute by minute. For me and (I think Bob too) - it's gets more difficult with each day. Watching Matt - still praying, hoping and wishing for a miracle. Not wanting to lose our boy - but, not wanting him to suffer.
These days - Matt doesn't make much noise and can't lift his eyebrows or eyelids to answer our questions. He's been having more bloody noses. I got him a Humidifer over the weekend. We will see i that helps.

We miss him - I miss him. I would give anything for Matt to make a mess; with his duct tape and cardboard all over the living room floor or a mess in the kitchen from some sort of concoction he has created. For Matt to ask us to take him to Blockbuster, Gamestop, Walmart or Lowe's for that one movie, game or part he wants or needs to make something.

Sometimes - probably most of the time, we: Emileigh, Bob and myself try to put up a brave front. We are hurting inside everyday.

We've been asked - "what can I (we) do for you?" Just want you to know - we do appreciate phone calls (you aren't bothering us) we won't answer the phone if we are busy with Matt, but please leave a message. Most of the time Bob and I are home alone with Matt. We also don't mind visits - we just ask that you call first... late afternoon and evenings seem to be best.

Peace - Light & Love, Shari
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 01:26 PM
I am sorry to have to say that Matt passed away over night. He was a trooper a fighter like none other, and now he is in peace. How he managed to smile and laugh while going through this journey is beyond me. There was more love and joy in that young man then most could ever know. I am sorry for not keeping things updated but it was always more bad news after another and I guess I felt that if I didn't read it or acknowledge it, then it wasn't happening, we all had faith that Matt would beat this and get to be like the other kids. I guess God already had his plans for Matt and now he gets to be free of the bed and all the aches and pains that he has gone through over the last year or so. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Bob
Posted By: Brettski Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 01:34 PM
Peace be with Matt
Strength be with his family and loved ones
-
This is a sad day
Posted By: ewest Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 01:47 PM
There is a hole in our collective lives but Matt is now at peace - a new door opened and he is on to a better place without fear and pain.

For each of us there is a message to seize the day and make the most that you can with the time that you have. It is about the journey and it is indeed one worth taking.
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 01:58 PM
Bob, since you started this thread Matt and his family have been an inspiration to me and countless others that I forwarded his courageous story to. I want to thank you again for allowing us the privilege to get to "know" Matt. While his updates were not always encouraging, the love of his family and friends was always admirable and something I won't soon forget. You are a blessed man to be a part of such a family and of course prayers will continue from our household for the Hernan family. God bless.
I'm sorry to hear this, my condolences to you and family. God Bless
Posted By: RC51 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 02:32 PM
Bob,

RC51 here, My wife and I have been praying for you guys ever since we met you all in Little Rock. We have a 14 year old boy ourselves and we thank God every day for his health, and it breaks our heart to see another child hurting the way Matt and his family was and still is. I sit here at a loss for words to say. I can't think to much about it as I will lose my composure and won't be able to write anything! There is nothing we or I can say at this point to make anything better so I will leave with saying this one thing. It's a poem that helped me through some tough times. Take care to all and once again I am sorry for your loss.

In Memory of

Miss Me –But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul that has been set free?

Miss Me a Little – But Not Too Long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss Me – But Let Me Go.

For this is a journey that we all must take
And each must go alone
It’s all part of the Master’s plan
A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Please Miss Me – But Let Me Go.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 02:46 PM
Perhaps, later tonight, we can all observe a moment of silence for Matt, and to give strength to his family.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 11:16 PM
It's sad to hear that Matt lost his fight, but he is at peace and we will pray for him and his family.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 11:24 PM
The caring bridge update from mom
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/21/10 11:42 PM
Gods speed Matthew!

frown
Posted By: Rattletrap2 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/10 01:32 AM
Very sad to read this tonight. Matt will be in my thoughts this evening. May he finally rest in peace.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/10 01:45 AM
I have no words. Prayers must suffice.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 09/22/10 01:48 AM
Prayers from Lincoln, too.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/03/10 04:20 AM
Matt and the Royals

The Royals have done so much for the Hernans this little article does no justice. They brightened a young mans life if only for a short time. But yet they never made a issue of it, or wanted any kind of attention like hey look what I did for this kid. So many helped it was amazing them guys truly cared about Matt and It gives me even more pride to say those guys are My Royals. Way to go boys in blue!!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/03/10 04:16 PM
Read that one last night. Very cool.
Posted By: Rainman Re: A special request Please UPDATED - 10/03/10 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Very cool.

+1
© Pond Boss Forum