Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave J Weed control on banks - 04/21/09 12:21 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum so please excuse if I am in the wrong place for this question. I have weeds/grass on the banks of my pond and dont have the $ yet to place nice river rock around it. I dont like to move it because it is steep and all the grass goes into the water. Question: Can I spray round up on the upper part of the bank to kill weeds/grass without harming my fish. Pond is 1/2 acre with deep spots being 12 ft.

Thanks for the info
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Weed control on banks - 04/21/09 12:40 PM
Yes, you can. Roundup isn't toxic to fish. But, it isn't labeled for fish, either. The "problem" is the surfactant mixed with Roundup. It is safe to use on land. Be sure to read and follow the label.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weed control on banks - 04/21/09 04:46 PM
I might add that one reason to keep the grass down on your banks is it can hide the damage muskrats can do to your banks. I know I'm going to get more religious about it as I had some major muskrat damage this year on one of my dikes and it resulted in a leak.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Weed control on banks - 04/21/09 09:41 PM
Dave J - I would be careful with a complete vegetation "kill" if your pond has steep banks. You could end up with serious erosion issues. The erosion of a bank goes directly to the bottom of your pond; not a good thing.
Posted By: TennJeff Re: Weed control on banks - 04/21/09 11:28 PM
maybe a specific herbicide to kill weeds but let a little turf grass continue?

Jeff-
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weed control on banks - 04/22/09 12:58 AM
I didn't mean to kill all the grass. I was referring to keeping it trimmed down.
Posted By: fishinglth Re: Weed control on banks - 04/22/09 02:11 AM
Will round up kill willows and salt cedars? Would it hurt to mix some diesel with it along with the water?
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Weed control on banks - 04/22/09 04:54 AM
Round up would probabaly kill the willows and salt cedars but why would you want to mix Diesel with it? Are you trying to use it as a surfactant? You wouldn't need any surfactant when spaying round up. Why not use something like reward for spraying anything around the pond or 2-4D for any broad leaf weeds. If you do use round-up make sure that the active ingredient "glyphosate" is at least 48%. You would need to go through a feed store to get it probabaly. Wal-mart and you discount stores sell a very diluted version of round up. Hi yeild makes a product called "Kills all" That is a generic version of round up.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weed control on banks - 04/22/09 10:35 AM
Larry, I use Remedy on wood and it works great as a foliar spray. I recently tried to kill some oaks with a 3:1 mix with diesel and I'm not seeing much results that way but it may take more time. Or, I may need to do a better spraying/drenching around the base. However, oaks are weeds, not trees. They are double tough to eliminate.

I use Roundup only on grassy stuff.
Posted By: fishinglth Re: Weed control on banks - 04/23/09 03:31 PM
Dave, For many years I have used 1/2 gallon of Remedy with 25 gallons of diesel to kill Mesquite Trees. I spray all the way around the base of the tree and up about 12 inches on the trunk, I do not spray the leaves. We have had good success with this formula, not sure if it would work on hard woods.
jsand13, thanks, I will try the round up without the diesel, makes sense.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weed control on banks - 04/23/09 06:39 PM
Heck Larry, when did mesquite quit being a hardwood? Those things are nightmares on tires and hands. However, they ain't half bad for cooking BBQ and heating.

Thanks for telling me about your recipe. I've been using a much heavier concoction but probably under treating them. I'm doing 3:1 and you're doing 50:1. I'm going to try it your way but I'm running out of Springtime.
Posted By: fishinglth Re: Weed control on banks - 04/23/09 09:44 PM
Dave, My experience has been that it works best during the hottest part of the summer on into the early fall. Takes a couple of weeks before you can see them beginning to die. I tried water one time instead of diesel with the Remedy but it did not work very well at all.
© Pond Boss Forum