Pond Boss
Posted By: bz The smell of life - 04/14/09 01:26 AM
I've finally figured out one of the things I really like about my pond. It's the smell. It has that "live" smell unlike ponds with no fish in them. Not the smell of an empty pond with just water. I have very clean water and without the fish there was no smell, now it smells like life. You know the smell, the closest thing I can compare it too is the smell of the fish tanks in the bait shop. The smell of cool, well aerated water with lots of life in it. Not a fishy smell like a fish cleaning house, but a fishy smell like healthy, living fish. When the wind blows off the pond into my face I smell it and I know all is well.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 04:02 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about. This weekend my wife and I were out on our pond in a small rowboat and the water was very healthy looking and just getting a bit of an olive tint to it from the spring warming weather. It had a distinct pleasant smell to it.
Posted By: bobad Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 04:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: Captain1
I know exactly what you are talking about.

Harry: "Hey Marv, do you smell that? It smells like freedom!"
Marv: "No, it smells like fish"

I know exactly what BZ's talking about. I call it the smell of life (or fertile water)too.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 06:24 AM
I've got some wild peppermint around my ponds which adds a nice touch.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 02:18 PM
Funny you mention that. One of the first things my wife and always notice when we first get to our property (after an 8.5 hour drive, through "wonderful smelling LA") is the smell of the air at the ranch. A hint of pine or cedar, the sweet smell of the meadow grass, the smell of the pond. All was good until last year on one of the trips we walked down to the pond and we accosted by a sincerely horrible smell. Turned out a deer died and fell into the pond, or fell into the pond and was attacked by hordes of RES, I can't be sure how it happened. Anyhoo decaying deer doesn't smell so nice. Course that didn't stop DIED from fishing right next to it.
Posted By: Brettski Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 03:01 PM
Good place to set your beer. A bag of chips compliments the free dip.
-
-
...wanna buy a toofbrush?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 03:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I've got some wild peppermint around my ponds which adds a nice touch.

My In-Laws old place had peppermint. It does smell nice.

I have wild onion; still nice, but more main course than dessert.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 05:55 PM
I love the smell of the pond in the morning, smells like....VICTORY!!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 09:10 PM

the body is disposable when the mind and soul is fishin...

besides that little deer didnt stink much. try this....one time in the middle of a hot stagnant stretch of summer i discovered a large bull died in the gulley in front of our house. i informed the ranch but they said it was too steep and remote to pull it out. they knew what was comin and offered to put some lime on the carcass but it didnt help much. the yotes and vultures ate on that thing for a month....and i'll tell you what it was helluv stanky the whole time.....

ahhh, the smells of ponds and country.....wouldnt change a thing.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: The smell of life - 04/14/09 11:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
besides that little deer didnt stink much.

Try leaving it in the Sun for 3 days and then running it through a hay baler.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 12:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
besides that little deer didnt stink much.

Try leaving it in the Sun for 3 days and then running it through a hay baler.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 03:38 PM
Stink I'll tell you stink. A 25 foot 4,000 pound grey whale that had been dead and rotting in the ocean for a week washed up on shore on a nearby beach. Stunk the whole place up. The township's life guards towed the carcass out to sea and turned it loose.

Two days later it washed up on a beach of the next town south. And now there is evidence that Great White sharks have been feeding on the carcass.

So now we have smelly beaches and lots of angry white sharks swimming about.

Tourists be ware.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 03:39 PM
Great Whites are scavengers? I would never have guessed. I would have thought they were only interested in live food.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 05:18 PM
I love This Video on the internet of the idiots who tried to blow a whale up that had washed onshore dead. Threw chunks of nasty rotten meat everywhere. Genius I tell you!!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 05:52 PM
Great White Sharks Feeding on Whale Carcass.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: The smell of life - 04/15/09 11:48 PM
uuummmmmmmmm blubber.
© Pond Boss Forum