Pond Boss
Posted By: howard free pacu , north texas - 03/12/09 04:44 PM
i Have 2, approximately 4 lb. each, pacu. I have been overwintering them this winter in my garage. They are beautiful fish, but i believe they are responsible for eating holes in my aerator hose and fountain cord, so i don't want to put them in my pond this spring. They are free to anyone that want to come and get them.I will continue to keep them in my garage till it is warm enough. I live in pilot point, texas..
thanks,
Posted By: bobad Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/12/09 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: howard
i Have 2, approximately 4 lb. each, pacu.

Agree, beautiful fish! I really miss mine.

When fishing for pacu, use a steel leader or at least super braided line, because they easly snip monofilament.
Posted By: davatsa Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/12/09 05:35 PM
That's a generous offer, Howard. I'd definitely come get them if I lived a more reasonable distance away...
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/13/09 02:35 AM
I've heard they are great additions to southern ponds if you can fish them out before it gets too cold each winter... Anyone else have experience with them, I sure don't!
Posted By: Rad Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/13/09 08:37 AM
Howard is right they will eat almost everything in a pond, if they can't eat it they will eventually destroy it.

But, they are an awesome catch, they jump and run with the best. Firm white meat makes for good eating as well.

Meadowlark might be a good candidate for adopting them.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/13/09 03:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rad
Howard is right they will eat almost everything in a pond, if they can't eat it they will eventually destroy it.

But, they are an awesome catch, they jump and run with the best. Firm white meat makes for good eating as well.

Meadowlark might be a good candidate for adopting them.

Am I thinking of the same fish here? Pacus are the fish that are shaped almost like giant dinner plates right? I never would have thought that they are good fighters. I guess you learn something new every day.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/13/09 03:13 PM
One of Rad's pacu:

Feeding time at a Thai pacu restaurant:

Ml's pacu:

Posted By: davatsa Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/13/09 05:12 PM
And last, and least, ahvatsa's and davatsa's poor Pacu (one of five) that didn't make it:

Posted By: Rad Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/14/09 02:02 AM
Brett295,
Yup. that is the fish, it has cartilage in the upper edge of it's tail which I am guessing gives it extra power, it also tends to run parallel to the shore giving you a broadside to deal with, and as Bobad said a set of teeth to a braid the line.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/16/09 01:03 PM
I want to try one for dinner sometime... I hear they taste great!
Posted By: Brett295 Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/16/09 01:43 PM
They sound like a lot of fun!
Posted By: james holt Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/16/09 04:56 PM
Do you still have the free pacu? I am only a few miles from you.
Posted By: howard Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/17/09 03:59 PM
i still have them..call me 214-802-8010
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/18/09 08:29 PM
Davasta, where did you get your Pacu? I might try some in a smaller pond.

Thanks
Posted By: howard Re: free pacu , north texas - 03/18/09 09:58 PM
FWIW..i got mine at petsmart..haven't heard from James..so still available until time to put my tilapia in the pond..should be soon..water temp in low 60's this morn..If i still have them by then..well..off to the skillet!
© Pond Boss Forum