Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/15/09 10:11 PM
I know I don't know it all, but I have learned so much on this site and from my own experience raising fish, that the level of ignorance on some of the fishing sites can be downright funny. Here are some things I have read and tried to correct on one site in particular. Mind you if one does it too much they resent you and get offended. I was told in the New York category that I was a guest and to behave myself.

1.) Talpia can survive under the ice. (Yes they have adapted LOL)

2.) A fish's color varies due to oxygen levels.

3.) A bluegill that is light in color is a female -- never mind it was caught through the ice in the winter and most likely turbid water and it has a long ear tab.

4.) A juvenile northern pike is a tiger musky just because it hasn't developed the bean spots yet.

5.) A musky that has bars is automatically a tiger musky.

6.) One anglers catches 18 inch perch all the time!

7.) If you don't release ALL bass you're an idiot!

It goes on and on! I won't even go into the fish management arguments that couldn't be more wrong! On example is a massive lake in New York. Lake Geroge, all 288,000 acres has nothing but small yellow perch because everyone catches the big ones! Uh huh!

In all fairness there are a few very knowledgable people on these sites. It's just that a few of them make the rest look kind of dumb.

Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/15/09 10:46 PM
It would be a dull world if everyone knew everything \:\) .
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/15/09 11:53 PM
It will never be a dull world.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 12:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

What??!!??

Geeze Cecil. A perch that lives in water with lots of oxygen has red ears (gills), and is known as a red eared bluegill. When that same perch has an absence of oxygen, its gills turn blue, and it is known as a bluegilled perch! In between, especially those in waters with too much pollution, these same fish are known as yellow perch. Some perch have stripes down their sides, and they are known as tiger musky perch!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 12:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

What??!!??

Geeze Cecil. A perch that lives in water with lots of oxygen has red ears (gills), and is known as a red eared bluegill. When that same perch has an absence of oxygen, its gills turn blue, and it is known as a bluegilled perch! In between, especially those in waters with too much pollution, these same fish are known as yellow perch. Some perch have stripes down their sides, and they are known as tiger musky perch!

Cat there aren't many people that know that! \:\/
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 03:30 AM
Sometimes it is just fun to sit back and watch the circus...
Posted By: ewest Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 02:22 PM
Circus -- and all that time I thought it was a zoo.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 02:53 PM
With only one Shihtzu.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 06:40 PM
Yeah but they have plenty of Shihtzu nots!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 07:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Yeah but they have plenty of Shihtzu nots!

Usually Bob but this particular zoo I'm referring to is low budget. It only has one Shihtzu.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/16/09 09:42 PM
I know exactly what you mean Cecil...sad but true. I can't count the number of times of heard it recommended on these sites that you should stock shovelhead catfish to control an overpopulation of bluegill or to stock 20lbs of fathead minnows twice a year to feed a stunted bass population in an acre pond. Recently, somebody told a guy with a 15 acre pond to stock some carp for forage or to trap some minnows and crayfish from the nearby creek. I even heard to stock bullfrog tadpoles for forage.

My bass fishing buddies look at me like I'm Hannibal Lector when I talk about eating bass fillets.
Posted By: DJT Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 02:04 AM
Yeah it can get crazy. On this one website I've read there is this guy in Minnesota who bet this Indiana taxidermist that he could grow a 10 lb bass in his pond. These two jokers are always trading jabs back and forth and.............

WAIT A MINUTE!!! ............ \:D
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 04:13 AM
I was on a forum once where the moderator got all bent out of shape when I was talking about eating smallmouth bass even though I had way too many of them!!!

Also was reading online about a small sect of whacko's who think there is more to a Green Sunfish than just being great bank pole bait!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 04:47 AM
Long Live the GSA!!!

Posted By: TOM G Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 01:08 PM
Well,its pretty obvious who's suckin up to JHAP.I,on the other hand,eat GSF and LMB.And I dont care if you call me Hanibal either. \:o :)Then again,I'll eat just about anything I catch,cause I cant catch much \:D \:D
Posted By: n8ly Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 01:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Long Live the GSA: America's Premier Live Bait Association!

I fixed your quote for ya!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 01:49 PM
Kaboom!!!!!!!!
Posted By: bobad Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 03:13 PM
MMMmmmm Smallll mouth bassss...

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 03:35 PM
I can't turn my back on you guys for one darn minute.

I would take the time to describe to you all what devious plans I had for you given the level of blasphemy that has been spewed on this site but I have chosen not to.

Since it's my birthday today, I grant you all immunity for one day.

Oh and by the way, I was not born in the 1800's as Heybud suggested. I just look that way naturally (ok well maybe not so naturally, growing up in Southern California in the 70s takes a lot out of a person).

Enjoy your day of immunity, heretics.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 03:38 PM
Happy Birthday JHAP!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 04:11 PM
May you blow out all the candles on your cake before the heat drives you back.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 07:52 PM
Hey,way cool.Happy Birthday.So your what,168 now?
birthday greetings old buddy.

CJBS........YOU ARE THE MAN!!
thanks for taking up the slack, this be JHAP's busy time of year, and i just plain cant monitor everyone....N**8!#$LY!!

oh and bobad, i needed a little warning before scrolling down on that pic....now i have to clean the spittle off my monitor. \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 11:18 PM
Happy Birthday, JHAP!

I think that you look great for 68.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/17/09 11:48 PM
Cecil is right. People that think they know everything annoy those of us that do.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 12:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jersey
Cecil is right. People that think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

I feel the same way Jersey.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 01:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Since it's my birthday today, I grant you all immunity for one day.

Enjoy your day of immunity, heretics.

Sheesh! I wish I'd have read this thread before I submitted your name to Willard. (Just kiddn' ;\) )

Have a lot more happy birthdays. I hope to be watching Willard when he announces your 200th.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 02:13 AM
Happy B'day young fella.......
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 03:52 AM
Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday Dear JHAP...Happy Birthday to you.

That wasn't so bad now was it?
Posted By: claybird Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 04:03 AM
Happy Birthday, JHAP, from a fellow Aquarian!! Well, not really a fellow...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 04:18 AM
Is it just me but does anyone else feel there are two threads going on at one time here?

Oh yeah. Happy birthday JHAP!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 05:39 AM
Happy Birthday! a little late...
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 03:35 PM
Is it just me but does anyone else feel there are two threads going on at one time here?

Only two? I think that might be a record, usually we have four our five subject matters going in one thread.

Thanks all for the birthday wishes. I wish I could say I had a fun and relaxing day but it's tax season so no such luck. My family gives out funny birthday cards, my sister gave me one of the funnies this year. It went like this:

Happy Birthday to my brother! Remember what a dork you were?

(open the card, and on the inside...)

'Cause if not I have photos.

Good stuff. Ricki got me a cake with a candle that played Happy Birthday, cracked me up. She only put one of them on the cake because if she put one for each year the neighbors would have called "Noise Abatement" and reported me.

Thanks for all the Bday wishes.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 03:59 PM
Late happy BD, JHAP. I cant believe youre still having those things.

OK, back on topic. I turn blue if I hold my breath too long.
Posted By: george1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 08:29 PM
HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY Jeff .... !!!!!!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/18/09 11:51 PM
Hey, what's that green stuff in my pond???
Posted By: Rainman Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/19/09 12:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Hey, what's that green stuff in my pond???

Was Jeff near the pond after eating the candle?

Happy B-B-Day Jeff!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 05:50 PM
Well I'm sorry to hijack this multipli-hijacked thread (And JHAP's birthday is history anyway) but the latest on an ice fishing site is that a black nose crappie is a black and white hybrid. Groooooan! I set them straight as tactfully as I could, but I'm think I'm getting the reputation as a know it all. \:\/

When I asked for verification that oxygen levels effect fish colors (one poster said it was in research by Cornell and Tampa University) he got upset and next thing I know the thread is gone and a mod told me to take my "bovine excretement" off line. What can I say I can ruffle feathers without even trying.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 06:23 PM
I think it is the same on every topic that can have forums. I am on 3 forestry related forums. 2 to learn something, and 1 to read all of the unbelievable BS for a good laugh. Post count seems to imply knowledge, too. The more posts the smarter you must be. I once read a post where the whole forum told off another poster about public access to a fishing area, ended up locked and then deleted. The guy they ran off the site was a friend of mine down in Houston who is a lawyer on property owner rights, specifically on who can access what for different reasons ie. right of ways, equipment, leases, public funds acceptance, etc. He joined the forum to find occasional shore access fishing for his lunch hour and out of town trips. They did not know he was a lawyer and just said "How does a Noobie know anything?".
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 06:26 PM
Dang Cecil, I've heard some proper insults but this is my favorite by far. Keep rufflin!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 07:07 PM
When I asked for verification that oxygen levels effect fish colors (one poster said it was in research by Cornell and Tampa University) he got upset and next thing I know the thread is gone and a mod told me to take my "bovine excretement" off line. What can I say I can ruffle feathers without even trying.

I guess we should be glad you are so well behaved here. ;\) \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 07:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
Post count seems to imply knowledge, too. The more posts the smarter you must be.

Say what?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 07:19 PM
Not to worry Theo. Nobody here was confused regarding post counts vs. intelligence.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 09:47 PM
By his numbers Theo must have an IQ of 200!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing sites what a hoot. LOL - 02/20/09 11:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I guess we should be glad you are so well behaved here. ;\) \:\)

I'm really not a bad guy. Honest!
© Pond Boss Forum