Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 07:33 PM
Anyone in northern climes interested in seeing what Tilapia will do to green string algae (aka filamentous)up north here in the north (Northeastern Indiana) vs. down south? If my hunch is correct they may be a biological control for "pond scum" up here as they are down south, and if used in conjunction with Grass Carp for certain macrophytes could preclude the use of chemicals?

I will drain and refill a pond this spring up here in northern Indiana, and if it's par for the course I will get quite a bloom of filamentous algae initially before the macrophytes -- chiefly Chara take hold.

I'm going to get some Talapia from Rainman via air at some point this spring, put them in an RAS temporarily to get them up to size to escape predation, and then plant them at say 25 lbs. per acre.

They won't have to be too large as the pond will only have male bluegill and yellow perch in it. No bass.

Only thing that may not be comparable to many of your ponds is there won't be much predation to keep their numbers down due to the lack of bass. I'm thinking in this case I may want to use males only?

Thoughts?

Ryan Freeze? Theo?
Posted By: george1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 08:11 PM
Cecil, ~5 lbs of same sex tilapia has worked well for algae control in our 1/4 acre pond, when no reproduction is needed or desired.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 08:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: george1
Cecil, ~5 lbs of same sex tilapia has worked well for algae control in our 1/4 acre pond, when no reproduction is needed or desired.

Wow only ~5 lbs.?!

The particular pond I will put them in however gets massive blooms all over the place when first filled. I'm talking blooms of 10 by 20 feet all over the pon all the way to the bottom. I'm thinking more than 5 lbs. of same sex would have to be stocked for that amount right?
Posted By: george1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 09:04 PM
Todd can tell you stocking numbers for your particular problem.
Depends on numbers of male tilapia /lb.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 09:26 PM
If you are looking for just algae control and not as a food fish for LMB then 5-10 lbs per acre maybe OK? No experience with tilapia though. Definitely would be interested to see what the results are though.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 09:42 PM
Bluegill and SMB will hammer the tilapia fry and small fish after the bloom is controlled. Early spawns may well grow large enough to avoid predation.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 01/31/09 09:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: george1
Todd can tell you stocking numbers for your particular problem.
Depends on numbers of male tilapia /lb.

Thanks George. It's not really a problem. I could eliminate the filamentous algae with aquashade easily, but I thought I could see what the tilapia will do with extensive algae as a research idea for an article. The water in this pond, although nutrient rich, is gin clear btw. You can see the bottom at 12 feet. If it was 20 feet I could probably also see the bottom. The algae loves it for obvious reasons.

I've often said a guy up my way could possibly raise and market the tilapia for biological algae control and if he promoted it right could have a booming business. Maybe market both tilapia and grass carp. Lots of folks are frustrated using chemicals up here.

I will contact Todd at some point and get his recommendations. I really respect anything Todd says as I do you and others on this site.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 12:09 AM
Yes, yes I am Cecil. I think a little cheat sheet with basic questions answered would be very helpful for anyone up North.

Sounds to me like growing them out in Aquariums to spawning size is the key. One only need to keep a few back every year to continually resupply their ponds each year. I like the sound of that.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Anyone in northern climes interested in seeing what Tilapia will do to bluegreen algae (filamentous) up north here in the north (Northeastern Indiana) vs. down south? If my hunch is correct they may be a biological control for "pond scum" up here as they are down south, and if used in conjunction with Grass Carp for certain macrophytes could preclude the use of chemicals?

I will drain and refill a pond this spring up here in northern Indiana, and if it's par for the course I will get quite a bloom of filamentous algae initially before the macrophytes -- chiefly Chara take hold.

I'm going to get some Talapia from Rainman via air at some point this spring, put them in an RAS temporarily to get them up to size to escape predation, and then plant them at say 25 lbs. per acre.

They won't have to be too large as the pond will only have male bluegill and yellow perch in it. No bass.

Only thing that may not be comparable to many of your ponds is there won't be much predation to keep their numbers down due to the lack of bass. I'm thinking in this case I may want to use males only?

Thoughts?

Ryan Freeze? Theo?

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 12:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Bluegill and SMB will hammer the tilapia fry and small fish after the bloom is controlled. Early spawns may well grow large enough to avoid predation.

So I might not worry about putting them in an RAS initially to get larger but can plant some fry I get from you directly into the pond?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 01:57 PM
Cecil, I think it was HeyBud that put in enough tilapia that I thought was way overstocked and would just beg for a DO crash. However, it didn't happen. With a shorter season, you might be able to ignore gender.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 04:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Cecil, I think it was HeyBud that put in enough tilapia that I thought was way overstocked and would just beg for a DO crash. However, it didn't happen. With a shorter season, you might be able to ignore gender.

Hmmm... never thought of producing too many fish.
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 04:43 PM
Cecil I would recommend mixed sex tilapia at a rate of 30lbs per acre. You are experimenting and the results have implications about market potential in northern ponds. Aquaculturists interested in this market may shy away from the need to sex their tilapia stock and find a market for their females. There are "all male stocks" available but aren't 100% males.

Rainman is right, bluegill and SMB will put heavy pressure on tilapia fry.

Good luck.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 05:27 PM
As Todd has said in another post, DO seems to stabilize with tilapia. Tilapia actually prefer lower quality waters and they thrive where other fish die.

Tilapia are constantly on the move in water and I am sure this helps to circulate it. With large numbers, they may create somewhat of a turnover in ponds since they use the oxygen deprived areas of the water to feed in and their large tail moves a lot of water.

Totally guessing on my part except for the personally observed constant motion. But it makes sense in my imaginative little mind.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 07:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
Cecil I would recommend mixed sex tilapia at a rate of 30lbs per acre. You are experimenting and the results have implications about market potential in northern ponds. Aquaculturists interested in this market may shy away from the need to sex their tilapia stock and find a market for their females. There are "all male stocks" available but aren't 100% males.

Rainman is right, bluegill and SMB will put heavy pressure on tilapia fry.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

Todd,

What size do you recommend for planting into a pond with 10 to 12 inch yellow perch and adult bluegills to 1.3 lbs. (most 8 to 9 inches)? I don't have any smallmouth anymore. No bass whatsoever.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 07:14 PM
Cecil, I don't know anything of preferred size for the SMB, but the tilapia will be too big for even large gills in under a month of age.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 07:20 PM

So I might not worry about putting them in an RAS initially to get larger but can plant some fry I get from you directly into the pond?

Maybe not fry (<1") But certainly 50 to a hundred 2" fish would get large so fast the SMB could not eat them. I doubt a 1 lb gill could get a 2-3" tilapia in it's mouth either. (If it could catch it--They're fast!)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 07:26 PM

Maybe not fry (<1") But certainly 50 to a hundred 2" fish would get large so fast the SMB could not eat them. I doubt a 1 lb gill could get a 2-3" tilapia in it's mouth either. (If it could catch it--They're fast!)

No bass whatsoever in the pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 07:28 PM
Cecil, I don't know anything of preferred size for the SMB, but the tilapia will be too big for even large gills in under a month of age.

No smallmouth in the pond!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/01/09 08:15 PM
I apologize Cecil! Substitute every referance to SMB with your Yellow Perch. I've got SMB on the brain today!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/02/09 01:21 AM
I apologize Cecil! Substitute every referance to SMB with your Yellow Perch. I've got SMB on the brain today!

No problem. You guys kept saying smallmouth and I didn't recall saying smallmouth bass! \:o
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/02/09 03:20 AM
SMB, YP, Same thing only differant!
Posted By: bbjr Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/02/09 12:03 PM
Cecil,
I ended up using 100 1/2 lb. nile tilapia (~7-9") in my 1 acre pond last year. I had about a 10' ring of FA all the way around the perimeter and they cleared it up completely in less than two weeks. By November 4th, they had died and were about 12+ inches and 1.5-2 lbs.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/02/09 05:33 PM
You catch any of those tilapia to eat? Sounds like they were the perfect filet size!
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/03/09 05:15 AM
Looking forward to hearing all about this project.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/06/09 04:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
You catch any of those tilapia to eat? Sounds like they were the perfect filet size!

I only caught and ate 4. I caught 3 during the summer on hook and line and 3 or 4 in a cast net, but let them go. The 4 that I kept I caught when they were sluggish with a cast net near the end of October.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/06/09 04:26 AM
How did they taste out of the pond? Did you need to purge them?
Posted By: bbjr Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/07/09 04:27 AM
I thought that they tasted really good. I did not purge them, just rinsed the filets in cold water immediately after filleting. I wish I could of gotten more out of the pond, but I mis-judged the time line for getting them out. The week I caught the ones I ate was pretty cold and the water was in the mid to low 50's, but then the weather warmed back up for a week or so and I did not go back out to the pond. When I finally made it back, I seen all the tilapia floating near the banks. The funny thing is, all the dead tilapia were fairly large. I think the smallest dead one I found was about 4-6", but 90% were over 10".
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/07/09 05:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
I thought that they tasted really good. I did not purge them, just rinsed the filets in cold water immediately after filleting. I wish I could of gotten more out of the pond, but I mis-judged the time line for getting them out. The week I caught the ones I ate was pretty cold and the water was in the mid to low 50's, but then the weather warmed back up for a week or so and I did not go back out to the pond. When I finally made it back, I seen all the tilapia floating near the banks. The funny thing is, all the dead tilapia were fairly large. I think the smallest dead one I found was about 4-6", but 90% were over 10".

bbjr, from all I've read on the subject, that sounds exactly how it should have happened. The smaller fish most likely became food for the LMB, CC, BG, and other predators present. The bigger ones that die will quickly become terrestrial wildlife food.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/15/09 09:02 PM
bbjr & Cecil:

This is getting interesting! I was looking at Tilapia for both forage and control of algae, but didn't think that it was a viable option because of their cold water intolerance. I can live with re-stocking every year. Where are they available up this way? I'm 1/2hr. due East of Valpo about a mile and a half North of Rt. 30.

I had a terrible time with algae last year when the pond was smaller. This year with the increase in size (more than doubled the size) I don't know how bad it will be.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/15/09 09:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
bbjr & Cecil:

This is getting interesting! I was looking at Tilapia for both forage and control of algae, but didn't think that it was a viable option because of their cold water intolerance. I can live with re-stocking every year. Where are they available up this way? I'm 1/2hr. due East of Valpo about a mile and a half North of Rt. 30.

I had a terrible time with algae last year when the pond was smaller. This year with the increase in size (more than doubled the size) I don't know how bad it will be.

We will have to see what BBjr. says and he is in your area of the state. (According to Mapquest you are only about 30 minutes apart). My guess is live Asian market near Chicago? Rainman can also overnight ship you some talapia fry. Only thing is you need to apply for a Fish Hauler's and Suppliers permit to bring them into the state but it's free and painless. Talapia are allowed to be imported into Indiana as long as you have a Fish Hauler's and Supplier's permit. I would get one just to be safe even if you buy them in state. I can email you an application form.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/15/09 10:35 PM
Cecil:

Thanks, PM sent.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Tilapia Research Experiment - 02/16/09 12:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Thanks, PM sent.

Likewise.
© Pond Boss Forum