Pond Boss
Posted By: Sgt911 Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 06:47 PM
Am I reading this right?

http://www.centralpark.com/pages/sports/fishing.html
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 07:20 PM
"The Parks Department is not responsible for any law suits brought by fish or their immediate families." Is that what you are refering to?

With a disclaimer like that I would not want to fish there. I don't think I could take the chance of being sued by a LMB.

Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 07:24 PM
this too
"all fish caught must be put back into the water immediately; a written apology is optional, but strongly encouraged"
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 07:27 PM
Sorry mister fishy....... I mean mr "Sea Kitten". I didn't want to eat you I just wanted to make you late for something. \:D
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 08:13 PM
I thought you meant the part about not fishing with bread b/c found to be harmful. That is one the most poorly written piece of garbage lined with misinformation about fish. Even worse than all my typos on this site. This is just another reason to not live in NYC.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 09:13 PM
I think the "written apology" part was just another lame attempt at humor one of our Northern friends.......
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 09:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
This is just another reason to not live in NYC.

Just think, Greg, if you were from the Big Apple, you'd be managing for big Gefiltes and Coney Island Whitefish.
Posted By: mmorgan Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 09:41 PM
A year or two ago I saw a turkey in central park with a bunch of pigeons. Kinda strange, along with everything else in the park.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 10:40 PM
Looks to me like the website was done tongue-in-cheek (is that a dumb saying or what, here is what wikipedia says about the phrase tongue in cheek.. "The origin of its usage comes from when Spanish minstrels would perform for various dukes in the 18th century; these dukes would silently chastise the silliness of the minstrel's performances by placing their tongue firmly to the side of their cheek." It still makes little to no sense). But I digress, I can't imagine anyone requiring a written apology for catching fish. Well unless of course they caught a Green Sunfish, then it seems perfectly reasonable.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 10:54 PM
mike iaconelli does a fun show called "city limits" which many of you have probably seen. i think there was one in NY that included central park....IIRC he caught some nice bass out of there.

he did one here in sac town and almost got skunked.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 10:55 PM
Speaking of places to fish we have an interesting situation on a local lake I just found out about. It's private which I respect. However the lake association has it in their bylaws that only lake association members may fish it, and none of the lake association members can give permission to a friend or relative. It says the angler can be charged with felony trespassing even if he has permission from a property owner.

Sounds kind of extreme doesn't it? Or not?

The real kicker is the lake is having problems with their dam and they have been mandated by the state to fix it. Since it's private the state nor the public lake it runs into will help pay for the repairs.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 10:58 PM
Since it's private I say let them fix their own dam problems. \:D
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
mike iaconelli does a fun show called "city limits" which many of you have probably seen. i think there was one in NY that included central park....IIRC he caught some nice bass out of there.

I hope he has a good attorney. New York fish have a reputation for being very litigious.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/26/09 11:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Since it's private I say let them fix their own dam problems. \:D

That's what a lot of people are saying. Some bald eagles mysteriously died in that lake and no one knows who killed them. Conjecture is someone on the lake knows. The running joke is even the bald eagles weren't allowed to fish.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 01:15 AM
I don't see any problem with the central park regulations, comeon guys, fish are people too.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 01:37 AM
No, No, they are fish kittens now remember?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 01:51 AM
Here's what some ice anglers think of PETA:

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 01:53 AM
thanks for evening laugh cecil.....very funny picture that i am going to steal and use somewhere sometime \:\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 02:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
thanks for evening laugh cecil.....very funny picture that i am going to steal and use somewhere sometime \:\)

Hey go for it. I stole it too!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 06:48 PM
Now that is one funny pic... And what a day ice fishing to boot!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/27/09 07:07 PM
PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals
Posted By: squeeky Re: Fishing in NYC Central Park - 01/28/09 12:09 AM
A snippet from the column reads :
When : Daily from 6:00 am to 1:00 am when the Park is open......
Are they serious - A person would have to have a death wish to be in a big city park at 1:00 am, irregardless of the fishing possibilities.
© Pond Boss Forum