Pond Boss
Posted By: portable ladder Natural Springs - can you plug them? - 01/22/09 02:36 PM
I've got a 1 acre marsh we put on our property through the NRCS. Last year after the marsh had been full for about 3 months, it all of a sudden started leaking (water is about 2.5 feet deep) The leak ran to nearly 1 inch water loss every other day, and it leaked faster the higher the water depth of the marsh (pressure). I noticed a wet area with water coming out of the ground (slow trickle) about 20 feet below the levee. We thought craw-fish may have worked their way through the levee and gave the water a route through the ground, so we came in a and dug a trench through the entire levee adding bentonite.

Now the water level in the marsh is coming back up, but I believe it is slowly leaking again. The leak is much slower, but I believe the water may be seeping through the bottom into this natural spring nearby. For instance, there has been standing water on the spring and it seems to be the last to freeze, warmer ground water? My question is - is there any way to slow or stop "plug" the spring? Dig it out..add mroe dirt, push dirt over it...throw in bentonite? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Posted By: Blaine Re: Natural Springs - can you plug them? - 01/23/09 01:58 PM
bump.

Or even routing?
Posted By: bobad Re: Natural Springs - can you plug them? - 01/23/09 02:23 PM
If the water is really from a spring, plugging it will most likely make it eventually force its way to the surface somewhere else . You may get lucky, so if it's not a lot of work, it may be worth a try.
Posted By: rexcramer Re: Natural Springs - can you plug them? - 01/24/09 01:36 AM
I didnt think 2.5 feet of water would be enough pressure to turn a spring into a leak. It would have to be a very weak spring. Sounds like you just have a plain old leak to me
© Pond Boss Forum