Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob Lusk 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/10/09 07:31 PM
Okay Pond Boss faithful...we have heard your thoughts. New Orleans is out, for now.
The bottom line is this...we cannot make the dollars work in New Orleans. They need a much larger financial committment than we are willing to make.

We took your recommendation and took a look at Big Cedar Lodge. Now, I am proud to announce the 2009 Pond Boss conference has been confirmed for September 18 & 19, at Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock Lake, 10 miles from Branson, Missouri.

As the conference comes together, we'll keep you posted right here. In the meantime, take a look at http://www.bigcedar.com

We have blocked 100 rooms (that must be filled, or we have to pay for them out of pocket!) In the next weeks, we'll announce the details of the rooms and provide registration details. Here's the deal...we'll sign a contract with them, either next week or the following. When that happens, you will need to register early and book your room asap.

Next, we are working on the agenda and will publish it as soon as it is ready. The Pond Boss staff is currently working with Big Cedar to iron out the details of all the services which will be available. When we get that done, we'll create a conference page on this website which will detail everything we plan to provide for you. It will be an exciting and fun time.
YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Will we by chance get the winter rates???
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/10/09 07:45 PM
WOW: I am elated. I've been PMing Bob on another matter lately and he promised something was coming that would be exciting. This exceeds what I could have dreamed up. Not only was I going to have to miss 2010 in New Orleans because of a conflict, but this location is as perfect as I could ever expect.

I think Bob went out of his way to listen to feedback on New Orleans and be flexible enough to change to serve the desires of many who expressed doubts about New Orleans. We owe it to Pond Boss to support this conference in any way possible.

I'll be there and I will register a room as soon as they are available.

Bing

That is fantastic news. Much better than New Orleans. Much better than January. And it sure beats Dallas in July. I don't think you'll have any problem booking 100 rooms. We've already thought about booking an extra room for guests.

Thanks Bob
Awesome. This is so close to where I'm at in Indiana--I can even do this one and really, really want to go to one of Pond Boss conferences! \:\)
Fantastic! Not only will I be there I will book a room as soon as needed.
Time to work on the agenda. If you have ideas post them now. Include anything you can think of - topics you want to hear about - side trips - auction items - anything else. We need everyone's help to get the word out to new attendees and participants.
Boy that sounds great, just have to get my wife to take time off, or I go alone.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 01:04 AM
For those of you who are not sure whether you want to attend the Pond Boss conference at Big Cedar Lodge please think about making the conference a vacation event for the family, or since school will already be in attendance, a get away for you and your spouse.

Big Cedar is a part of the Bass Pro Shops family of companies and is located just out side of Branson Mo. It is a fabulous resort with its own boat dock, guide service, boat rental, etc.

Branson is one of the nations top vacation locations and offers many features for all family members. I am an Illinois resident, but lived for many years in St. Louis, which is about 220 miles from Branson, and visited the Branson, Table Rock, Springfield Mo area hundreds of times. There were several years when I fished Table Rock 15 to 20 times a year.

Here are some of the features that you should consider to convince yourself or others to make the Pond Boss Conference a part of a must event in 2009.

The lodge itself has an excellent golf course and other courses are nearby. It is located in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri near the Arkansas border and offers beautiful, scenic views of Table Rock Lake and the Ozark Mountains.

Table Rock Lake, Beaver Lake, Lake Tannecomo, Truman Lake, Pomme de Terre, Stockton and Bull Shoals are all nearby and offer some of the best bass fishing in America, and, Lake Tannecomo offers excellent trout fishing. You can even fish for Trout off of a public dock in downtown Branson. Non-Resident fishing permits are less than $10.00 ($7.00 I think) per day;

Bass Pro Shops has a shop in Branson with an emphasis on trout fishing;

Bass Pro Shops world headquarters is located about 50 miles from Branson, in Springfield MO. If you are driving to the conference from the north or east, you pass within four miles of the store just off of Highway 65 and Interstate 44. This Bass Pro Shop is by far the largest shop in their chain, and the home to one of the finest outdoor museums in the country. I made a quick tour of the museum last year and left after four hours with only seeing about ¾ of it;

Branson is famous for live country music shows. Just Google Branson shows for a list, but it includes permanent theaters for Mickey Gilley, Jim Stafford, the Baldknobbers, The Presley Family and many others. Dick Clark’s American Bandstand theater, The Lawrence Welk Theater and others feature other styles of music. Groups and performers like The Oak Ridge Boys, Andy Williams, Mel Tillis, Pam Tillis, Fabian, The Coasters, Bobby Vee and countless others make frequent appearances in Branson’s theaters.

Silver Dollar City is a theme park that is consistently recognized as one of the most family oriented parks in America.

The School Of The Ozarks, just a few miles from the lodge has an outstanding Americana museum. It hosts a huge collection of firearms and also one of the best big game taxidermy anywhere. It even has the car the Beverly Hillbillies used to “move away from here to Beverly Hills.”

Tracker Boats are made locally and it is a great place to pick up a new boat and save shipping charges.

The area has several outlet malls, and dozens of craft and antique shops.

Bing
After Bing's glowing and informative review of the Big Cedar area are 100 rooms enough? I guess there are lots of other places to stay in the area. Sounds like a great idea - I hope to see and meet you there!
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 01:45 AM
Bill: Thanks for the glowing review of the glowing review. There are thousands of other motel rooms, but I think we owe it to Bob to stay at Big Cedar if at all possible.

I forgot to mention the fall colors of the magnificant hardwood forests that should be in full color at that time of year.

Bing
decent aerial view on google maps
The main lodge appears to be at the junction of Devil's Pool Rd and Stone road.
How about a riverboat trip with dinner or something? A few on the water seminars would be cool too. I know I'll be bringing the fishing gear!
Branson is a great place. I have been there 3 or 4 times. I don't know how much extra time we will have but I will probably bring my boat so that I can fish on Table Rock or Taneycomo.

To Greg and Nate,

We may need to look into doing a teal hunt one day.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 02:07 AM
Cecil:

How does this look?

http://showboatbransonbelle.com/

Bing
Crap \:\( Gail and I were fired up for New Orleans.

The Bremer Brothers fishing trip at Birch Lake, MN is set and deposits paid for: Saturday, September 12, 2009 Saturday, September 19, 2009.

Why, am I never consulted?
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 03:52 AM
That is some real good news!!!!
Gonna be a fun trip! Chris, I am going to have to pass on the hunting and focus on the water. Definitely bring your boat!
Guys, we only blocked 100 rooms...there are more than that, but we didn't block them.
Bing nailed the offerings around Branson. As the conference comes together, we'll have some great opportunities. We are planning to have some "hands-on" stuff on the water. It is Sue Cruz's idea...one which we will definitely do.
Dwight, so sorry. I'm grieved over the deposits. Can you get one of them back?
Let's go have some great times together. Part of our intent is to schedule plenty of time before and after the conference for everyone to be able to participate in the activities around the area. Also, the program will be more relaxed (as far as time goes) than the first two. We will have some intense time together with speakers, etc, but we will definitely schedule plenty of "social time" where we can congregate in small groups and just talk and brainstorm. That seemed to be important for everyone last time.
It's great to see the enthusiasm.
Yessss!!!! Home sweet home. You southern boys will be happy to know that Stockton Lake boasts an excellent walleye population and Pomme de Terre will challenge your angling abilities should you want to target the Toothy One- that's right- Musky. Of course, this should occur either prior to or after the conference. What a great location with many opportunities for those traveling out of state wishing to make a week out of it.
Depending on my class schedule I am going to try and get up there as early as possible. I would like to get up there Thursday morning and fish all day.

When I fished on Taneycomo we drifted worms with powerbait eggs. That worked pretty good. The last time I was up there I used small rapala's and caught a few. Mostly Rainbows with the occasional Brown. The upper end of Taneycomo is a trophy area and is good for flyfihing.I haven't fished on Table Rock so I don't know what works good there.
I want to go - BUT - my wife thinks I'm crazy and my Doc doesn't know about it yet, and I don't want to impose on Dave D. and Eric to have to "baby-sit", and I can't fish big water anymore, and not flled with self pity - dang it's tuff to get OLD......

How many planning to attend from DFW MetroMess?
Wive's attending?
Carpool?

Plenty of time to think about it but sure would hate to miss out on all the fun.....
george
I am absolutely positive if your Doc gives the thumbs up we can ALL SHARE time assisting with any needs you may have. Count my son, and I in on this. We will probably fly in but once there it would be an honor and pleasure to spend time with you.
al
and I'll sign for my son david also!
George, you can ride with me. I'll be driving the manly Dodge and there's nothing I would love more than hanging out with you, in a truck, listening and learning and sharing stories. I'll probably go up a couple of days early and head home either on Sunday or Monday afterward. And, it's no more than a 6 hour drive from here.
 Originally Posted By: Bing
Cecil:

How does this look?

http://showboatbransonbelle.com/

Bing

That sounds like fun if we got a bunch of people together on it.
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
Yessss!!!! Home sweet home. You southern boys will be happy to know that Stockton Lake boasts an excellent walleye population and Pomme de Terre will challenge your angling abilities should you want to target the Toothy One- that's right- Musky. Of course, this should occur either prior to or after the conference. What a great location with many opportunities for those traveling out of state wishing to make a week out of it.

How about big panfish like bluegills and crappies? I don't know about the others but I just love catching big ones on light spinning gear. I also like fishing at night for crappies. If most people overlook the panfish that's fine with me.

Bruce?
Guys keep the ideas coming - what do you want to hear about (topics). Other than rooms when available lets see what Bob plans before we setup any events. I know he will have some outside the box plans.

George I will be driving and you can hang out with us at the booth. Start thinking about a Pond Boss III Big Cedar fly.
Well, great news!

I suppose the wife might finally get to meet you all.

I don't know if that's good or bad for her.

Heck, might have to bring the kids too.
This would be a great family event location and a good way to introduce them to people from other areas and backgrounds safely.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 03:07 PM
I bet everyone's wife will want to attend this conference, if your wife isn't convinced have her try this site:

http://www.bransonlanding.com/current_leases.html
We will be less than 2 hours from World Record producing trout waters below Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes as well!
One event the conferance should try to book as an "after-event" is the Passion Play.
You can count on a room for JHAP & JWHAP. I have already marked this in my calendar. We will definately be going. As soon as you give us the info I'll make reservations. Dang that place looks beautiful!

We'll fly in Wednesday or Thursday (most likely Wednesday) and fly out probably Monday.

Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Let's go have some great times together. Part of our intent is to schedule plenty of time before and after the conference for everyone to be able to participate in the activities around the area. Also, the program will be more relaxed (as far as time goes) than the first two.

icantwaiticantwaiticantwaiticantwait. Just remember, What happens in Missouri stays in Missouri. Well unless of course I get a photo of it. Then it'll be plastered all over the pond boss website.

We will have some intense time together with speakers, etc, but we will definitely schedule plenty of "social time" where we can congregate in small groups and just talk and brainstorm. That seemed to be important for everyone last time.

That format worked great last year. Speakers/mini seminars plus the informal time. I really enjoyed the both the brainstorming sessions and the seminars.

It's great to see the enthusiasm.

Are we there yet?

I live about 5 minutes from Lambert-St. Louis Airport and will be happy to provide transportation and if you're driving in from the east you have a place for a rest stop for anyone that wants it.

Also, if anyone wants/needs to bring small children, My 15 &16 year old daughters will be thrilled to babysit.
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I suppose the wife might finally get to meet you all.

I don't know if that's good or bad for her.

She already puts up with you - how bad could the rest of us be?

On second thought, you might want to steer her clear of JHAP, FMcB, Brettski, myself, ...
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
We will be less than 2 hours from World Record producing trout waters below Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes as well!

I got the ok from the wife, we'll be driving out, as we have relatives, and friends on the way out and back.(1247 miles)
Those trout waters sound good, I wonder if I can fit a cold water recirculating system in the back of a Ford Focus!! \:D
AP no problem! Dry ice is sold like water around the trout areas.
The location comes as welcome news to this Nebraskan! I would like to suggest a topic that was discussed for last year's conference I sadly missed: Fly tying for the pondmeister. If it wasn't covered last year I would definitely benefit from such a presentation.

I would also like to know how to determine the age and growth rates of a fish using scales [counting the rings] if it's not common knowledge to everyone already. Seems an important skill for pondmeisters to master.

Just my two cents - see you in 8 months!
I am so EXCITED!! I have been dying to go to this location for a meeting/convetion for years! I can't think of a better group than the Pond Boss to share it with!!! Thank you Bob! I have no doubt this will be the best convention ever! I also have no doubt that we will easily fill 100+ rooms! I will be telling every one I talk to about this meeting. The location will be ideal to actually get outside and learn "hands on" different management practices. Thank you again Bob!!
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

icantwaiticantwaiticantwaiticantwait. Just remember, What happens in Missouri stays in Missouri. Well unless of course I get a photo of it. Then it'll be plastered all over the pond boss website.

Jeff, Just remember to stay away from the banjo players in the Ozarks!

Jeff, Just remember to stay away from the banjo players in the Ozarks!

Just wear a green sunfish around your neck and they won't bother you.
My guess is we will have some hands on stuff like flies . Maybe we can get Dave or his students to do some aging (scales , fins otolith etc) as a hands on topic. That would be neat. We have some very good slides on that in the mods slide show. I think we will also have more on the cool/cold water fish species in addition to the usual bass and BG.

BUT WE NEED TO HEAR WHAT YOU GUYS ARE INTERESTED IN - and SOON as the planning has started.
I'd like to see info on cool & cold water species, and problems associated with winter kill. Mark Cornwell, Mike Mitchell,and Dave Willis have written excellent articles dealing with northern ponds.
Thats my wish list.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 11:21 PM
The advantages, disadvantages and how-to of Winter Drawdown.

Bing
I have a topic I think Bruce Condello and others may be willing to provide research for: Using Tilapia in Northern Waters. I never [and probably most Northern pondmeisters] considered them as forage as they aren't cold water tolerant - but changing one's views somewhat as establishing them as a resident species is what was key for me. IMO - a small, annual Springtime investment to restock Tilapia in order to keep algae growth down, waters clear, and providing a great forage base enabling my BG and YP to remain less on the SMB, LMB and HSB menu list is worth it. I like the fact they will spawn several times during the Summer, and that when waters cool they become lethargic and provide a great final feast for everything headed into winter.

Pondboss mag article covered a lot of this including the fact that predator species AND BG growth rates improved significantly with Tilapia stocking - which are big benefits in my mind. Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?

TJ
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/11/09 11:35 PM
teehjaeh57 Great topic, just somehow wish some beauracrats from Illinois and other no-talapia Northern states would come and see how banning them is so backward.

Bing
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have a topic I think Bruce Condello and others may be willing to provide research for: Using Tilapia in Northern Waters. I never [and probably most Northern pondmeisters] considered them as forage as they aren't cold water tolerant - but changing one's views somewhat as establishing them as a resident species is what was key for me. IMO - a small, annual Springtime investment to restock Tilapia in order to keep algae growth down, waters clear, and providing a great forage base enabling my BG and YP to remain less on the SMB, LMB and HSB menu list is worth it. I like the fact they will spawn several times during the Summer, and that when waters cool they become lethargic and provide a great final feast for everything headed into winter.

Pondboss mag article covered a lot of this including the fact that predator species AND BG growth rates improved significantly with Tilapia stocking - which are big benefits in my mind. Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?

TJ

Specifically, I'd like to know what date to stock depending on how far north you are, and what size to stock, and if you can still expect multiple spawns. It gets plenty hot up here in Nebraska.

Yes...great topic.
 Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
george
I am absolutely positive if your Doc gives the thumbs up we can ALL SHARE time assisting with any needs you may have. Count my son, and I in on this. We will probably fly in but once there it would be an honor and pleasure to spend time with you.
al
and I'll sign for my son david also!

Thanks much Guys ……

George, you can ride with me. I'll be driving the manly Dodge and there's nothing I would love more than hanging out with you, in a truck, listening and learning and sharing stories. I'll probably go up a couple of days early and head home either on Sunday or Monday afterward. And, it's no more than a 6 hour drive from here.

Many thanks for the invitation to hitch a ride to the upcoming conference - much appreciated.
Lots of time and lots of fun for planning.
Bing;

Does this cover ALL Tilapia species? I know someone who stocked Blue and Nile - would those species slip 'neath the radar, or is the ban not that specific?

I can't understand how a fish that finds water temps below 54 degrees lethal being illegal to stock. Zebra mussels, Snakeheads, et al I understand - but the beauty of TP IMO is they are self regulating!

I hate to be always be the bandit...but could one employ the triple S proceedure: Stock, Shush, and Smile?

teehjaeh57 Great topic, just somehow wish some beauracrats from Illinois and other no-talapia Northern states would come and see how banning them is so backward.

Bing

Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/12/09 12:52 AM
I'm afraid I'm not the guy to answer questions about this fish. I think Rainman raised a different type of tilapia, perhaps they were "blue". I had a very, very brief telephone conversation with an Illinois Conservation agent who told me in no uncertain terms that if I stocked them and the state found out they would either drain my pond or poison all of the fish. Since that time I have not openly considered stocking them. Interesting alternative SSS theory tho. The reason the conversation was so brief was because I don't think he reacted too well when I called the Illinois policy backward, stupid, uneducated, or something slightly less flattering.

Bing
If the state found out...grrrrr - what a statement! Seems the IL Gov'ment have some more pressing matters to which to attend [impeachment]?
Sigh
I understand its a good/necessary law intended to protect watersheds from invasive species...but when its applied to a species of fish the Gov folks apparently haven't ever researched it gets me going. Not like you're stocking white perch!

SSS!
Bing I had that same conversation down here with the same results.
Great choice of location Bob. I am looking forward to attending. Since I am now retired if you need any help with anything please let me know. Gary Condo, Sulphur Springs, TX
I got dead silence from my frau when I asked her about the meeting, but after mentioning Branson etc believe it's a go. Hope to see you all there ..du
I think this is GREAT! Count on me & I'll be booking a room when they become available. Looking forward to seeing everyone, again as well as making new friends.

See Me There,
Mongo
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/12/09 02:52 AM
I bet ya we could get Shawn to bring by an electrofishing boat for those who havent seen one in real life. Might be a good prop for a presentation?
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/12/09 02:53 AM
Holy Moly, this topic suckered Mongo into posting!
George, we can all get together and let you take care of us. Come on along.
I'm afraid I'm not the guy to answer questions about this fish. I think Rainman raised a different type of tilapia, perhaps they were "blue". I had a very, very brief telephone conversation with an Illinois Conservation agent who told me in no uncertain terms that if I stocked them and the state found out they would either drain my pond or poison all of the fish. Since that time I have not openly considered stocking them. Interesting alternative SSS theory tho. The reason the conversation was so brief was because I don't think he reacted too well when I called the Illinois policy backward, stupid, uneducated, or something slightly less flattering.

Bing

The tilapia I raise are indeed Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis Aureas, T Aurea). Maybe your IL agent also takes calls for MO. I gave almost the same comments to the agent I spoke with. The first two people I spoke with about tilapia said they didn't care if I stocked them but they were obviously very low on the food chain. The story Mo gives on refusing stocking is fear of the T surviving winters in the 60 degree springs of the state. Kinda stupid since no reproduction or growth could occur IF they survived and they would be WAY to slow to avoid predation.

I would be happy to supply some T for demonstrations. Perhaps an unfiltered water tank with happy fish and 8ppm ammonia would demonstrate hardiness????LOL
AWESOME! I'm in! Branson is just a short drive away for me. I couldn't do New Orleans, so this is GREAT news for me. Sorry for others who were excited for N.O., but I think this is an excellent compromise, and I'll book a room the second they become available.

Big Cedar Lodge is a great venue! I'll probably bring a boat along for some fishing on Table Rock too.

Silver Dollar City will be a must visit also. I have fond memories of that place as a child, and I go there every time we are in the Branson area. Bass Pro HQ is another must visit. Love the place.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Also. For those interested, another fun place to check out while there is the Shepherd of the Hills Trout Hatchery.

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/hatchery/shepherd/

It's an impressive setup and free to visit and tour. I've gone several times and really enjoyed it.
Posted By: DJT Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/12/09 04:03 AM
Great news! I hope a midwest conference is a hit. The wife went to Branson this summer with some friends and she loved the malls. This location would give her something to do during the seminars. I mentioned it to her and her said "Fine I can shop". I will put in for vacation days tomorrow.
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Crap \:\( Gail and I were fired up for New Orleans.

The Bremer Brothers fishing trip at Birch Lake, MN is set and deposits paid for: Saturday, September 12, 2009 Saturday, September 19, 2009.

Why, am I never consulted?

I'm sorry you won't be there Dwight. I was hoping to show you what a real 10 pound bass looks like. \:D

Seriously I was hoping to meet you in person.
How about something on duck ponds.
 Originally Posted By: Cecil
I'm sorry you won't be there Dwight. I was hoping to show you what a real 10 pound bass looks like. \:D

in the words of Sunil...harsh
Brutal.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/12/09 03:49 PM
Other sights to see in Branson:

Bill Medley:

http://billmedley.com/moon_river.htm

One of the finest collections of restored 1957 cars in the world, the Patch Collection:

http://www.dickclarksabbranson.com/coolcars.cfm

Bing
I would like to sit in on a seminar that puts into redneck layman terms how to understand a water quality analysis. Like what the numbers mean and represent along with how to properly correct problems for the long term.
I would like to sit in on a seminar that puts into redneck layman terms how to understand a water quality analysis. Like what the numbers mean and represent along with how to properly correct problems for the long term.

A big plus one on that topic Rainman. Also part of the seminar should be types of reasonably priced testing equipment. What to buy, how to use it, etc.
Also part of the seminar should be types of reasonably priced testing equipment. What to buy, how to use it, etc.

and how reliable & accurate they are. I'm thinking O2 meters and stuff that could be used for DIY water testing for hardness, alkalinity, etc.
 Originally Posted By: Pondrookie
Great choice of location Bob. I am looking forward to attending. Since I am now retired if you need any help with anything please let me know. Gary Condo, Sulphur Springs, TX
Gary, don't want to hi-jack the 2009 PB Conference thread, but we sure would like for you to join us for Regional PB meeeting this coming Saturday at Chris and Frank's ponds just north of Paris.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=143504#Post143504
Need something on HOW TO CATCH YOUR FISH!!

Including tips for catching all applicable fish species: artificial lures, live bait, dead bait, flies, alternative harvest methodology, gear, etc.

Also something on HOW TO PREPARE YOUR FISH!!!

Including species-specific recipes, cooking-gear, and possibly some samples cooked up at the conference.

We need to get folks fired up about fishing/catching/eating/restocking.......
Great idea!! Kind of an A to Z type meeting - we could start out with selecting a site - constructing pond, pond accessories like docks, feeders, lights, cabins,etc.. then initial stocking, water quality management and testing, population sampling through shocking, seining, and fishing, algae & weed ID and control, enjoying your pond, all aspects of fishing like Todd mentioned followed by cooking - we could end the meeting that Sat. night with a cook off - if possible...
Another possible topic, how to build a reasonably priced RAS., pumps,filters etc.

You know your a redneck when you use your wife's earings as fishing lures! \:D
Some possible topics:
1) Feral hog problems & control--same for beavers

2) Pond fishing--Have a rep from Bass Pro put this on--great way to showcase their product

3) Wildlife exemptions vs ag exemptions

4) Nursery pond for bass food and fun

5) Deer surveys with game cameras

6) Taxidermy -- general knowledge--how to prepare and keep fish--how to cape deer

7) Water weed identification -- have samples of 5 most common weeds in nothern and southern ponds--weed identification info & weed control

8) Food plots
Great ideas, everyone. Toss them out now, because I'll start working on the program tomorrow, here at Big Cedar Lodge! Yes, that's right...Debbie and I are in Missouri, in Cabin 565, overlooking Table Rock Lake. We were invited yesterday, dropped what we were doing and headed to the Ozarks. The staff here is having and introductory event for potential conferences to tour the brand new convention facility. We're invited to a reception a 6 and dinner at 7:00 Will report back to you what we can do here.
Let me start with this...we won't need to leave this facility. While it is sprawling, it has too much stuff to do in two days, much less attend a conference.
Tomorrow, Debbie and I meet with Carla Springer and begin to flesh out a prospective schedule and a menu of events which can be done. I would strongly encourage each of you to budget a couple of days before the conference and a day or two afterward to take it all in.
Tomorrow, we will also be assigned an event coordinator who will work with Pond Boss staff and nail this thing down.
This will, no doubt, be an event of epic proportions (by Pond Boss standards).
I hope to be well into the program by the end of the week next week, so throw out all those suggestions. Moderators and other key Pond Boss players, I would like to begin some dialogue about "how" to put together the program. I plan to have good photos of the convention space tomorrow. And, just a stone's throw away is a nice pond where we can do some "hands-on" stuff, electrofishing, seining, water quality, aeration demonstrations, etc.
In the meantime, here's a few photos I just shot of our cabin. Enjoy.

The view off our cabin balcony...to the right, just out of sight, are the main lodges of Big Cedar.

I love to cook...great grill on the balcony. Guys like this kind of stuff, don't we?

This cabin is pretty large, nice, queen-size bed, rustic, yet First Class. Everyone would love a cabin like this, believe me. I've been lots of places and stayed in lots of different kinds of cabins. None any classier than this.

View from the bed, across the living room and kitchen.

Debbie's ready for a fire later tonight. Should be in the teens here tonight, maybe single digits.
Keep the program ideas coming! I want to go get the best of the best experts to speak on these topics.
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Another possible topic, how to build a reasonably priced RAS., pumps,filters etc.

You know your a redneck when you use your wife's earings as fishing lures! \:D

What if she uses your lures for ear rings????????????

I'd like to see an RAS.
If AES could bring in an RAS I'd be pleased, too.

I've never seen a real one in action. That would sure be a nice tool for pondmeisters.
During our brief time on the grounds today, we met up the facilities manager. He said they have 15-18 guides on staff and that it would be easy to set up a half-day fishing tournament. They have all the gear, know the lake, etc. $250 for one person, half day, add $100 for the second person.
We can have a tournament, maybe on the Thursday, and announce the winner(s) at the ice-breaker on Thursday night out by the pool.
Headed to the reception, will report back later.
Oh, that fishing tournament sounds like fun. In fact, let's make it 2-person teams.... AND I HAVE DIBS ON DR. CONDELLO!
Posted By: DJT Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/14/09 02:04 AM
Another vote here for a "how to" on backyard aquaculture with simple (read cheap) equipment.
Posted By: bbjr Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/14/09 02:57 AM
How about something involving aquaponics?
I think the venders should sponser different teams for the fishing tournament- Bruce and Dave would look great in "VERTEX" fishing shirts!! Venders could pay a little more than the fishing fee with the profits going to the scholarship fund.
\:\)
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Oh, that fishing tournament sounds like fun. In fact, let's make it 2-person teams.... AND I HAVE DIBS ON DR. CONDELLO!

Sorry Dr. Dave, I called shotgun w/Condello over a month ago! But you can pay the fee if you want!
Maybe PB should have a silent auction on certain people for fishing after the conference - Sunday... Bruce, Lusk, Ray Scott, etc.. the silent auction could be held during the conference.
Dang it, Rainman -- I missed that! Rats. Really thought I had first dibs.

Sue -- Vertex on one side and Pond Boss on the other? \:\)
Good Idea!
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/14/09 02:34 PM
WOW! Sue and Bob, I love the idea of a sponsored fishing tournament with the guides on staff!!!

Also think the silent auction fishing trip with Ray Scott and Bob Lusk is a GREAT idea too.

You should really reconsider Vertex sponsoring Condelowhoo? and that willis guy. I think Vertex would be much better off sponsoring the winning team of Herman/Cruz!
I'm not much interested in a fishing contest (probably because I've actually seen Condello, Nate, Aaron, Bing, Chris, Layton and several other pond boss members fish and I KNOW I'm not in their league) but I would really enjoy a leisurely day of fishing and beer consumption with some of my fellow pond meisters. Perhaps we could arrange some leisure fishing as well as a tournament.

Also we need plenty of "hang out" time and group dinners. The dinners don't have to be sponsored by Pond Boss. I'm not looking to run up a bill for Bob. The group dinners that we had last year were very much fun.

Keep all of this great conference stuff coming - I need something to get me through tax season.
Beer?

Oh Hi!!
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/

...and no wormy live bait allowed ...
For those of you that are on the fence about going to this conference I have one word for you.

GO!

You won't regret it. The PB Conference last year was well worth the money JWHAP and I spent on it. Meeting all of these great folks in person was truly an honor for me. This event is educational but equally as important it was fun, fun, fun. It was a highlight of our 2008 year. If you are going to budget for one vacation this year, I strongly urge you to consider making this your vacation. I'm quite sure you won't regret it. Although Ricki looked forward to going to the Pond Boss conference last year she wasn't as nearly as enthusiastic as me about going. Once we got there she kept saying that this was one of the most fun vacations that we'd had in years and she is very much looking forward to going to this conference.
whoa out of town for a few days and got back to 10 pages. Bob I was excited about NO but just if not more excited about this site. I will discuss with Wendy about possible family vacation.
Nate you beat me to it but my first thought was volunteering Shaun as well. Heck you might bring over your new boat. Bob we need to try and secure an electrofishing location for demos. You could have sessions for this so as many folks as possible get the chance to experience this with diff consultants out driving them around.
I can show you guys how I setup my flow thru aquaculture system. I second a topic of water quality seems there is quite a bit of misconceptions on this topic. Bob feel free to have me help as you see fit. Once I absorb this I will get back to PB.
One thought is this will be here before we know it. To get the attention of more pond owners in order to make this profitable there needs to be a flyer of speakers/topics, etc created. I can submit this to over clients. If only small % make it then this helps. All the fish stockers, clients, etc on this site need this document to get word out. Simply talking about it is good but a well made flyer is priceless for promotion. I want to see the PB family in a great setting but I want this grow with Bob’s vision and that cannot happen unless it shows a profit.
I like JHAP's idea of a laid back day of fishing cause I seem to spend more time snaggin trees and clearing birdsnests out of the reel than catchin fish. Just call me adirondack thumbs!
That's why my pond sampling usually includes traps. \:\/
Larry
P.S. Please don't have an electric shocking boat there, I would be tempted to mortgage the house to get one.
I think no matter what - laid back fishing, competitive or both, there should be beer!

Nate, I can't wait to see you in full fishing action!
No worries Adirondack Larry, I have a tree with so many lures in it that lately I've been telling people that I put them there on purpose - sort of like an out doors Christmas tree.

I'd like to see a shocking boat in action as well.

Sue, much like Bruce, Nate is a fishing machine. IIRC both Nate and Moderator Chris had fantastic fly fishing casts as well.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/14/09 03:55 PM
I'd like to see a lure swap. Bring five of your five best, or worst lures, etc. I am still fishing with a couple of wooden brown Bombers I swapped a Lowrance temperature gauge for.

I'd even like to watch JHAP try to get through airport security with a couple of spoons or a filleting knife.

Bing
 Originally Posted By: george1

What no live bait allowed?! \:o
I am so excited to see the change to Big Cedar! My husband and I will plan to be there! We missed not being able to go last year. My suggestion would be inviting someone from the Missouri DNR to speak about pond/fish issues/topics. They have a great department in Missouri - much better than Illinois, IMHO. How about a golf outing to a nearby course? Any golfers planning on attending?
A lot of conferences I attend have several different activities planned at the same time and people can choose to do what interests them most. There could be a golf tournament at the same time as the fishing tournament as well as some kind of shooting activity. It would be a good idea to schedule the activities the day before the actual "conference" starts up. I'm sure most will be showing up atleast a day early.
You guys are nuts trying to jockey for a slot with Condello as a fishing partner.

I'm taking Sue Cruz as my fishing partner (the bidding is closed now!).

What no live bait allowed?! \:o

I'm movin' you guys UP a notch - fly fishing only ....
You guys are nuts trying to jockey for a slot with Condello as a fishing partner.

LOL \:D \:D

I'll withdraw my shotgun call!

Unless I can fish w/dynamite, I'd ruin a guy's chance at winning. \:D \:D
Sunil, I'm not much of an angler - I hope to learn a lot next September though! I figure if I want in on the tournament I am best off to pay someone to be my partner, hense the "sponcer" idea!

Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
I think no matter what - laid back fishing, competitive or both, there should be beer!

Now, there's a partnership that makes perfect sense.
Sue - with all that knowledge and talent - not a good fisherman - no way !

If there's a calcutta, I'm buying Bruce.
I'd even like to watch JHAP try to get through airport security with a couple of spoons or a filleting knife.

Sheesh I have enough problems with airport security as it is. If I showed up with a fillet knife they'd probably shoot me on the spot.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm dying to hear how the rest of Bob and Debbie's day has gone!!
I agree Sue. I was a little concerned yet glad to see Debbie bending some in front of the fireplace. Glad she is doing so well after the surgery!
 Originally Posted By: claybird
Any golfers planning on attending?

I may be interested in playing a round.

I have played at most of the courses in Branson. I would recommend Branson Creek. It is a beautiful course. Top of the Rock is really close to the Lodge and is a Par 3 course.
I have a new suggestion (let me know if you think it's dumb).
How about something like a Pond Boss convention yearbook, everyone could have their picture taken so we would be able to remember which face goes to what name.(I realize some members might not want their picture taken cause it's already in the post office).
Also events and happenings at the convention. If Pond Boss put this together they could sell it to us later.
This would be extra work but attendees could submit photo's of activities to make it easier for someone to put this together.
What do you think?
A Pondboss facebook/yearbook is a good idea, but I don't want anyone to know who I am or what I look like.

But seriously, as Pondboss grows more and more, it's nice to continue to be able to put faces with screen names.
Here are some of my thoughts after seeing some of the others. The potential of this conference could be overwhelming because of the time of year, location, people behind its location, family environment & activities but mostly because of Pond Boss family enthusiasm. I believe the purpose of the conference is to entice new subscribers & increase the family, to get out messages of management & being better stewards of our land & resources. Yes, I know many of these important topics have been covered in past issues of Pond Boss, but for all the new subscribers, they have to be brought up to speed. Past conferences have achieved part of these goals. I see three goals - 1) A good mixture of basic management info; 2) After the stage is set & some of the management practices have been incorporated, give them more food for thought, bring it up a level or two; 3) And for those that have survived the first 2 levels & still want more - feed them all the indepth info. I like Greg Grimes idea, also, get flyers out. It does make a difference. Last conference, I personally invited five guests to come & attend. Only one family made the commitment & journey & were glad they did. This year there will be more! As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it, be it shooting sports, fishing tournament, or a "Sunil" toss.

See Ya,
Mongo
 Originally Posted By: Mongo
As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it...or a "Sunil" toss.

How politically incorrect can one guy be!
It's "Sunil bowling"
Mongo, don't make me come after you; I can be deadly from the fetal position.
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: Mongo
As far as the extra-circular activities, I'm all for it...or a "Sunil" toss.

How politically incorrect can one guy be!
It's "Sunil bowling"

Whether it's for Sunil tossing, Sunil bowling, or Sunil bashing, dibs on Mongo for my team!
"You just made the list" Theo. (taken from Francis in Stripes)
Well, yesterday was exciting, too. We met up for breakfast at the Worman House for a "conference" breakfast, as they call it. It was a buffet of eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit and pastries...and the food is excellent, prepared by chefs. It ain't no short order place, that Big Cedar Lodge. Every detail is attended to...that's Johnny Morris' way.
After breakfast, about two dozen folks (everyone there is looking to use Big Cedar for an event, conference, etc.) boarded two shuttle busses and headed out for a property tour.
The night before we toured the conference center--a classy, brand new facility.
But, next we took a look at the different lodge rooms and cabins. They have lots of choices. There are three lodges. Two are close to the conference center, just step out of the lodge and go less than 100 yards, about like Arlington, but a much, much nicer setting. We have asked them to block 100 rooms of different styles. But, when we sign the contract and you guys are ready to book rooms, you can book any available rooms or cabins they have. They also have four different places to eat, but what we've decided to do is give you choices. For the conference, we want our group to stay together, so I've asked Big Cedar to help us put together three meals a day. But, they've got several places to eat, as well as a bar.
After the property tour, Debbie and I sat down for two and a half hours with Carla Springer and Courtney Munday. Carla is our sales rep and Courtney will be our event/activities manager. We discussed a wide range of topics, from the agenda to wives to children's activities.
Here's what we roughed out.
Some folks want to arrive Wednesday. That's great. Book rooms as soon as we get the contract in order (within the next four days, we expect). There is a long list of activities from fishing to boating to golf to horseback riding to hiking to...we'll have a list from Courtney soon. We think most people will arrive Thursday, hence the idea to have a fishing tournament. But, there's plenty to do, for everyone...just look at the list and make reservations in advance for most of it. We'll get the list out as soon as we receive it.
Then, Thursday afternoon, we have booked one of their swimming pools and surrounding areas for an icebreaker (we need a sponsor for that). The icebreaker will be 6:30-8:30 pm. We will have a speakers dinner at 7:30 (anyone can sign up to hang out with the speakers, but space will be limited...first ones to sign up on the registration form can have dinner with the speakers, everyone else will be on your own at one of the restaurants).
Then, on Friday, breakfast from 7-8, trade opens at 8, first speaker at 9. Speakers from 9-10:30, coffee break, speakers from 10:45 to noon, walking-talking lunch in the trade show (included in registration fee) until 1:30, then speakers until 3. Then, head outside. There's a nice size pond where we can do electrofishing, set up some aeration systems and fountains, water chemistry lab, etc...good "hands-on" stuff until 5. Then, we have cool dinner planned on the lawn next to the conference center...cash bar at 6:30, then dinner at 7:30, then use the huge foyer for small group get togethers, etc. (Plus each lodge has nice foyers for small groups).
Then, Saturday, similar format with a banquet at the end of the day.
As soon as the contract is signed and we can put together a registration form, we'll get it on the website and in March-April issue of Pond Boss. But, I suggest you call and reserve your rooms as soon as they are available. The minute we finalize the contract, I'll post the room types and their costs and you can start calling in for reservations. Then, you can register for the conference.
There are tons of things to do. Debbie is working with Courtney on a spouse package. Big Cedar has a spa and all kinds of girlie stuff. Bring wives. They will even do a very cool culinary workshop and then the gals eat what they help make. Big Cedar also has a cool Kid's Club with organized activities for not much money. I think they said $25 per child for three hours of organized activities such as nature studies, tie-dying t-shirts, games and a snack. We'll find out the details about that, too.
We had lots to do in a short time, so we stayed focused on negotiating a contract and working out those details, first.
I'll tell you...this is a great destination for a vacation. Although, for the conference, we won't have much time to leave the property, there is so much to do, we won't be able to do it all. Some of you may want to plan a family vacation around this event. Branson is ten minutes away and that place is amazing. After we left Big Cedar, we just did a quick drive through. Although I've been to Branson a number of times, I still smile when I drive down the Hwy 76 strip.
We headed home at 3 pm yesterday and 6 hours and 15 minutes later, we were back in LL,2. 380 miles door to door for us. That's only 20 miles further than San Antonio.
Here are some photos for your review.

The Grandview Conference Center. Brand new, plenty large enough.

The big picture of the Grandview

Inside a small section of the ballroom

One type of conference set up in half of the ballroom

Lobby of the conference center

Big lobby of the conference center

The first place you go...to register for your room and pick up your Pond Boss packet.

Heading into Falls Lodge, close to the conference center.

The lobby of Falls Lodge

All kinds of cool stuff appoints the lodges

Typical room in Falls Lodge

Some of the rooms have remote-control gas fireplaces.

You'll see cool wood carvings all over the place.

Here's the view from your balcony at either of the two large lodges.

Look a little to the left and this is the view. The larger of the three ponds is the one they will let us survey and work on with the hands-on part of the conference.

Here's the pool for the first night ice-breaker.

A closer look at the pond where we will do the electrofishing and other watery hands-on stuff.

They have a 2500 square foot suite called the "Governor's Suite" It has 3 bedrooms, a loft with two double beds, a great room and two balconies. Great place for a hospitality room...I wanted to book it, but there were two things in the way...$1,400 per night and it was already booked.

Here's a typical double in the Valley View Lodge, right next to the conference center. This is where we blocked the most rooms.

More details as we get them.

Fish on!
This is gonna be sweet!!!!

Centrally located, any amenity desired, just don't get any better!

FWIW, if I can regain access to my porerty in time, I'll plant several acres of sunflowers to provide for some dove hunting for anyone wishing it.
Posted By: bbjr Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/15/09 04:28 PM
I just wanted to echo everyone's thoughts on how great this place looks for a conference. I'm very happy that it is centrally located. It allows me and the family to go, since it is within a reasonable driving distance... something we couldn't do for a Texas or New Orleans location. Flying would be too cost prohibitive for the family. Anyways, just wanted to give a thumbs up, and say that my wife is as excited about going as I am, so I plan on seeing you all there.
All the spouses are really going to miss the "locked-door" van tour of Retention Ponds in the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

It was a smash hit.
This conference should be the best so far. Maybe a silent auction for who gets to fish with Condello, Nate and George or R.Scott?. Can Scott fish as good as or better than he talks?
Is anyone else struck by the similarity to LL2?

All the spouses are really going to miss the "locked-door" van tour of Retention Ponds in the Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

It was a smash hit.

Maybe we could get Howard to come up to Missouri for old time's sake.

If he started driving now, he might find his way there by September.
Hey guys, I have retired from fly tyin’ demos for this years conference, but Eric West has given me permission to hang out at the moderator’s booth, on an “emeritus” basis.
I have given Brandon Powers a heads up on the conference and hope he will be able to make it and “carry the torch”.
Brandon is one to the very best fly tyers and fly casting instructors in the country, as well a TAMU graduate fisheries biologist.

Lusk has asked for ideas for discussion, so here’s a couple that have crossed my mind:
Realizing there is an “overlap” between hard core biology and practical stuff, I would like to suggest separate sessions for the “scientists’ and the every day pondmeister that faces, or will face real problems.
Having gone through a recent difficult fish kill and a fun re-stocking program, I would like to see these topics discussed.

Also, living with and maintaining a nutrient rich pond, and possible bacterial controls.
Thanks,
George
Hey guys, my wife Susie wanted to post! I guess we need to call this something like Dave's wife doesn't have a pond (DWDHAP) following JHAP's lead?? \:\) Anyway, here it is.

Wow, I've never seen such excitment about a conference!! These postings alone are enough to make me want to go! Actually, I have attended the last two and I must say, it's been a great experience, and this one truly sounds like a vacation!

Are there any kayakers (I'm a novice) out there that would have any interest in a 1/2 day guided river trip? Or, just cruising the lake?

~Susie
DWDHAP (that looks too much like DIED&JHAP are siamese twins now) Branson is in or very close to the Ozark National Scenic Riverways areas that are federally maintained and absolutely breathtaking!
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Hey guys, my wife Susie wanted to post! I guess we need to call this something like Dave's wife doesn't have a pond (DWDHAP) following JHAP's lead?? \:\) Anyway, here it is.

Wow, I've never seen such excitment about a conference!! These postings alone are enough to make me want to go! Actually, I have attended the last two and I must say, it's been a great experience, and this one truly sounds like a vacation!

Are there any kayakers (I'm a novice) out there that would have any interest in a 1/2 day guided river trip? Or, just cruising the lake?

~Susie

Hi Susie; glad to see you posting
Has Dave decided if he is going to introduce us individually, in categorized groups, or as a whole.
DWDHAP (that looks too much like DIED&JHAP are siamese twins now)

I thought they WERE Siamese twins (joined at the Green Sunfish).
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

That's why you're the Mod-Man! Right again, my bad!
Hi Susie ! Tell Dave to let you back on the forum. Glad you are joining in. There are some nice rivers as noted. Table Rock Lake has some wonderful areas to canoe. Ruth likes to canoe and can handle a pirogue but has no experience with kayaks. The water there can be cold but nothing like SD cold (-25). BC is a great location with tons to offer and an exceptional opportunity for PB.
A younger Bski's folks had a place on Bull Shoals Lake (the big one south and east of Table Rock \:\) )
We would always try to sign for a Buffalo River canoe trip at least once every couple of years. It was an awesome run. That might be a bit too far away, tho, I fear.
DWDHAP (that looks too much like DIED&JHAP are siamese twins now) Branson is in or very close to the Ozark National Scenic Riverways areas that are federally maintained and absolutely breathtaking!

I float those rivers every year. Great views... though sometimes they also come in a topless form. Make sure you research the area before you take the family. Some stretches are insane college-aged party hangouts. Nakedness abounds (Trust me, I may have hundreds of pictures... but I will neither confirm or deny that... hehe). Other spots are quite relaxing and offer some family friendly floating and even excellent trout and smallmouth fishing. I ran into ex-MLB player Mike Macfarlane and his son while on a trip a few years ago. Nice guy. Unfortunately (depending on who you asked I suppose), when we rounded a bend in the stream, we all got quite a show from about half a dozen naked party goers.
An idea for discussion would be for guys like me that don't know how to post pictures on the pond boss site. I have several pictures of my pond that I'd like to share but can't even follow the advice of the threads that show me how. My wife is a little more computer savy and she could'nt post them. Maybe a class on posting pics, what do you think?

Just mentioning this idea makes me feel like the kid in class that hates to raise his hand in fear of every one knowing how dumb he is. Mikel in West Tennessee. 208.4 miles from Big Cedar Lodge
Mikel, good idea, I had to have my son show me how to do it, but after he showed me it was simple. A short course would probably help alot of us.
I echo Mike's idea. It would be nice to be educated by some of the "techies" on this site about how to post photos and better use the features on this site. I used to go through every single topic header looking for recent posts....but then 2 years ago Grimes told me about dropping the menu tab down and clicking on past "24 hours". I admit it, I'm a little special when it comes to internet forums and deciphering all of the acronyms.

Weissguy, please quit taking pictures of me when I'm playing in the river!

I float those rivers every year. Great views... though sometimes they also come in a topless form.

Weissguy, I'm surprised you even knew there were fish in the river. \:o
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
Weissguy, please quit taking pictures of me when I'm playing in the river!

Shawn - I was not aware you were a buxom young college girl! At any rate, it's always nice to put a face to a name. hahaha

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Weissguy, I'm surprised you even knew there were fish in the river. \:o

There was a river?
Thanks for all the info! I'm researching the river EE to Flat Creek Road. It looks like about a 4 hour trip. A steady gradient flow with some walkouts where needed? Is anyone familiar with that stretch? Oh, and I was thinking more "nature" verses "a la naturale"... \:\)

Eric, tell Ruth we can surely paddle the lake! And if anyone likes to paddle, let me know.

~Susie (ISTHATALPHABITSOUP?)

We headed home at 3 pm yesterday and 6 hours and 15 minutes later, we were back in LL,2. 380 miles door to door for us. That's only 20 miles further than San Antonio.

Yup, God bless the big 'ol state of Texas!
Girlie stuff!!!!! Sorry, but this "girl" is all about ponds...
 Originally Posted By: claybird
Girlie stuff!!!!! Sorry, but this "girl" is all about ponds...

Ruh Roh!
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I don't see anything wrong with that.
This is going to be such a great trip. I think the real problem will be that there will be so much to do that we won't have time to do all that we want.

George that would be great if Brandon Powers could come. He is such a good guy. He taught JWHAP, Fatty McButterpants and I how to double haul last year. Very patient and very nice guy. I'm really looking forward to seeing you again too George.

It's gonna be a great conference! I can't stop thinking about it.
Brandon was a whiz with that flyrod. Heck he even had ME casting like I was a yankee river fisherman!!

Here is a pic of me showing off my new casting technique~~

Wife is in and you guys will get to meet "baby" Wyatt. Rainman might take you up on daughters babysitting offer. Bob glad to see you have a pond for shocking and water quality analysis. IN your marketing material hope you have a logo with link. I can stick it on my website so they can click and get info abotu the conference. I hope to have time to catch my first yankee fish eitehr a smb or walleye
That's great Greg - you're going to bring your little fish feeder! I am planning on bringing my kids, too. Can't wait to meet Wyatt and your wife! A link is a good idea!
I think me and my girlfriend are in. We haven't had a vacation in four years so it would be nice to get away. Hopefully she can find something to do since she really isn't that interested in ponds and fish.
I hope to make the conference. Having a fiance that has more fisheries degrees than me (I have a bachelors degree from ISU and she has a bachelors from TAMUG and will soon have a masters from Miss. State) should make convincing her to go pretty easy.

I saw a few people mentioned shooting and I have some experience in that area. North of Branson about 15 miles on US-65 is a place called Ozark Shooters. I competed in a few college level clay target competitions there (haven't been to the range in 2 years due to me having graduated). When I shot, they had Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, and 5-stand. They also had a rifle/pistol range that I never used. Nice facilities, even the path for the sporting clays is paved. And its open most days/times.
I would like to see a presentation on placing structure in ponds, both large and small. Those structures that could benefit both fish and other desirable pond creatures.
I will volunteer to compile the survey and give the presentation if people think it's a good idea:

How about providing a survey in the May/June issue that readers fill out about their fish feeding practices? A recent thread about how many times to feed really piqued my interest. Let's find out how many people are feeding, how many feeders per acre, how much feed thrown per feeding, how many times per day, why the type of feed is chosen, what brand/type of feed/feeder, species targetted, feed costs/lb levels of satisfaction, etc. I could compile the results and look at averages, ranges, etc and an open forum discussion could follow. We could find out what people are doing and hopefully learn what we could be doing better. It would take some time to properly draft the survey so that the right questions are asked and so that the data could be easily compiled and analyzed.

I think that it would be a great learning experience for all. Let's face it, some of the greatest, most meaningful, and unanalyzed data lies within each and every one of us.

We might even be able to persuade feed mfg's and/or feeder mfg's to purchase the results as a potential marketing tool with all proceeds going to the Jesse West Endowment Fund.
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/17/09 02:57 PM
Could be very interesting.......
There's a guy that has tons of information on bluegill and midwestern ponds at Iowa State. I'm sure he could put together something interesting in a power point presentation for us. His name is Professor Joe Morris. Super nice guy too.

http://www.nrem.iastate.edu/faculty/morris.php

I also think Dr. Wetzel at Lincoln University in Missouri who is working on producing consistently huge bluegills could also be interesting.

I know we don't want to get too academic but I think some academics in the mix would be nice for those of us that are looking for more than just the basics.
 Originally Posted By: heybud
I would like to see a presentation on placing structure in ponds, both large and small. Those structures that could benefit both fish and other desirable pond creatures.

Looks like Dr. Condello has some work to do.

Trouble is, I don't know if he would fix the teeth or make him have a Wr of 140.
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Wife is in and you guys will get to meet "baby" Wyatt. Rainman might take you up on daughters babysitting offer. Bob glad to see you have a pond for shocking and water quality analysis. IN your marketing material hope you have a logo with link. I can stick it on my website so they can click and get info abotu the conference. I hope to have time to catch my first yankee fish eitehr a smb or walleye

My girls are really stoked to be getting to go and will be happy to babysit for ya Greg!
Awsome, I can probably go to this one. My wife and I love Big Cedar Lodge. It realy is a beautiful place. I Just found out that it's going to be at Big Cedar so I'm pretty happy right now. Untill about 30 seconds ago I still thought it was going to be in New Orleans .
This event is gonna be spectular. I highly recommend that you go.
I'm with them on water quality and testing. I haven't bought testing equipment yet but I need to learn more about keeping the water right in the pond. Attracting the right water fowl probably be nice--still no duckies coming to my duck houses.

PS...As soon as rooms are available count us in. IPond Boss Conference 2009! Here we come.
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
PS...As soon as rooms are available count us in. IPond Boss Conference 2009! Here we come.

That's what we want to hear!
Perhaps Aquatic Eco Systems couldm provide testing equipment and even set up a "rental" program for it for Pond Boss Members.
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 01/25/09 11:03 PM
By the time the conference rolls around there will be a new airport in Branson, very close to the lodge, that should be in full force. They have announced plans for a direct flight from Atlanta and by then perhaps more. Otherwise the closest airport is Springfield-Branson which is about 50 miles.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/busines...26?OpenDocument

Bing
Thanks, Bing. I'll be taking that Atlanta flight - $198 RT, not bad...
Bing thanks so much for this info. Randy b/f this goes down let us know your flight and might go same one but we plan to go early or stay late for family vacation time.

Rainman we plan to have our pond mgmt kit avail to folks to use. I will of course let anyone who wants to use our water quality equipment.
I appreciate that Greg,. Don't know if I'll be able to get to my pond without GSA backup though.

Bob, any word on when the block of rooms are to become available?
WOW! I have been away from this website for a long time! I think I forgot my password or something. I a m impressed with so many new members and the quality of the post! Iam back and looking forward to keeping up from now on!
 Originally Posted By: Martin
WOW! I have been away from this website for a long time! I a m impressed with...the quality of the post!

Oh Martin, it has been a long time, hasn't it...
Bird season went out Sat, my thoughts turn to my frozen pond, and bam!! Pond Boss Conference in my backyard. Mr and Mrs. Gumboot will be there.

The Sonesta is great for a couple of days of adult frolick, but I think Big Cedar is much better venue for Pond Boss. Cograts to all, great idea.
I have a legitimate excuse for a party!

Theo should have made his 10,000th post and hopefully, his 100th meaningful post \:D \:D by conference time.
That timeline is off Dwight. T is at 9300+ and will make 10,000 by July 4. ;\) -
ewest, He is ignoring us or possibly planning some major counter offensive.
Wow, attending this conference would be a nice birthday present for me since you are having this at that time. Sounds super good to have other things nearby for those who aren't as passionate about the waterworld as others. We have relatives in the St. Louis area that we might like to see on the way as well. Wonder if that husband of mine would go for this?????
Tilapia in Northern Waters...article covered a lot of this...Is this something that would generate interest for anyone else besides myself?TJ

I'd love to hear more about this...I must have missed that article. When was this?
Registration has started.

http://www.pondboss.com/pdf/2009Pond_Boss_Conference.pdf
[quote=Chris Steelman]Registration has started.

WooHoo!
I hope everyone else enjoys it!
OMG, 18 pages! Obviously PB has hit a great home run on this venue.

I have been so busy with the sale of my company, meeting new distribution from Key West to Maine that I have not had any time to catch up with my PB Friends. I am so sorry!

How about an idea that is near and dear to me since I am a Marine Safety Officer with the US Coast Guard Auxillary,

"Boating Safety and quick life saving tips".

I promise to start checking the forum page at least once a day from now on...it took me 12 hours just to read all of the post under the past 7 days active topic tool!
Cary who? ;\)
You could have saved alot of valuable time by reading only the more important, well thought out, and pertinent posts by checking the user posts of Jeffhasapond, Brettski, and Tom G.
I just booked my room!! Is anyone going up early? I don't know how anyone traveling from far could make it on time for the fishing tournament unless they came up on Wed.
Okay Brettski, I deserve that "Cary Who" comment. On the road 4-5 days a week 12 hours a day I felt that I was missing out on something.

When I owned Aeration Technologies, I checked in on the forum page about every hour. Now in the car and meeting with distributors, I can't check in until each night at the hotel. Now I know what I was missing out on. I missed my friends here at Pond Boss.
Cary - I hope to see you this year at the PB convention in Branson.
Why aren't there more technical papers about aeration topics at the PB conventions? Matt Rayl? Everybodys sells and no one does any new research?
I don't think Bob has the actual speakers and topics nailed down yet ~
Cary,maybe you could get lassons from Dwight about driving with your knees while checking your laptop. \:D
Hey,whats up with the link?I tried it twice to register and all it does is lock up my puter,any ideas?
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
Hey,whats up with the link?I tried it twice to register and all it does is lock up my puter,any ideas?

Are you on dial-up? The brochure is a 1 MB PDF file, so it is possible that it is actually downloading, when you are thinking that your computer is hung up. Even with my DSL, it takes a little while to download.
So who is registered so far?
When are you coming down?
I'm definitely booking rooms for thursday night - saturday night.
I'd stay longer, but need to make sure of activities for Becky and our 3 yr old daughter Gracie who will fish but I don't think will sit through conferences.

I've been out of town and off of PB for a few weeks so this was great to come home to.
I am all for the change of location, it's close enough to drive and a fun place for the family.
It's really funny that Becky wanted to go to Branson years ago when we lived in S. IL and I said no way.
A friends family lived in Blue Eye on Table Rock and I'd driven through Branson a few times and swore I'd never go to that Vegas wanna be. Never say never I guess. Now I can't wait, is it September already.

The other
See you all there.

Matt Wehland
I'm going to make reservations as soon as I can but have other priorities right now.

After 15 years the dike in my big pond is leaking for one thing. \:\( It started after the highway department cam through and dug out the highway ditch at it's base. \:o
For technical research, I have great ideas that I would like to see but no takers on conductig the research. They don't want to deal with the time required to do the water sampling or data collection. I need to connect with a college and see if we can get some of these ideas as a senior thesus.
Posted By: JMAC Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 03/06/09 04:06 PM
Cary,

I am actively freeing up time to do some product research this summer. So far mostly bacteria/nutrient reducing products but aeration is on the list too. What are you thinking for research? I'd like to put something together if I can find test sites. Don't have much of a lab yet, but we're on our way...
Gail and I are planning to attend the conference! We just couldn't miss another one.

Now I have to go back to the beginning of this thread and see what I have missed (unless there is a synopsis available). Maybe if I write a macro to filter out all the JHAP posts it won't be so long! ( JHAP Jabaroni )
Great news Dwight! What happened with the great north fishing trip?

Is the stick coming also?
 Quote:
Great news Dwight! What happened with the great north fishing trip?
Is the stick coming also

The trip is re-arranged or sacrificed for the year, still talking it over. The stick is not too happy with me right now. \:\(
You could let your little brother tag along to make it up to him.
Or make him pay all of the expenses as pennace for his malfeasance (sp?)?

Quote:
I have great ideas that I would like to see but no takers on conducting the research.

Cary, Dave Willis has an effective technique for getting data gatherers to volunteer. Maybe he will chime in and explain the technique. He used it on me so I can verify it's effectiveness. \:\)
Gail and I are planning to attend the conference! We just couldn't miss another one.

Good deal Dwight! I look forward to meeting you!

What about Tan? You're not going to leave him home, are you??
Great news !!! Can't wait to see you guys there.
Dwight (Cary) -- I thought YOU talked ME into helping YOU? If I talked YOU into helping ME, then I'm better than I thought. \:\) Too bad, though, that I'm not more self-aware.

Glad to hear your schedule will let you make the September trip!!
 Quote:
I thought YOU talked ME into helping YOU? If I talked YOU into helping ME, then I'm better than I thought. Too bad, though, that I'm not more self-aware.

You called me a surrogate grad student and that went to my head. I am dillisional!
The brother's up Nort September fishing trip has been adjusted on the calendar so everything is cool on that front.

Now a new problem has cropped up. Since I will be fishing for four days prior to the conference my fishing prowess will be highly tuned; a powerful fishing machine. So then, in good faith, I cannot participate in the Thursday fishing tournament.

Realized you can't beat Condello, ehh? Welcome to the club.
It will be fun to watch and take notes.
JWHAP and I are debating as to whether or not to bring a fishing pole and reel. We don't have any collapsable poles, most of our poles are two piece and would be a pain to lug around an airport. I don't have any interest in participating in a fishing tournament (I've personally witnessed Condello, Nate, Chris and several others fish and I'm clearly not in their league). But we're thinking it might be fun to do some fishing while we're there. I'll have to think on this some more.
You could always ship some gear ahead of time. UPS Ground might be pretty cheap although you have to watch the dimensions. They gig you if the length is over some predetermined length even though it may be lightweight.

Or you could do some shopping with Popiel.
JHAP, remind me in September and I will bring some extra fishing gear for you and Ricki to use. Nothing fancy, but good enough to let you (and me) get outfished by Condello.
Thank you Theo I'll do that. Based upon what I've seen it wouldn't take much for Condello to out fish me - he would probably win a fishing tournament against me armed with a broken broom handle, a piece of yarn tied to it with a bottle cap for a lure. It's just hard to compete against the vibe he puts out, it even effects the fish.
Maybe if we cut his line about every 30 feet?
I would be interested in some competitive fishing but I'm not wasting my time fishing for green carp.
I'm registered! Sept 16 17 18 & 19 at Valley View Lodge.

Who wants to meet for breakfast Thursday morning?
I'm in - registered for the same dates. Maybe we can take a barge ride (pontoon boat) after breakfast.
I'm sneaking up on getting registered.
The Rains Clan will now be actively in attendance from Wednesday through Sunday. I am sure looking forward to meeting everyone!
Yahooo!!!!!!!1
The Rains Clan will now be actively in attendance from Wednesday through Sunday. I am sure looking forward to meeting everyone!

Are you bringing Uncle Claude? I never see him anymore.
That is Great, Great Uncle Claude, my Great great Grandfather's boy---never met him.

Guess I'm not a TOTAL Redneck--My Family Tree has at least a couple branches! \:D
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 04/17/09 08:58 PM
Rainman: Great news. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Bing
Dang,
I am on my anniversary vacation with my wife on the 19th.
 Originally Posted By: M Spinhirne
Dang,
I am on my anniversary vacation with my wife on the 19th.

Where better to vacation than Branson and a very nice lodge???????
A gentle reminder for everyone. We have until July 17 to get registered for Pond Boss III for the early bird prices. After that day, the prices go up.

OK, OK, I guess that I'm cheap enough to pay attention to such details. \:\) I thought a reminder might be appreciated by a few of you??
If you have a room reservation please go ahead and register for PB III . Plans need to be made and accommodations completed. There will be a large push to get local Bass Pro customers and prior BP seminar attendees to come as well. Now is the time to save your place.
I'm going to register ASAP before the early price deadline. However as far as the rooms I may have to camp out.

Not saying the rooms are too expensive but the recession had finally taken hold big time up here business wise. Thank God we have a second income.

But I will be there and I can't wait! I can't wait to see you all again and stay the whole time this time!
Posted By: RAH Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 07/06/09 11:43 AM
Glad somebody enjoyed this...
Dave funny you posted I started to do the same on Friday. I had to deal with some personal issues but finally signed up and heck just to helpout went ahead and got a booth. We are super excited. I will have family there for vacation as well as bringing three employees.

If no one has said this so I will Bob sticks his neck out on a limb with the conference. I think this is very professionally done and surprised so far at the lack of registered attendees. I hope you right Ewest about spots being filled by BPS, etc. We need to get folks motivated to be there. There is not better money spent than at this conference. You cannot replace the advice you will get for the $150 fee. I’m excited about he hands on aspect of this conference. It should be a great teaching tool. I hope to see everyone there.
I sent in my Convention registration today and will send in my meals package ASAP most likely before the deadline. Gonna have to do this as I go but can't wait to be there. I think I'm going to call up that lawyer again whose bass is done, but is dragging his feet. I know he wouldn't hesitate if I owed him money!

The wife may now be interested in going so I'm going to try and convince her to let me reserve a room and pay it off before the CC bill is due.

I had an offer to share a room but I owe it to Bob and the rest of the Pond Boss family to make this thing work and not leave Bob hanging. Besides if the wife is going...

Looking forward to coming! Come on folks if I can do it you can do it!

Edit:

The wife is making resort reservations tomorrow!

Greg,I know its a very informative couple of days,but thats not really why Im going.Im really going to support PondBoss and see all of you again.Its a family reunion,without the 2 or3 jerks that show up at em. \:\)
For those who may be on the fence - go read the last 2 PB Conv. reports. The outpouring of personal feelings about and toward this PB family and its members is unmatched. While you will learn a lot (this PB III is geared to hands on do it yourself knowledge ) the friendships created and enjoyed are lifelong treasures. There are also a ton of great exhibitors / booths. I hope to see each of you there. Come by the mods booth and visit.

2007 - http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92619#Post92619

2008 - http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124648#Post124648
(this PB III is geared to hands on do it yourself knowledge )

I guess I'll talk to Bob about setting up a demolition booth and plan on bringing explosives.Everyone should be able to enjoy the thrill of BOOM.
I finally got around to registering for the conference this morning. \:\)
Posted By: PFV Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 07/19/09 04:16 PM
Wow. I have only been on this board for a few short weeks, and already felt like a "friend of the family", so all the pics were cool. It's nice to put a name with a face.

Thanks ewest for posting the links to the previous conferences.

And Theo has it right about Whataburger!! Thay are considered a Texas treasure. When I used to take cross country motorcycle trips, as soon as I hit the state line coming home, I was huntin' me a Whataburger!! I think they put crack or somethin' in them suckers cause they are ADDICTIVE!!
Well I've been avoiding this for the past couple of weeks but here it is. It is with a heavy heart that I must report that Ricki and I will not be able to attend this year's conference.

We both were so looking forward to going, the location is so beautiful, the knowledge gained is ever so needed, and the camaraderie just cannot be equaled.

Not to bore you with details but because of unforeseen expenses related Ricki's father's illness attending the conference is just not in the budget this year. My excitement at the prospect of attending another conference was heartfelt and, had circumstances been different this year, we would have joined you all in September. In difficult times family supports family, both spiritually and financially, and lord knows we have endured some difficult times this year.

I will miss seeing all of you tremendously. I pride myself in being a man of my word and am ashamed at breaking my commitment, however this tragic turn of events was unavoidable. I apologize to all for committing to going to the conference and then backing out on my commitment.
JHAP,

I feel your pain. You, Ricki, and I will be absent this year, but we can wreck the party next year!
Jeff, Ricki, and David, so sorry y'all will miss out this year. It won't be the same without you!
I understand, and there are probably a lot of us that are in a similar boat, but things will get better,
and we'll have a great conference in 2010
I just completed my registration.

For anyone attending, I have a listing of cell phone numbers mainly from attendees of the last two shows.

If you want a copy of the list, or you want to have your cell phone number added to the list, send me a PM along with an email address so I can forward the total list to you.

It's just around the corner now!!!!
Hi Sunil~ Are you going to fish in the tournament? What day are you coming in?
I think some of us are doing a leisure boat ride on Thursday afternoon at the same time as the tournament, so no, I'm not fishing the tournie.

I haven't booked my travel yet but I am planning on coming out on Thursday morning.
Posted By: DJT Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 08/12/09 02:51 AM
For those of you who haven't booked rooms yet you should do so quickly. I did so today and had to get one of the Thunderhead fishing cabins to stay my price range instead of a room at the main building. The lady said they are filling rooms fast. They sent pics of the cabins and they look pretty neat and come with a small kitchen which will come in very handy. It sure beats my original plan of making Ramen noddles in the coffee pot and grilled cheese sandwiches with the steam iron.
 Originally Posted By: DJT
It sure beats my original plan of making Ramen noddles in the coffee pot and grilled cheese sandwiches with the steam iron.

CLASSIC!!! Welcome back to bachelor days!
I'm in - cabin on the lake - rooms [except for deluxe king] are booked unless you want to shuffle rooms.

Two BR cabin with kitchen are 160/night.

Now to get registered for the conference....
Have we got a list anywhere of those that have actually officially registered for the Conference?
I'm in the Valley View.
I am . Working on a good presentation on Hands on Structure.
Oh, yes, the Valley View...probably casts a shadow over my poor fisherman's cabin. Give me a head's up before you dump your chamber pot on my roof so I can close the windows, please.
Actual flush toilets in the Valley View.

So we won't need to borrow the privy at your cabin. ;\)
Oh, yes, the Valley View...probably casts a shadow over my poor fisherman's cabin. Give me a head's up before you dump your chamber pot on my roof so I can close the windows, please.

The wifey and I are in the Valley View too. I promise I'll bring some hydrated lime to put in my chamber pot.
All I have to say is bottle rockets can fire UPHILL as well as down upon we commoners...and there's a few firework stands between Lincoln and the conference.

There is unrest in the forest...

Food for thought, elitists!
All I have to say is bottle rockets can fire UPHILL as well as down upon we commoners...and there's a few firework stands between Lincoln and the conference.

There is unrest in the forest...

Food for thought, elitists!

You serfs are all alike!
I'm thinking of some quote from the Quest for the Holy Grail but it escapes me now...
I'm thinking of some quote from the Quest for the Holy Grail but it escapes me now...

"Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!"
Or-

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Pfffffthhhhhhh (while beating top of head with hands)."
Posted By: DJT Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 08/13/09 03:50 AM
TJ57, I will bring the knight costume if you bring the coconut halves.
I always travel with coconuts halves in my truck - one never knows when they'll prove to be useful.

Walt - your recollection was spot on. I need to dust off that VHS TAPE and...wait, I haven't owned a VHS player in ten years! I'm going to need to buy a DVD box set of MP movies, I bet they exist.
I can just about guarantee that box set exists.

I keep a surplus of coconut halves in case of a horse shortage.
I must express my deepest sympathies to the Govenor Jay Nixon, Mayor Raeanne Presley, the six Aldermen (Alderpersons?, what the heck is an Alderman anyway?), law enforcement, the good people in state of Missouri and anyone and everyone in general proximity of Branson, Missouri (specifically the cleaning and maintence crew of the Big Cedar lodge).

Why?

Because JHAP and JWHAP are going to the conference bayyyybeeee! I can't wait. The calendar is marked in red felt pen. We're going to Branson.
Great news!!!!
Alert the Media, and the Big Cedar liquor vendors...........
Whoopee! I'll be looking for you.

Darn! Have to get the daily GSF Sacrifice removed from the schedule now.

Because JHAP and JWHAP are going to the conference bayyyybeeee! I can't wait. The calendar is marked in red felt pen. We're going to Branson.

That is great news. I knew you couldn't stay away!

For us, I now feel like it is official. The trip just got posted on the vacation schedule at work.
Fellow conference attendees, bring your cameras, leave home your inhibitions, bring some ace bandages, pack some Neosporin, make sure the health and life insurance premiums are paid, bring some bail money, rehearse your alibis.

The unofficial motto for this year's conference will be "Plausible Deniability."

Apparently we have almost 200 attendees registered already. Lets crush the 200 mark. Let's go folks. If you're on the fence, jump off.

Where else will you get to meet, live and in person, Commander Cody, Dr Dave Willis, the pond boss himself Mr. Bob Lusk, Mike "mad man" Otto, the fabulous Pond Boss moderation team, and all of the great folks of the forum, meet JWHAP and offer your her condolences.

Think of the memories and the physical and psychological scars you'll be able to show off after attending the conference! Plus in your spare time you'll learn stuff about ponds and meet our great Pond Boss vendors. You don't want to be sitting at home reading about this on the forums, and you don't want to have to wait for the 60 Minute special to air, get registered, get er done.

Lets go folks. Time to sign up and get ready. If you know of non-forum members who might come contact them and get them on board. While things are progressing well we need more people to make this work well. If Jeff can break loose from So Cal so can everyone else. Jeff - way to go -
I look forward to seeing you Jeff!

Sounds like a good turnout considering the economy. I hope we bring lot of new folks from the midllewest into the fold!
Posted By: Bing Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 08/18/09 08:28 PM
If we can just get George to make the trip we'll be well on the way to a perfect conference.

Besides that, if George can't come I may be the oldest conferee there. Wait, is there a prize for that?

Bing
That's great news JHAP and JWHAP!! It didn't seem right that you two weren't going to come to the conference. After the year you both have had you NEED to come to Big Cedar! Can't wait to see you there!
Posted By: n8ly Re: 2009 Pond Boss Conference has been changed! - 08/18/09 09:17 PM
its on like donkey kong!!!
Now that is what I am talking about Jeff!
Bing, there was a prize, but you've already got the ball cap! \:\)
If we can just get George to make the trip we'll be well on the way to a perfect conference.

I agree a piece of the conference is missing without George in attendance.

Besides that, if George can't come I may be the oldest conferee there. Wait, is there a prize for that?

Yes Bing, yes there is...

It will be great to see you again my friend. I still have fond memories of us sitting on Lusks dock and watching you nail BG.
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Alert the Media, and the Big Cedar liquor vendors...........

Oh come on let us not exaggerate. There is no need to notify all of the Big Cedar liquor vendors.

Only the ones that deliver the Captain Morgan's spiced rum. Those folks should be notified immediately. \:o \:D
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
its on like donkey kong!!!
Now that is what I am talking about Jeff!

You know it is Natester!

Just remember what happens in Branson, stays in Branson.

Well unless I get a photo or video tape of it, then it might end up on the forums, and if I don't get a photo of video tape but I can describe the event in a realisic manner it still might end up on the forums, and if I can't decribe the event in a realistic manner but can make up a somewhat believable story it might still end up on the forums, oh who's kidding who, what ever happens will probably end up on the forums.
 Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
That's great news JHAP and JWHAP!! It didn't seem right that you two weren't going to come to the conference. After the year you both have had you NEED to come to Big Cedar! Can't wait to see you there!

Thank you Sue, we are so looking forward to going I can't hardly believe it.
Great news!!!

Just remember what happens in Branson, stays in Branson.

Well unless I get a photo or video tape of it, then it might end up on the forums, and if I don't get a photo of video tape but I can describe the event in a realisic manner it still might end up on the forums, and if I can't decribe the event in a realistic manner but can make up a somewhat believable story it might still end up on the forums, oh who's kidding who, what ever happens will probably end up on the forums.

Let it be known to all conference attendees that there is a reward for ALL photos of JHAP in compromising positions. If in fact the photo does not display an embarrassing scene with JHAP, it will be judged after appropriate photoshopping.
We'll be staying at the Red Bud Cove Bed & Breakfast. It's 2.4 miles from the Big Cedar lodge. My understanding is that Big Cedar Lodge is booked. For those of you that are looking for rooms the town of Branson is only about 12 miles from the Big Cedar lodge. There are numerous Holiday Inns (I think 3 in the general area) a Quality Inn, a Clarion Hotel, a Red Roof Inn, Barrington Hotel and Boxcar Willie Hotel (no I'm not joking there is a hotel named Boxcar Willie and the reviews of it are good, so there). The Quality Inn has rooms starting at $80 per night.
Let it be known to all conference attendees that there is a reward for ALL photos of JHAP in compromising positions. If in fact the photo does not display an embarrassing scene with JHAP, it will be judged after appropriate photoshopping.

OH SNAP!

Note to self, bring Martha Stewart disguise.

Bing

Bing, my title of “adult supervisor” is assigned to you on a temporary basis, to keep an eye on the “band of rowdies” that will go unnamed at this point in time.
Daily reports will be required.

Jeff, you are in charge of teaching “double haul” – video required.

Oh rest assured George, if I'm teaching "double haul" someone is sure to video tape it.

Can't I have an easier assignment?

How about double shots can I teach double shots???

(I'll bet Sunil has that breakout session locked up already though).
Less than 30 days to the conference. I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. Are we there yet?

Yesterday JWHAP was looking at photos of the lodge and Table Rock Lake. The lodge looks so beautiful! The lake is HUGE, over 43,000 acres and 800 miles of shoreline.

According to the website:

Dominant species: LMB, SMB, Spotted Bass, White Crappie, BG, Long Ear Sunfish, Channel Cats, Flat Head Cats.

Secondary species: White Bass, Bullhead, Carp, Black Crappie.

Limited species: Walleye, Paddlefish, Warmouth, Striped Bass.

WHAT NO GSF?!?!
They didn't have GSF at the Sheraton Arlington, either, until we were there. \:D
Improving the nation, one BOW at a time!
Less than 30 days to the conference. I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait. Are we there yet?

Yesterday JWHAP was looking at photos of the lodge and Table Rock Lake. The lodge looks so beautiful! The lake is HUGE, over 43,000 acres and 800 miles of shoreline.

According to the website:

Dominant species: LMB, SMB, Spotted Bass, White Crappie, BG, Long Ear Sunfish, Channel Cats, Flat Head Cats.

Secondary species: White Bass, Bullhead, Carp, Black Crappie.

Limited species: Walleye, Paddlefish, Warmouth, Striped Bass.

WHAT NO GSF?!?!

I'm sure they're there if a river was damned to produce the reservoir. I fish a reservoir out east where bluegills are not listed (people consider them trash fish there), and I can assure you they are in the reservoir. In fact that is my main draw to the reservoir.
Jeff, Table Rock Lake is fed by cold water inflows which are loaded with GSF state wide. We try hard to ignore that factoid though.
I must express my deepest sympathies to the Govenor Jay Nixon, Mayor Raeanne Presley, the six Aldermen (Alderpersons?, what the heck is an Alderman anyway?), law enforcement, the good people in state of Missouri and anyone and everyone in general proximity of Branson, Missouri (specifically the cleaning and maintence crew of the Big Cedar lodge).

Why?

Suhweet - we can reinact the Todd Overton citizen's arrest scene after all! I will play the part of backround tumbleweed.
Jeff, Table Rock Lake is fed by cold water inflows which are loaded with GSF state wide. We try hard to ignore that factoid though.

Exxxxxcellent.

Suhweet - we can reinact the Todd Overton citizen's arrest scene after all!

I'm not liking the sound of this.
Jeff

Take heart, we'll be sure you're sufficiently pickled so the only pain from the pistol whipping then sleeper hold will be when you wake in the AM.

Maybe N8ly could bring his camcorder and we could shoot the scene underwater?
Well I guess that is slightly better than having my stomach contents lavaged by Justin VanDeHay.
I'm going to personally handle the lavaging of your stomach contents by the "pull your trigger" method.
Is anyone else staying in Spring View Lodge? I am worried about the neighborhood.
I'm going to personally handle the lavaging of your stomach contents by the "pull your trigger" method.

I hope you get better results than last year when he tricked me into the "pull your finger" method
Suhweet - we can reinact the Todd Overton citizen's arrest scene after all!

I'm not liking the sound of this.

It could be worse - we could do the Overton Overnight Ninja bit, and you could be the otter.
Call for Silent Auction items - Proceeds go to the Jesse West Fisheries Research Endowment at SDSU

Attention all professional at the forum: I suspect "famous" shirts from any of our professional fish squeezers/haulers, aerators, and dirt folk here would be sought after items at the PBConIII Silent Auction. Tax deductable, too. Hint, hint.

I know when I'm wearing my yellow SDSU golf shirt, people look at me like I'm important.

What does an impotent person look like, anyhow?
You would have to ask Condello.

Fear us.....
Most all more-or-less Normal People do.
.....and several species of animals.
Jhappopotamus?

Is it me or does it look like Sunil has a Pond Boss thong a little out of place?

I understand the authentic, autographed version will be up for silent auction this year? Any troof to that rumor, Sunil?
Seeing as Fattay is not making the show this year, I'll have to find a new crabbing partner.
Somehow I feel comfort in not knowing what the heck you are talking about Sunil.
If he picks you for his new crabbing partner, you will....
watch out for the pincher
TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!
Get registered.

Get reservations.

Get er done!

Im shutting down next Saterday to start preparations.No alnite service calls the day before this year.
Im shutting down next Saterday to start preparations.

Does this have any one else worried besides me?
had me wondering...
He's afraid he'll get fired on Sunday, so he's trying to close a day early.
Im shutting down next Saterday to start preparations.

Does this have any one else worried besides me?

I hear ya Tom and Jhap. Shaping small explosives charges is both time consuming AND worrisome!

HOT LINE for “Virtual” PB Conference Attendees

Daily reports will be appreciated from the Moderator’s booth.

Eric, if you and DD will supervise the behavior of the adolescent moderators, I have previously assigned Bing the duty of “Adult Supervisor” for social activities.

JHAP has the duty of reporting on all fly-casting instruction.

GOSH DANG IT – I will miss seeing all of my old friends and putting names on faces on my new friends!!!!

Bing

Bing, my title of “adult supervisor” is assigned to you on a temporary basis, to keep an eye on the “band of rowdies” that will go unnamed at this point in time.
Daily reports will be required.

We will miss you too, george.
-Adolescent Moderator #2
George you will be there in sprit. I will have a few of the extra flies you gave me for the Mods table. One plan I have is to get people to post from the booth in addition to the mods. We will have some pics also. I sure hope its more like a continuing stream as opposed to a couple times a day.

George, we will miss you tremendously my friend, you absolutely will be there in spirit!

Ricki and I will take lots of photos and I'll do my best to report on any and all activities . We forgot our At&T internet card so we will be at the mercy of any wireless internet access that we can pirate/hijack/borrow/abuse.
Jeff just come to the mods booth and post. Plus I think (not positive) that BC is wi-fi ready and it is free (maybe not in the conference center).
© Pond Boss Forum