Pond Boss
Posted By: james holt Floating alligator - 11/17/08 09:04 PM
do any of you have the floating alligator to scare away birds? I had one at one time but it deteriorated and I threw it away. If I remember correctly it seemed to work fairly well. what have your results been if you have one? I was thinking about ordering one.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Floating alligator - 11/17/08 09:14 PM
I bet our cormorants would dive-bomb it.

Sounds like a good idea, though. I could think of some good pranks involving guests as well.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Floating alligator - 11/17/08 10:57 PM
Brag on...some of us Ags will eat this piece of humble pie...for now.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 12:20 AM
I'd say it's our fair turn after 73-10 in 2003. That being said, I'll take every chance I get to savor something that has happened twice in 22 years. What a sad streak of futility...may there never be another one like it. Personally, I like the shot of the Ag section exiting en masse before the fourth quarter.

I think the rivalry just got more interesting...

[Sorry James, back on track...where did you get the first gator? It sounds like a good idea...what kind of birds were you trying to scare away?]
Posted By: david u Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 01:15 AM
Baylor's playoff chances now seem dim as their opponent this week is :

Legacy Christian Academy of Frisco, sealed up their tenth victory in a row and a spot in the Regional Playoff game. The Regional playoff game will be played at Baylor University's Floyd-Casey Stadium in Waco this Friday at 7:00 p.m.

This appears on LCA's website
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 02:18 AM
Savor on...you guys earned it and you deserve it.
Posted By: james holt Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 03:04 AM
Gator Gaurd from Bird x.
Posted By: bobad Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 01:39 PM
A rubber alligator would work for a while. Birds are very good at figuring things out.

I have a lot of turtles, so I guess I need this fellow:

Posted By: james holt Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 02:26 PM
I bet that would do the trick.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 02:33 PM
yep, you should just go for the real deal!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 10:01 PM
Holy Moly.
Lusk hyjacked a post!
No wonder he only has a four star rating.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/18/08 10:01 PM
Wait a darn minute...
<------
Posted By: GW Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 01:44 AM
Most likely some GSF hater got you JHAP.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 02:45 AM
Evidently, Lusk's knowledge has become so vast that he realizes how little he knows. Probably downgraded himself. In ten years he'll likely go for three stars.
Posted By: ewest Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 03:15 AM
Look now Dudley - wow 5 stars - amazing what mods can do. \:\)
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 04:46 AM
Damn, Eric! Why'd you do that? I think it was Cecil who blessed me with four stars years ago and I finally hid them, realizing that I knew extremely little. I even posted an opinion a few years back that only those with authoritative knowledge of matters related to aquaculture should have five stars. Time in grade doesn't count. And there's no provision in my profile for hiding the stars. Dave! Sunil! See if you can take those stars off me and next time you see Eric, pour a can of whup-ass on him and tell him it's a gift from me. I'm too old to do it myself.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 11:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
...I even posted an opinion a few years back that only those with authoritative knowledge of matters related to aquaculture should have five stars...

huh?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 05:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Look now Dudley - wow 5 stars - amazing what mods can do. \:\)

Oh sure upgrade Dudley to 5 stars but leave old JHAP, Bob Lusk, Brettski and Theo languishing under the scarlet letter-like classification of four measly stars. I'm thinking of writing a made for TV movie about this oppression. I'm thinking the script will go something like this...

[Opening shot of Brettski and JHAP discussing the pros and cons of solar powered vacation retreats. JHAP has his back to the camera. Up walks Moderator Ewest....]

Moderator Ewest: Old woman.
JHAP: Man.
Moderator Ewest: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
JHAP: I'm 50.
Moderator Ewest: What?
JHAP: I'm 50. I'm not old.
Moderator Ewest: Well I can't just call you "man".
JHAP: Well you could say "Jeff or JHAP".
Moderator Ewest: I didn't know you were called JHAP.
JHAP: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?
Moderator Ewest: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...
JHAP: What I object to is you automatically treat me like a four star rated inferior.
Moderator Arthur: Well I am a moderator.
Brettski: Oh, moderator eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.
Moderator Arthur: I am your supreme moderator.
Brettski: Well I didn't vote for you.
Moderator Ewest: You don't vote for moderators.
Brettski: Well how'd you become moderator then?

[Angelic music plays... ]

Moderator Ewest: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur (a very powerful, link posting computer) from the bosom of the Lake, signifying by divine providence that I, Ewest, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your moderator.
JHAP: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' laptop computers is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
JHAP: Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a word processor at you.
JHAP: Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Moderator, just because some moistened bint lobbed an internet connected electronic device at me, they'd put me away.
JHAP: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
Moderator Ewest: Bloody four start rated peasant!
JHAP: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him Brettski, Didn't you?

Oh and Ewest don't even think of upgrading our classifications to 5 stars now. We'll wear our 4 stars as a badge of honor thank you very much.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 06:14 PM
Oh and sorry James. I believe that this thread was about pest repelling imitate-a-gators about which I have no words of wisdom or experience.

Carry on.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 06:40 PM
I came for the cupcakes
Posted By: ewest Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 10:03 PM
JHAP - I mean old man.

Theo is a mod - he can take care of himself. He is 5+ stars in my book. Bob owns the place so he can do what he wants - including fire the mods and award gold stars + .

Now for the common folk - you have to know how to play the game. The stars mean nothing - at least not to me. The people - now that is a different mater - they mean a lot. Just so you understand - Dudley (even though he complained) is a class guy - for reasons only a few here know . So I acknowledge him just like I do you and B'ski with 5 stars. The difference was no one else had voted for Dudley so my vote was the only one to count. My 5 star vote for you was offset by some dummy who does not understand that people matter. No special powers here - just privileged to share this place with special people who count more than stars.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Floating alligator - 11/19/08 10:32 PM
Mary Gauthier - Lucky Stars

You throw me that look again
we both know what it means
packing bags and tying up loose ends
lettin' go of busted dreams

Silence fills the room tonight
You've never been this cold
To leave me sliding down your icy look
With nowhere to grab a hold

CHORUS
I know it's hard to know the truth
So we live with points of view
I'm counting on my lucky stars
I used to count on you

Everything you do to me
I've done to you before
There's beauty in the symmetry
Of evening the score

CHORUS
I used to count on you

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 12:30 AM
Did someone mention cupcakes?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 10:45 AM
It just so happens Ive got fresh cupcakes,brownies AND homemade pizza.The wife just happened to feel like baking yesterday.Life is good...for a little while anyway.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 11:29 AM
...locking in deathstar vectoring coordinates for baked goods acquisition beam
Posted By: TOM G Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 11:47 AM
Soooo Soooorrryy,I waer my pionty tinfoil Deathstar coordinate deactvater hat at all times,not that Im paranoid or anything.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 11:51 AM
Dud, you deserve 5 shinies. You took on the dreaded Fish Wife and lived. Not well, as I recall, but are at least still gasping for air. As Theo will tell you, that's a pretty rare accomplishment.

Anybody seen any alligators?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 12:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
You took on the dreaded Fish Wife and lived. Not well, as I recall, but are at least still gasping for air. As Theo will tell you, that's a pretty rare accomplishment.

I need one of these for my pond
Posted By: GW Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 08:25 PM
JHAP, I just rated you 5 star, so you're that much closer...
Posted By: james holt Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 08:52 PM
So does this all mean that I should buy the plastic alligator or buy a real living alligator? I got confused over whether jeff was a man or a woman? If he is a man I should buy the fake one? Eric am I right? Who is this knight? Will he defend my pond?
Posted By: ewest Re: Floating alligator - 11/20/08 10:15 PM
Fake one with a motor. James see this thread wrt Knights.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94068&fpart=1

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/21/08 04:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...locking in deathstar vectoring coordinates for baked goods acquisition beam

Dang it Bski, how did you know about BGAB?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Floating alligator - 11/21/08 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: james holt
So does this all mean that I should buy the plastic alligator or buy a real living alligator? I got confused over whether jeff was a man or a woman? If he is a man I should buy the fake one? Eric am I right? Who is this knight? Will he defend my pond?

Real.
Was and still is Man. (reasonable question I guess given that I live in CA).
I just told you, Real.
Eric who?
Sir Lancealot.
No.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/21/08 11:57 PM
Thank you for the kind words as well as for the five stars, Eric.
I will wear them with great humility and, accordingly, disregard the unkind remarks from the malcontents. (I was going to say "malcontented four star rabble" but decided not to use that phrase since it could be misinterpreted as not in keeping with my humble posture)
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/22/08 12:06 AM
When we hijack a thread, we certainly do it with style. Sorry, James. I have no experience with floating vinyl gators. My comorants and anhinga do seem to just ignore the real ones.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Floating alligator - 11/22/08 01:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Thank you for the kind words as well as for the five stars, Eric.
I will wear them with great humility and, accordingly, disregard the unkind remarks from the malcontents. (I was going to say "malcontented four star rabble" but decided not to use that phrase since it could be misinterpreted as not in keeping with my humble posture)

Always taking the high road! ;\)
Posted By: TOM G Re: Floating alligator - 11/22/08 03:38 PM
Did someone mention thread hijack?When I was a kid in France I was playing with matches and accidently burned off a hillside.I was a real popular kid with the whole town after I got caught.Thankfully my Dad got transfered back to the States a short time later.
Disclaimer...there were no alligaters harmed during this eppisode of my life,that Im aware of
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/22/08 09:16 PM
So happy that someone saw the humor in incongruity and absurdity, Theo.
Posted By: ewest Re: Floating alligator - 11/23/08 02:08 PM
Dudley we will need to get Dave (DD1) to join in this thought process. He will surly have words of wisdom. ;\)
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Floating alligator - 11/23/08 03:58 PM
Eric, I think Dave's either hunting alligators or busy polishing Fish Wife's emasculator and encouraging her to have another go at me. He's dissappointed that she only broke my arms last time we visited.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Floating alligator - 11/23/08 06:35 PM
When a couple of 5 stars battle, Dudley, those of us who are mere mortals do best to just stay out of the way.
© Pond Boss Forum