Pond Boss
i have a small pond made from a dammed valley

yesterday i took a walk & found a 30' long winding trench across the top of the dam

it was pretty consistently about 4" wide & an inch or 2 deep

i have a 2 dogs, a weimaraner & a vizsla who occasionally dig for moles

i've never had moles on the dam & the dogs always dig down, not a near perfectly formed trench

the dogs were only out for a short while yesterday & they did not return dirty

i have deer/rabbits/opossum/turkey/turtles, none of which i've ever seen dig

any ideas ?
Posted By: JoeG Re: help identify mystery critter diggin up dam - 09/30/08 07:35 PM
Sounds like bugs bunny has been golfing there with Elmer Fudd, sorry I couldn't resist. If you are old enough to understand that one you were around when good cartoons were still on.

If it is loose dirt it's probably a turtle track. If it was sod, then i can't imagine what would do it. Got any pictures?
If its as dry there as it here in Texas its probably your fish looking for a drink
Earwig? If you put your ear to the ground you should be able to hear them digging. Just don't listen to long, you don't want to end up like Chekov! \:D
Prob. a skunk/possom/coon trying to root out a mole/vole.
Posted By: JoeG Re: help identify mystery critter diggin up dam - 09/30/08 11:05 PM
Chekov, Hah. Awful nasty case of ear mites eh?
We had strange diggings going on at our place. At first I thought it was DIED coming over in the middle of the night digging wierd holes just to mess with me. But then I had a contractor on the property and he said it was a fox looking for food. We've seen a fox on the property a couple of times so that explanation sort of fit. Sounds like it's time for a game camera Shane.
i have seen a fox or 2 in the neighborhood, that's a possibility

i do have a couple of outdoor motion triggered security cameras on the property, unfortunately there's a willow tree between the camera & the dig spot
© Pond Boss Forum