Pond Boss
Posted By: 1tonychavis Let me try this again - 07/28/08 07:41 PM
The pond site has several springs popping out of the ground ( 10 or 12 )and they come together into one small stream that flows about ten months out of the year. My first thought was to cut a core, build the dam and back up the water.Then I got to thinking about all the pressure that would be applied to the springs considering there was only a thirty six inch drop in elevation from the head of the pond to the dam(100 yards) and decided it would be better to dig it out like a canal then build a five foot tall dam and add a spillway.The pond is twelve foot below natural ground and has since came up two and a half foot on the dam . Construction was complete on 6-26-08 and I was wondering about how long it's gonna take to clear up. All the ponds in my area end up almost black looking. [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]
Posted By: sullpond Re: Let me try this again - 07/28/08 09:41 PM
Hey Tony,
There are others here that definitely know better than I, but it appears to me the color of the water comes from suspended clay in the water column. I'm not sure how long it would take to settle out. My pond is about 10 years old and recently took up a similar look when I started digging out the headwaters. There are ways of clearing it but I would think since it's still filling waiting is the best plan at the moment.

Black water usually comes from leaf litter falling in the pond and adding tannins. Most of the ponds I grew up around were the same color, as well as the swamps we used to wade through.

If I'm off base the pondbosses will thwack me on the head like my Mrs. does. And I'll have to sit in the corner.

Welcome to the neighborhood by the way.
-Tim
Posted By: salth2ocowboy Re: Let me try this again - 07/29/08 02:58 AM
Ours looked the same way BROTHER''
It shall Square up and Level out!
© Pond Boss Forum