Pond Boss
By the power vested in me by many years of pond muck and ink on paper and the authority of our dignified, hand-selected, band of moderators, I hereby authorize and give permission to Young Man, Mr. Chris Steelman, to become the very first Fisheries Student Moderator of the Pond Boss Forum.
For several years, said Young Man has proven his worthiness by staying on the forum way too much, answering posts instead of studying, cooking fish, hanging out with the pros, attending conferences and contributing to the Jesse West Foundation with money that other gainfully unemployed students would probably spend on beer.
Because of his committment to the betterment of the pond management industry (fledgling as the industry is), young Chris has gone above and beyond the duty and has been duly recognized by his peers.
Moderator Bruce Condello suggested elevating Young Man to this position and after a rapidly called meeting of the moderators, the decision was made.
Now, it has been consummated, so to speak.
To all, raise a toast to Young Man, the FIRST Pond Boss Fisheries Student Moderator....
Hip Hip, Hooray!
Hip Hip, Hooray!

Any other students out there listening?

A toast to Chris!

Well done, my friend!
Here, here!

The (old) Mods will have a special forum presentation in honor of Chris just as soon as I finish it, tomorrow or so.
Hip hip hooray!
congrats Chris.You neede more food on yer plate anyway huh?
Way to go, Chris! Many congrats!
Congrats and well earned. Your studies still come first !!! Being first is quite an honor and carries with it great responsibilities. Have fun and be yourself - after all that's what got you to this point.
Besides that he is a really nice guy and a great fisherman.

Bing
Well deserved, Young Blood.
Congratulations Young Blood. I know you asked me what being a moderator pays, and I told you I'd get back to you on that. Keep waiting.

On a side note, who should fill Young Blood's shoes as the new Young Man?
Way to go Chris!!!
Chris you da man. Congrats
How about a word now from the young man of the moment?? Chris??
Hip hip, hooray! \:\)
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the opportunity to represent the forum as a moderator.

The last two days I have been working on a Grad student’s project. We have been sampling the Black River here in Arkansas looking for the Stargazing Darter. Today we found about 24 of them. Last year they only found 19. We also caught 4 Shovelnose Sturgeon today. They are a very cool fish.
Glad you are focused on the subject at hand.
Does a stargazing darter have eyes at the top and a far away look?
Would you like to say a few words?

Nope
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Would you like to say a few words?

Nope

Yeah he was rather chatty once he got up there on stage in front of the mic... ;\)
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Does a stargazing darter have eyes at the top and a far away look?

Yep. ;\)

Actually they look like any other darter and have 4 dark bars across their back. They are very easy to tell apart from other darters.
back pack shocker I assume, I miss those days. Congrats and btw the bass Matt pulled otolith out of was in his second year of life.
Chris,
I think your putting together a resume that will stand out!!!
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
back pack shocker I assume, I miss those days.

Yes and we are also using a Missouri trawl for deeper water. We are collecting water velocity and substrate. This week has been nice because we can get in the water and collect substrate by hand. It is nice to be able to cool off during the middle of the day.
Hey Chris, I may have an important client you can help with, not real far from your family's land. Interested in some hands-on pond management? Maybe a little practical data collection and some research?
Of Course. I will let you the next time I am down there.
Call my cell and let me have some lead time and I'll meet you over there and show you around.
I'm in the wrong profession.
It will be at least a couple of weeks but I will make sure to give you a call.
Hey davatsa, you can come, too. Just pack a lunch. It's a haul from S.A. Never mind, I'll buy lunch. I know a good place just up the road from there.
Just teasin' Bob...although I might take you up on that offer in the future.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we love reading and hearing about your travels and experiences. There's something to be said for doing what you love for a living.
I do have lots of fun. It's a blast to be able to make a living messing with fish and then writing about it.
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I do have lots of fun. It's a blast to be able to make a living messing with fish and then writing about it.

Oh stop rubbing it in. Stupid, stupid accounting. I'm gonna kill my high school guidance counselor.
My favorite Lusk quote ever, from the first PBCon (March 2007): "Sometimes I lay in bed at night and start to giggle, 'cause I get jealous of myself."
© Pond Boss Forum