Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 02:49 AM
I've been feeding the yellow perch and bluegills off my pier in the big pond softened hydrated feed. The other night I forgot to hydrate some feed, which I squeeze the air out of and allow to sink (complements of the superior knowledge of Bill Cody aka Dr. Perca) and they didn't want any part of it. The Condello gills first of all were not happy about making the effort to come to the surface for the floating pellets, and second of all when they would inhale an unhydrated pellet they would quickly blow it back out and act irritated.

Tonight I went out with the hydrated pellets and all were happy as clams inhaling the pellets like a fat man with an eating disorder.

Amazing that even a fish can get used to being pampered and set in it's ways. Especially those hoyty toidie Condello bluegills. ;\)

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 02:52 AM
Evidently they've taken on some of my personality traits.

That's an interesting report. It makes sense, though. How many are receiving the King's treatment?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 04:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

That's an interesting report. It makes sense, though. How many are receiving the King's treatment?

As many as possible. I want them to eat to their heart's content and get as overweight as possible. ;\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 09:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Next thing you know, they'll be peopling 3-4 days a week.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 01:26 PM
They did ask me if they could post pictures of themselves on Bruce's big bluegill site. I told they they were not mature enough yet.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 03:44 PM
The first fall and following spring after my pond was built, I was feeding 42%, 1/8" sinking trout pellets produced by Freedom Feeds several miles north of me. Freedom is now out of business but their pellets were somewhat soft and much darker in color compared to Gamefish chow. I saw exceptional growth that first year or so in the BG and HBG but this may have been partially due to low competition and lots of fathead minnows. Purina's website hints of problems associated with the high fat in salmonoid diets. Is this really a problem in a farm pond where the feeding is supplemental and not exclusive as in an aquaculture setup.

Cecil, I believe I read in the past where some of your bass were showing signs of fatty livers but have you or anyone else experienced this with bluegill or perch?
Posted By: james holt Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/24/08 05:06 PM
I too have been feeding a feed with a higher fat content with an increased fish weight gain. Which is why I have been using it. What is the downside of feeding trout or salmon food to bass or bluegill? Sorry Ryan for asking the same question. Cecil what is a fish with a fatty liver?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/25/08 02:18 AM
It would be good to see a picture of a fatty liver compared to a normal liver. Anyone have a fatty liver photos?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Bruce your bluegills are spoiled! - 06/25/08 07:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
It would be good to see a picture of a fatty liver compared to a normal liver. Anyone have a fatty liver photos?

I'll see what I can do in the future as being a taxidermist I see a lot of livers in wild fish vs. the fatty livers of pellet fed fish.

That said, a fish pathologist told me "fatty liver" is a misnomoer. He says it's not the fat in the diet that causes this condition but it's too many carbs.

Dr. Brown of Purdue University says fish with these types of livers are "functional diabetics" but unlike mammals they can tolerate it better.
© Pond Boss Forum