Pond Boss
Posted By: Ricky W. How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 02:22 AM
What is the best way to catch tilapia out of my pond? They will come up to the dock I have but are not interested in any bait I use for bluegill. Need help. Ricky
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 02:26 AM
try corn.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 02:49 AM
Mr McBp, I guess you prefer the Texas rig, but I think the Carolina rig with the hook right thru the middle of the cob will give a lot better action.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 02:57 AM
yes but the cobb tends to get hung up...
Posted By: Rad Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 10:03 AM
Based on my limited experience, try to condition them to feed on the surface. I used cabbage to start, then almost any veggies that floats after that. Once they learn to eat anything on the surface use whatever you are tossing in at the time. The reason I used floating stuff was that I wanted to see that it was being eaten and not just rot on the bottom.

But, mine were conditioned to pellets first.

The other thing that works is a flavored bread/dough mix same as carp fishing, use either a bobber of fish the bottom. Here strawberry flavor is good.

There are other links here do a little searching and you will probably find what some one in your heighborhood is using.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/11/08 03:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rad
The other thing that works is a flavored bread/dough mix same as carp fishing, use either a bobber of fish the bottom. Here strawberry flavor is good.

Oh come on Rad, strawberry bread??? Next thing you know you're gonna be telling us that you're using blueberry muffins and circle hooks. \:D
Posted By: Rad Re: How to catch tilapia - 06/12/08 04:37 AM
I didn't want to say this but, we often use strawberry soda to moisten the bread when we can't find the readi-mix.

Did I mention we use banana bread as well?

Blueberries and circle hooks haven't been invented here, yet.

Jeff, the monkey post was very funny.
Posted By: photobryan Re: How to catch tilapia - 05/27/11 03:50 PM
Strawberry wheat bread in indead good for carp. Caught many on this bait on a treble hook. Add some cat food to the mix and you got a darn good catfish bate too. The plain strawberry bread iw worth giving a try on the Tilapia. I am going Tilapia fishing in a couple days myself.
Posted By: BrianH Re: How to catch tilapia - 05/27/11 04:03 PM
I've tried a lot of different things and earthworms and maggots work the best by far. BTW mine are Mosumbique.
© Pond Boss Forum