Pond Boss
Posted By: michauxii BULLFROG SEX - 05/28/08 09:08 PM
Sex, breeding, copulation.... whatever you want to call it.

Several friends (and more than one website) describe the breeding habits of bullfrogs as that of fishes. Female lays eggs, males give eggs a shot of semen and little froggies, tadpoles, appear.

I pretty sure there is an internal fertilization of the female's eggs; or I have seen pairs in some pretty awkwark positions for no apparent reason.

So experts, what do you know about bullfrog sex?
Posted By: Shorty Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/28/08 09:25 PM
My sources say that fertilization is external rather than internal.......those awkard positions are likely part of the external fertilization process.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:10 AM
What a subject!

Shorty is absolutely right. The female starts to drop the eggs and the male starts to fertilize them with semen. It happens simultaneously, but is external.
Posted By: michauxii Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 03:07 AM
Let me see if I have this picture correct..
The frogs are probably "coupled" somehow. The female is squirting out eggs and the male is fertilizing the eggs as the emerge from her vent.
Correct?
Posted By: Shorty Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:00 PM
 Quote:
The frogs are probably "coupled" somehow. The female is squirting out eggs and the male is fertilizing the eggs as the emerge from her vent.
Correct?

Correct! ;\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:08 PM
terriffic....a new acronym
PBAV
(Pond Boss amphibian voyeurism)
Posted By: TOM G Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:24 PM
I love it...you guys have exhuasted every topic there is so now your gonna talk frog sex \:o I cant wait till JHAP sees this thread Lord knows what he'll come up with on this one \:D
Posted By: Shorty Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:33 PM
For the PBAV afflicted, here are some African Bullfrogs doing their thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXI5nj8qOPg

Posted By: Brettski Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:37 PM
Thanks Shorty...now I have to clear my web browser history
Posted By: Shorty Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 01:45 PM
Brettski, you are not the only one who needs clear their browser history!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNZn77k1YQ&feature=related
Posted By: LRunkle Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 05:01 PM
Amphibians are still linked to the water by their need for a fluid medium where the egg and sperm can unite, i.e. external fertilization. That is why toads, tree frogs etc return to ponds to breed each spring. The penis is the liberating development that frees creatures from the need to immerse themselves to reproduce and permits the utilization of habitats far from bodies of water large enough to immerse the reproducing animal. Or at least I like to see it that way, penises get little good pub these days.
Posted By: ewest Re: BULLFROG SEX - 05/29/08 06:15 PM
ROTFLOL - \:D - - \:D

Great dissection of the situation from a guy who knows about anatomy and physiology.
© Pond Boss Forum