Pond Boss
Posted By: heybud Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 01:05 AM
Walked down to the Lazy W pond about an hour ago and noticed there is a million tiny white snails washed up around the pond. There was a cold front a couple of days ago. I have some RES in the pond. What does it mean? Do I need to do something? Is it a bad sign of something?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 01:23 AM
I've never heard of that.
Posted By: heybud Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 01:49 AM
Dave, They were four or five inches deep on the opposite side of the pond where the wind was blowing. There was literally a gabillion of them. Not sure what to make of it.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 01:52 AM
Those sound some ornery RES to me; frightening the snails to death and then draining them of all color.....
Posted By: heybud Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 02:05 AM
Dwight, When I get bad RES, I get bad RES. I don't allow no slackers in my pond. I bring you on to do a job you better get'er done or else you be supper
Posted By: ewest Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 02:18 AM
Lets see - want a wild guess -- what happended to the TV and phone - water/lighting - good thing you were not in there with them.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 02:39 AM
Texas S-cargo
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 02:25 PM
Jeez, this is EXACTLY what Theo was talking about the other day.

Now Heybud you're gonna have to stock snails to feed your RES.

That's just spooky Theo, just plain spooky.

And Heybud, why no photos dang it!
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 03:24 PM
Yeah, I want to see pics! Can't believe if you've got a decent crop of RES that you'd have hardly any snails, let along "gazillions" of 'em...
Posted By: bobad Re: Millions of Snails - 05/16/08 04:13 PM
Heybud,

I have the same problem. When I do a dip net survey, in certain areas I can count a dozen on more snails per scoop. They're small dark, conical shaped snails. I stocked ~300 RES in 1.5 acres, so either my RES died or got lazy. Haven't seen but maybe 1 stunted RES since stocking 14 months ago.
© Pond Boss Forum