Pond Boss
Posted By: sadworld little black things found as i skimmed - 05/04/08 07:27 PM
what's the little tiny black things that are born in the string algae? look like little tadpoles but they are black and real small... my only other guess is leaches? i hope not. they are infiltrating the algae and there are lots of em....
Posted By: LRunkle Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/04/08 10:53 PM
We need a photo most likely. Photos of stuff to ID usually produces a feeding frenzy of competitive erudition on this site.
Posted By: Brettski Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/05/08 12:53 AM
I just visited our project and there are a bazillion tadpoles along the entire shoreline
Posted By: sadworld Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/05/08 01:10 AM
i got tadpoles too, these are not tadpoles. they look like little leaches in the green algae. about 1/8inch long and black. they were moving, and when pushed in open water resembled the way a tadpole swims....
American Toad (Bufo americanus) tadpoles start out very small, about 1/8" long, and only grow to about 1/4" - 1/3" before they turn into tiny little toads. They are found in numbers approaching the bazillions Bski reports. They have been in my new pond for a week to 10 days right now. They LOVE eating FA.
Posted By: Shorty Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/05/08 12:46 PM
We have been having lots of midges (may flies) hatch here in the last several weeks, can you post a picture?
Posted By: fishtech Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/05/08 01:36 PM
Could be Cricket Frog tadpoles.
Posted By: sadworld Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/06/08 01:33 AM
i'm getting a new cam as mine is broke.... can't post pics at the moment. i think they are toads of some sort.... i've seen toad tadpoles but they were larger than these, thats why i was a little stumped.... i'll keep an eye on them. thanks. matt.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/06/08 01:46 AM
It is most likely that since they were first little black things in clear stings they are toad tadpoles. Toads lay their eggs this way - eggs distributed singly in narrow diameter clear gelatinous tubes. Another good indication is they occurred in MI during the first days of May which is about 2 wks after toads hatched in northern OH. Hatchling toads and frogs (tadpoles) are only the length of the diameter of the egg.
Posted By: sadworld Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/06/08 01:49 AM
i think we have a winner... they are just as you describe. thanks. matt.
Do they look like this? These are toad tadpoles.

Posted By: GW Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/06/08 05:25 PM
I had a healthy crop of toads this year in my new pond. At first I thought they were tree frogs because I see a lot of them around, but they ended up being toads.

I have a video of a bazillion toad tadpoles here .
Posted By: sadworld Re: little black things found as i skimmed - 05/06/08 11:31 PM
no i recognize those guys... mine are much smaller and don't have as much of a "bulk head".... more leach like. (i don't think they are leaches... i think we nailed it in the earlier post.
Could they be baby bullheads?
© Pond Boss Forum