Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Albino Tilapia - 04/29/08 03:18 AM
I picked up my Tilapia this past weekend and there were a couple albinos in the group of fish. I was surprised how big they were. This one is small in comparison to the others. Some must have been close to a pound. I didn't know whether to stock them or filet them!

Posted By: BillB Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/01/08 05:21 PM
Did you get your's from Boatcycle? I had the same reaction. Big and some strangely colored.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/01/08 06:50 PM
Yes - picked them up in Gilmer, TX on Saturday. I had 5 albinos. I emailed Ken Hale from Boatcycle and he told me that sometimes they get a few albinos. For those of you that don't know, I just learned from Ken that the Tilapia lay their eggs and as soon as they are fertilized, the female collects the eggs and then fry in her mouth to protect them. No wonder they reproduce so successfully.
Posted By: archer Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/01/08 07:01 PM
Its amazing to think that the small mouth on that fish could hold swimming babies. The Lord is miraculous!!!
Posted By: BarO Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/01/08 10:24 PM
Wait until you see them inhale and exhale them up close. Pretty neat! I have only lost one(that I know of) and it was an albino. The turtles had him half gone when he finally floated. I put mine in on April 19th from a pickup in Tyler.
Posted By: BillB Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/02/08 01:53 AM
I picked mine up in Gilmer too. My son and I were first in line. Must have just missed you. Where is your pond? Mine in is right north of 154 off off of 2869 half-way between Gilmer and Quitman.

I actually thought for a moment I had a koi!
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/02/08 02:17 AM
BillB I was there between 11am and 11:15. We are located just off 37 between Mineola and Quitman. We're neighbors!
Posted By: M Spinhirne Re: Albino Tilapia - 05/02/08 03:21 AM
At least half of mine are white or white with red blotches. Mine over wintered this winter, so they are near 2 pounds. I caught one Saturday on a night crawler. It put up quite a fight. I was beginning to think they turned that color when they got some age t them or was due to the clear water we have.
© Pond Boss Forum