Pond Boss
Posted By: MbBass Battle wounds? - 04/09/08 01:21 AM
All the LMB i have been catching have a good bit od battle scars . Is this pretty common this time of year ? I was fishing the banks at my pond and saw 2 LMB danceing around each other and takeing bites and nipping at each other. I see some Adult LMB swimming around a cloud of fry these must be the males right?

I am throwing a small pellet around the edges to feed the fry and some of the quarter inch maybe a little smaller. Are those from this year ? Thanx for answering my questions , I know i ask alot but i Luv to fish and want healthy fish.Good fishing to ya
Posted By: Eastland Re: Battle wounds? - 04/09/08 04:22 AM
From the facts I took away from the PB Convention, and thru recent observations, males are guarding the fry. I know it sounds cruel, but throw a minnow/lure at the male and remove it, let the spawn go...you don't really want the spawn to survive. There was a running joke last year...you only want 2 bass from a spawn to survive, and that's most likely going to happen regardless.

The small fry are from this year...my last years hatch is anywhere from about 4 to 8 inches.
Posted By: MbBass Re: Battle wounds? - 04/10/08 12:26 AM
Thanx for the reply.I thought they were from this year.It has been very warm here now for a while.Water temps are close if not over 70. I never thought about takein the male LMB from the fry so you dont have to much a survival rate. Do the BG males protect the fry like that???I just sank alot of trees and milk crates tied together so the tiny ones will be safe.Fun to see everything clicking when spring time comes.Good fishing to ya
© Pond Boss Forum