Pond Boss
Posted By: GW Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 02/28/08 11:42 PM
I have a design in mind but I'm not sure if there is much need. Would anyone build a relatively inexpensive trap to catch small Lepomis? Maybe for bait?

I originally planned the trap to collect small WM, but I think identifying such small fish might be a problem.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 02/29/08 02:57 AM
GW, why ask? Just put post it (that is unless you are going for a patent).
Posted By: GW Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 02/29/08 03:50 AM
I probably wouldn't do it anytime soon if no one else was interested. If others saw some value in it I would be more motivated to spend a few hours putting it together and testing it.

I'm curious if other traps are effective at catching this size Lepomis and in what quantities.
I've built my own traps on several occasions. I now use one of them that is the size of a 30 gallon barrel. However, I do use bait in them. Mine has an opening of about 1.5 inches.
Posted By: GW Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 02/29/08 12:58 PM
DD1, how many do you get in an average haul? Do you use it for catching bait?
I made a trap out of 1" galvinized wire 6'X 2' with an opening of about 1.5-2", out of smaller wire I made a small box to hold bread. I found the idea & basic pattern on one of the Ohio fisheries pages. OSU page? I do not recall. Perhaps in August I could pull in 3 dozen 2-3" BG. Today I would be lucky if I could trap 3 BG. My BG population of that size fish is very greatly reduced. When I used it I was very pleased with the way it functioned. The fish in one area got wise quickly & catches were reduced.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b374/b374_7.html

Ohio Pond Management
Bulletin 374-99
Posted By: GW Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 02/29/08 02:05 PM
Since my design isn't based on feeding it might be more effective at certain times.
Gw, I generally use it to trap BG to xfer to a larger pond. I put some pellets in a paint strainer bag and put it in the trap. Then I toss a small handful of pellets into the water on top of or in the close vicinity of the trap. In a couple of hours, I've caught as many as 300 at a time, up to 4 inches. I use it only in a forage pond. The bass run BG away from it in larger ponds.
Posted By: MbBass Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 03/03/08 12:43 AM
I would like to see a picture of this trap you use, if you dont mind?I have found several ponds with BG problem and want me to take them out.They happen to be a few customers of mine that i pressure wash their house.Thanx for any help and can you send it to me directly?
Posted By: GW Re: Bait-free trap for 1 - 2 1/2 inch brim - 03/03/08 12:50 AM
I would MbBass, but at this stage it's just an idea. I would need to actually build one to have anything worth sharing. From what people have posted it seems like it might be better to just stick that the tried and true baited traps. I will let you know if I make any progress on this idea though.
I also have no pics of mine and it is 70 miles away. Figure something that is like a standard small minnow trap but is the size of a 30 gallon barrel with a trap door on one end and a concave funnel on the other end. You can make the frame from remesh. Wrap it with hardware cloth(wire). Then make a funnel from the Hware cloth and wire it in one end. Next, On the other end, cut the wire to the correct circle size. You can go ahead and cut a trap door to get the fish out of the non funnel end. I actually use a chunk of flat metal to make a trap door. It is probably about 6 by 8 inches.

The whole thing is pretty crude and some fish always escape. However, an awful lot stay in.
© Pond Boss Forum