Pond Boss
How many of you have a pond 1 acre or less? A simple yes or no will suffice. This relates to my thread on putting in piers on the ice and Dwight has rightly said a permanent pier may not be a good idea in the far north due to the thickness of the ice and subsequent ice damage. However I contend that if a pond is one acre or less there is little danger. Of course I could be wrong but I haven't had a problem with ice up to 18 inches on my .62 acre wind and I can tell you we really get the wind here at times. I have no trees to block the wind. However I don't see ice breaking up or moving on my pond until get melts down to an inch or less.

So I just want to see how many of you have ponds 1 acre or less

My response is Yes. My pond is .62 acres.
yes 1 pond at 1/2 to 1/4 soon to have another at around 1/2ac
No - 5 acres. Oh, you knew that!
Lazy W is around 8/10 acre
5 out of my 6 ponds are under 1 acre.
No 9.9 acres
nope
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
No 9.9 acres

Holy Crap King Shorty! \:D
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
No - 5 acres. Oh, you knew that!

Well kinda. You got to remember I just turned 50. ;\)
Yes, .30 acre
No (6-7 acres)
Yes. 1 pond 3/4 acre..
No and yes ! \:D

One pond in need of renovation is a little over 1 acre the rest are larger.
Yes,at full pool Im about an acre but in Texas that aint often enough.
No. 2 acres.
Yes x 2 - 0.9 and 0.45 acre.
Young pup!
No. 2.5 acres.
no
No, 20 acres and 8 acres
cecil, you should know better, most folks here cant answer just a simple yes or no

yup.....same pond, 0.9 in winter and spring

to 0.6 summer and fall

scary huh?
my pond is about 1 acre and my dock is on piers, this is the second winter, and i haven't had any problems with it.
NOPE
<whisper>12 acres</whisper>
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Young pup!

Young pup old brain. Ask Bill Cody he'll tell ya.
I have 2 ponds under 1 acre and 2 over.
yes
yes,

and

no.

Bing
nope
One over - one under....
One 1.5 acres, two just under .5 acres

GaryTexas
Yes
Yes, at .3 acres here in New Hampshire.

BTW, very interested in your blocking net, Cecil. I just bought a 70' wide 12' high net from Sterling Net. 3/4 inch mesh. Found 'em on the web. The net's going to be used for seining & sampling. But blocking is interesting... Good luck. Great to read your posts.
One over, 2 under and 4 small water holes.
Yes and no.
I've only owned the land since this past October, and when I was scouting the land and taking measurements in August-October the pond was about .9 acres, but after the wet winter, it is now about 1.85 acres. It has doubled in size (it is a groundwater pond, btw).
Cecil, this would have been great as a full pole. With selections of say:

Up to 1 acre

1 to 3 acres

3 to 5 acres

5 to 10 acres

Over 10 acres

It would be real interesting (at least in my opinion) to see what sizes peoples ponds are.
JEFF, I will hijack your thread a moment. Lusk is planning a reader survey to be published I think this year in Pond Boss magazine. It will probably include pond size. Results will be interesting. -B.Cody

I know that was not the purpose of your post but I think that you are on to something here.

Anyhoo, my answer is no.

Full pool I'm at about 2.8 acres.

Low pool I'm at about 1.8 to 2.0 acres.

This past drought year probably about 1.7 acres (DIED's pond and mine dropped about 6-7 verticle feet!)

No, about 10.5 acres.
One half acre -- high water or low water.
Vertical sides, Cat?
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Vertical sides, Cat?

Darn close to vertical everywhere but at the dam. The depth at water's edge most places is 12 to 18 inches.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Doing a Poll: How many have a pond 1 acre or l - 02/01/08 07:52 PM
No (13.5 ac.)
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Cecil, this would have been great as a full pole. With selections of say:

Up to 1 acre

1 to 3 acres

3 to 5 acres

5 to 10 acres

Over 10 acres

It would be real interesting (at least in my opinion) to see what sizes peoples ponds are.

I know that was not the purpose of your post but I think that you are on to something here.

Anyhoo, my answer is no.

Full pool I'm at about 2.8 acres.

Low pool I'm at about 1.8 to 2.0 acres.

This past drought year probably about 1.7 acres (DIED's pond and mine dropped about 6-7 verticle feet!)

I agree. Too bad there isn't a poll option here. On many of the websites I frequent they have a way of constructing a poll.
Both ponds less than 1 acre.

As I mentioned in an Edit of Jeff's post above, Lusk is planning a reader survey for I think 2008 in the PBoss magazine. The questions will probably include pond size. Survey results will be interesting.

Bill,

Good deal although typically returns on mail in surveys are quite low. I forget what the percentage is but it's quite low.
If memory serves me right PB had a mail in survey a few years ago. I'll bet it had a high response %. I believe PB subscribers are such an interested bunch that surveys get a huge response.

I also remember Lusk once ask for readers to respond "why should your pond be included in an upcoming "World Tour". I know that one had good responses.

Bing
I have no doubt readers are well intended but it's human to forget or put something off. I'd be curious as to what the response rate was.
Less than 1/8 acre (4' max depth)
.85 acres (trout pond, 6' max)
1.3 acres (6' max)
2 acres (6' max)
3.25 acres (12' max)
25.08 acres (44' max)

Cecil,
As much as I would want to fill out a mail survey, I probably wouldnt, and if I did it would probably be late. I would fill out an online survey probably the same day I received it.
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
...I would fill out an online survey probably the same day I received it.

test ;\) \:\)
Yes
JHAP,your suvey idea looks real good.As soon as its complete I'll know where Im going fishing this summer
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
JHAP,your suvey idea looks real good.As soon as its complete I'll know where Im going fishing this summer

Yeah I want to know who's got the biggest fish and when they will NOT be home. \:D \:D \:D

Cody comment. Hey topic starter - keep the topic on the subject. I recall someone requested to answer with a "A simple yes or no will suffice." LOL
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
As I mentioned in an Edit of Jeff's post above....

Jeez, I'm glad you stated that you edited my post.

I thought for a brief moment that I was suffering from a terrible afliction.

The dreaded...

The ever feared...

The most regretable....

"Condello Syndrome"
Quick! Measure your arms and see if they're growing longer!
Yes...1/2 acre
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Yeah I want to know who's got the biggest fish and when they will NOT be home. \:D \:D \:D

Cody comment. Hey topic starter - keep the topic on the subject. I recall someone requested to answer with a "A simple yes or no will suffice." LOL

Hey Cody I brought this thread into the world and I can take it out! \:D

CB1, You don't have to remove it. Survey is good. Its just all the banter and off topic discussion gets in the way of scanning the topic for the results of a very good survey.
Yes. One 0.25ac the other 0.13ac.
No. 37ac
0.70139 acre, + or - a couple thousand square ft. Bill Cody, without all the off topic comments and banter, you would be posting to yourself. Yuk, Yuk.
Yes, 1/2 acre. No problems with ice and my dock either.
My two are mostly under 1 acre, except in spring when one grows. In fall it is closer to 500sq ft.
I would think that you won't have a problem with ice pushing on those piers BUT you might have a problem with the ice grabbing them and lifting if the water rises after the pond freezes. Around here this happens to decks when they are on sono-tubes. Cover the rough concrete piers with something that the ice can either slide up, or grab and lift without moving the pier behind it.
Yes and no. 1 pond, .25 acre, 1 pond .4 acre, and 1 pond 4 acres.
No piers......yet
One under, one over.

Got the bridge (steel) piers in the bigger, and the "shelter" will have permanent legs in the smaller (already installe). Both light gauge steel, from metal shelving. Never hadda problem with either set.

Now, the floating dock...it's blown up on shore right now sitting in the emergency spillway, bending over my wood duck box and maybe gonna block the overflow pipe. Permanent structures seem to be more my speed...
I just bought some land this week that has two ponds on it that are less than one acre.

Hey Cody I brought this thread into the world and I can take it out! \:D

CB1, You don't have to remove it. Survey is good. Its just all the banter and off topic discussion gets in the way of scanning the topic for the results of a very good survey.

Bill,

Lighten up. I was only kidding! \:D \:D \:D

BTW Bill, what do you think of the price of tea in China lately? ;\)
I,ve got a 1/4 acre hole dug last Sept that is now 3/4 full Bob-O
Yes, right at 1 acre with a dock, new in spring of 07.
10 acres
1 A.
25 acres.
4.5 acres
.7 acres and I drove landscape timbers for pilings...Two years and fine
Hasn't changed. My pond has real steep banks. Half-acre -- almost exactly, always. 140 x 160 feet during high water, low water, spring, summer, autumn, or winter.

Some fish get bigger. Some stay small. Still, the same old total fish weight per acre.
I have a 1/4 pond. Loaded with CNBG.
4 ponds - 2 are 5 acres each & 26' at deepest spots, 1 is 1/4 acre (forage), and newest pond is 70'x120' & 8' deep
1/3 acre, 150x100
Yes. ~.6 acre
Uh, not sure this is still relevant as this survey originated a year ago - sorry I missed it...[A simple yes or no will suffice?-fat chance!]

2.0 surface acres when full. 18 ft deepest area.
7 - yes; 1 - no

Mongo
Yes, .75 acre.
Yes - .67 acres best guess

FH
Yes. .1 acre maybe. also a 1.4 acre pond.
Nope.

4+ acres
Yes.

several under one acre, and one over
Yes. One under one acre.
I be under 1 acre
3/4 acre or so here...
© Pond Boss Forum