Pond Boss
Posted By: Dewayne New to this Pond thing. - 06/06/07 08:16 PM
Just bought a small farm in TN. it's got about a 3/4 acre pond on it , water level is dropping about 1 ft every 2 - 3 weeks, not sure if it's got a leak or just so dry here in TN. for last couple of years , How can i find out if it's a leak or just the dry ground sucking the water out?
New to this site , but I'm really amazed at the info all the folks on this site give. Great site and really smart folks on this site ,, Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/06/07 09:04 PM
That's not too unusual in hot and dry times. More than likely, evaporation is a big contributor.
Posted By: Michael Gray Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/07/07 01:44 AM
What part of Tennessee are you in?
Posted By: Dewayne Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/08/07 12:12 PM
Kramerode,
I'm in middle TN. area west of Nashville
Posted By: Leipers Fork Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/08/07 07:53 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by midtnvipers:
Kramerode,
I'm in middle TN. area west of Nashville
Middle Tennessean here too. Good luck with your pond.
Posted By: Michael Gray Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/09/07 01:59 AM
I live 4 or 5 miles from Leipers Fork!
Posted By: Michael Gray Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/09/07 02:15 AM
Sorry l got side tracked for a minute midtnviper back to your pond.Sounds like a lot for evaporation, we just finished a 2 acre pond in hickman county and it is just a catch pond, it probably has 2 or 3 foot of water in it and i would say it lost 2 to 4 inches due to evaporation. With all that said it sounds like there is a leak along with the evaporation.
Posted By: Dewayne Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/11/07 02:02 PM
Well took the advice of the local co-op owner and ventured around the county and checked out other lakes and feel somewhat better . never seen so many lakes and small ponds water levels so low , seen several that were down anywhere from 3 - 4 1/2' below normal.We did have a good little rain the other evening and went out to my lake about 2 hrs later and could still kick up dust on banks of the lake , guess it's just to dag gum dry ,, someone send some rain our way.
Posted By: Dewayne Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/11/07 02:08 PM
well now that i'll have to watch that little lake , i need some advice on the smaller water hole, it's at the edge of the woods and it has over the years built up leaves in the bottom of it. the people that owned this place before didn't work with it like they did the bigger pond. Any advice of cleaning the bottom without having to drain and clean.It's about a 30' x 75' water hole , but has a few good fish in it. Any advice appreciated.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: New to this Pond thing. - 06/11/07 02:41 PM
Look under aeration, specifically the bottom diffuser type to help reduce muck build up.
© Pond Boss Forum