Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame when to put out burmuda grass seed E Texas - 03/13/19 03:14 PM
Need a refresher on when to put out more bermuda grass seed in my east Texas area? I know it is coming up soon. I still have clay areas around my pond that really need covering to help more with muddy water problem. I may need to get a order in with my feed store to get it here in time. Please advise. Thanks
Need soil temperatures in the upper 60s or low 70s.
Flame, if you are putting it on a slope around the pond. I found if you lightly sprinkle some hay on top of the dirt that is seeded it helps hole the seed in place so it does not all wash off into the pond. The second tip is to keep the ground moist until the seed germinates and the grass is up and growing. I put a sprinkler out and watered 10 minutes two to three times a day.
Be advised that there is Fall seed and Spring seed. The Spring seed is hulled and coated with a hydrophilic substance. Fall seed will also be old by now. I wouldn't put it down until mid May.
Posted By: Flame Re: when to put out burmuda grass seed E Texas - 03/13/19 07:18 PM
Joe, I know we talked about it a while back at your place. Did you sprinkle the hay down on the bare clay first? and then sprinkled the seed over the hay?
Bermuda is best propagated by sprigs or sod plugs. Seeds are not nearly as successful, at least not here.
James, I put the seed down first and lightly covered the bare ground.
© Pond Boss Forum