Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 02:09 AM
I have a very small pond above my main pond. It had a seep spring that kept it moist even during the dryest summers. I cleaned it out with a backhoe to try to open up the spring and the water started running backwards. This "diverted" a significant amount of water from my main pond. I decided to give bentonite a try. All I did was dump the bags and rake the stuff more or less level. I went there this weekend and water is standing on top of the bentonite.

I have tried it on 3 other ponds with a sandy bottom. I've followed directions and tilled and disked it in to no avail. I believe, I'll dig or hoe out all of the grasses that have grown up in the bottom and just dump the bags. Heck, it just might work.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 02:16 AM
Wishing you luck Dave, you're due.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 02:30 AM
Good news, DD.
Posted By: Tentmaker Farm Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 02:58 AM
Dave,

I have used it with good luck on one pond. Find the leak, till it in if possible and most important put a thick layer on top. If the rain stays like this no one in our part of Texas will have to worry about pond leaks!!! Good Luck
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 03:09 AM
Hey DJ, we have a 40% chance 2 days this coming week. Of course, I've been there and done that.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 07:05 AM
Great news DD! I have been thinking about a post a while back, by someone that just sprinkled some on a wall in a ditch he was digging and it stopped it from leaking.

Quote:
Hey DJ, we have a 40% chance 2 days this coming week.
I have decided that weathermen are the worst at figuring percentages on the planet. I have been through 5000% chances of rain in the last 4 months with only 2 small rains. :rolleyes: :p
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 01:38 PM
PFF, I recall that you used bentonite. Has it seemed to work for you?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Bentonite worked! - 03/06/06 03:20 PM
Dave- I still only have a puddle in the bottom of my pond. The puddle is holding up very well if that tells you anything. I'm not doing too well. I go out there every day and try to imagine what it will look like full of water. I can almost see the water going over the spillway and backed up the creek. I need some patience. The world of computers has me used to things happening right now and this avocation moves at a snails pace. ;\)
© Pond Boss Forum