Pond Boss
Posted By: icebox12386 Clay Content - 04/27/17 01:15 PM
Hello Everyone, I am a new poster, but read this forum all of the time. Hoping to get some expert opinions from all of you. I just recently had NRCS come out and do some soil test to determine clay content. I am still waiting on those results, but based on their WebSurvey tool it appears where I am hoping to locate my pond is half Myatt fine sandy loam which is 21.8% clay and the other half is Prentiss Fine Sandy Loam and has 16% clay. In your opinion do you believe I can successfully build a pond that will retain water without adding additional clay or Some type of liner based on these percentages?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Clay Content - 04/27/17 01:48 PM
One of my ponds is in 90% plus clay and doesn't hold completely. It depends on compaction. Mine wasn't well compacted. At least have it compacted with a heavy wheeled vehicle. I cannot speak on your clay.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Clay Content - 04/27/17 04:02 PM
I don't know enough about different soil types. However, Mike Otto told me to make a ball of my soil and throw it against the side of my pickup. If it busts into little pieces, it probably doesn't have enough clay. I think you could make a ball and just drop it a couple of times to see I it has enough plasticity.
© Pond Boss Forum