Pond Boss
Posted By: b767heavy DB-110 - 03/12/14 05:29 PM
Ive read a lot about DB-100, but was wondering if there are any recent observations and successes with DB-110. I have a new dug pond and it is leaking.. The soil I dug the pond in is clay so I dont really understand why the leak. Maybe this is somewhat normal for a new pond but I want to solve it ASAP.
Posted By: esshup Re: DB-110 - 03/12/14 05:30 PM
How was the clay bottom compacted?
Posted By: b767heavy Re: DB-110 - 03/13/14 07:19 PM
It was not compacted, because it was extremely difficult to dig, didnt think it was necessary.
Posted By: loretta Re: DB-110 - 03/13/14 07:51 PM
What was the soil dry when it was dug, like in a drought? Maybe it's not leaking but soaking in? Some clays can hold a lot of water. There are different kinds of clay too, do you know what kind you have?
Posted By: b767heavy Re: DB-110 - 03/15/14 07:20 PM
Thanks for the response. Im not sure what sort of clay it is, but yes it was drought when we dug it out. Maybe your right and it is soaking in. Im just very surprised at the amount of water that it takes. Im really hoping that in the next few weeks as the snow melts and the ground around gets saturated will make a big difference. Im also planning on getting more runoff from my property routed to the pond.
Posted By: snrub Re: DB-110 - 03/15/14 07:44 PM
Local contractors and NRCS guy recomended I wait to build my dam when we were in middle of drought. Both said would have trouble getting proper compaction. And our soils have adequate clay to make pond building pretty easy.

I would not panic though. Give it some time.
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 04/18/14 01:59 AM
b767heavy
Any updates on your pond ?
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/09/14 02:47 AM
After re-doing my pond......... Re-coring the dam, removing all large rocks from the bottom and compacting it with a sheepsfoot, it looked like somehow I still had a small leak right behind the dam.
I would say it was running like 1/2 a kitchen faucet
Sort of knowing where it was coming from I bought two pails of db-200
I applied it with a small seed spreader for the most part and where I had my strongest suspicions I went a little heaver
Sure enough when I checked it the next weekend I saw no visible leaks behind the dam
That was only I pail I still have one more
Posted By: esshup Re: DB-110 - 05/09/14 04:23 AM
When did you apply it?
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/14/14 01:23 AM
I applied it a few weeks ago around the 19 of April
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/14/14 01:38 AM
Also did a bucket test with it
It's pretty amazing stuff
I don't see why the company wouldn't give out small samples for testing purposes

All I used was a table spoon full in a 5gallon bucket
It seamed to me like it mixed in with the existing clay particles and formed some sort of slimy clay infused membrane
Maybe I'll poke a few holes through the the soil in the bucket to see if it reseals

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/14/14 02:54 AM
Leak before and after

The pond just filled and I noticed a bunch of saturated leaves behind the dam
Under the leaves noticed water running about a kitchen faucet set half way
Been reading about db200 on the forum I always wanted to try it
So i bit the bullet and bought 2 pails for a total of $600 with shipping
Almost knowing where the leak was coming from I applied DB200 with a seed spreader along the base of the dam all the way up to the waterline
When I checked on it a week later it was completely dried up

One question I have...... once in a while I get a string of bubbles rising to the surface in a few areas
Can it be the ground still saturating itself
I was thinking of spot treating those areas with my remaining pail of db200

Description: Rear of dam

Description: Rear of dam

Description: Leak

Description: After treatment db200

Description: Full pool
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: DB-110 - 05/14/14 03:03 AM
I myself kinda think of this like those old cartoons where they'd stick buble gum over a leak then it'd leak again.. I can't see how anything on the dry side of the pond would actually fully seal up a leak maybe on the water side but not on the dry side.. just my opinion
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/14/14 03:43 PM
Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself properly
I spread the DB 200 in the water on the inside of the dam

Bubblegum? May be a possibility
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: DB-110 - 05/15/14 10:57 AM
Do you have fish in there? Keep us posted on progress vs time.
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 05/15/14 11:14 AM
I actually stocked it on Monday
Bought a package from zettsfish.com
Complete farm stocking#6
Had everything I wanted

Going up to the house this evening, hopefully it's holding like my bathtub

Looks like we going to get 3 inches of rain Friday evening

The way I'm looking at it is the more rain we get more it seals itself
We've had a great spring with a ton of water
Posted By: b767heavy Re: DB-110 - 05/31/14 07:17 PM
Hows the pond holding up?
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: DB-110 - 06/02/14 09:15 PM
So far so good
As of now it hasn't rained in 2 weeks, water stopped running into the pond last week.
My neighbor called me today and said the water was up to the pipe
So it looks like it's holding
Posted By: b767heavy Re: DB-110 - 06/03/14 10:57 AM
That's great news. I can't wait to try that on my new pond. It was full earlier this spring but it is down again. Im hoping soon that it will stabilize so I can determine where the leak is. Very very frustrating. As the water recedes it looks as though the bottom is a great impermeable soil, but maybe it has a hole, like an old spring or something.
Posted By: SoSauty Re: DB-110 - 08/20/14 03:55 PM
I applied both the DB liquid and granuals to a very leaky sandy pond several years ago. In looking back, the dam was pretty sandy and to get that minimally clayey sand, had to be dug down to the rock. In a miscommunication with a contractor, he pushed it down while I was out of state, so I wasn't able to follow up report on the DB.

But, what I did notice was a certain clearing of the water following application. I do believe it attaches to the clay particles in the water and settles them, which has to be helpful. I can't verify this, but seems if water is always seeping away from the pond, some of those settled clay particles will find their way to plugging tiny passages. I wouldn't expect it to help with a singular moderate or large leak, but would help with seeping over a broader area.
© Pond Boss Forum