Pond Boss
Posted By: The bing Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/11/12 04:27 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to build a number of ponds in Hawaii on volcanic soil. However, I'm concerned that even after thorough compaction and the addition of clay that they will still leak. I don't want to use cement for a number of reasons. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do about building these ponds?

Thanks much

Matt
Posted By: esshup Re: Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/11/12 07:51 PM
Matt:

Welcome to the forum. What size will the ponds be? What are the goals/plans for the ponds? Have you looked into EDPM liners?
Posted By: The bing Re: Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/12/12 03:43 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

I plan to build a water landscape, see Tamera (www.tamera.org/index.php?id=1&L=0) for more information on what they have done. I hope to use the water as a microclimate creator, habitat builder and to irrigate my gardens. I havent heard of EDPM liners, will check those out.
Posted By: esshup Re: Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/12/12 04:01 AM
If you decide to go the liner route, just be aware that the roofing liners that the big box stores sell are the same thing. I believe it was Cecil that either bought one or saw one and even tho it's not advertised as being for ponds, it was the same material (and thickness - thicker is better).

When using a liner, debris free sand should be spread out first before the liner is laid down to prevent any rocks or sticks from poking a hole in it. Just like you would do for a swimming pool.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/12/12 01:26 PM
As far ad EDPM liners, I have always been told that the pond-worthy versions of these lack some of the stabilizing chemicals that the roofing liners contain which may be toxic to fish. Perhaps this is false in order to drive up costs of liners sold for pond use?
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Volcanic soil/ clay pond - 07/14/12 12:54 AM
Hey TB, What island you on? I'm guessing the BI. I'm on Oahu. I'll be digging a 1/10 to 2/10 acre grow out pond when the dozer gets back from the shop. I know a Waialua farmer that has built a few resevoirs w/o liners. Have you done a bucket test with your clay?
© Pond Boss Forum