Pond Boss
Posted By: jason7858 Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 04/27/11 10:58 PM
Quick question concerning a pasture I have. It represents most of my runoff. I only have about 3 to 1 runoff ratio. I pump water to supplement and it's filling up ok now that we've had all this rain but the pasture currently has alfalfa planted that we bale. It's only about 2 acres. Would I be better off planting grass or something else and mowing it? Or would it not make much difference? Thanks.
Posted By: esshup Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 04/28/11 03:21 PM
I don't think it would make much difference. You will probably get grass growing in the alfalfa shortly.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 04/29/11 01:21 AM
Been a long, long, time since I was around alfalfa. Doesn't it have more stems than bermuda? It seems that bermuda would restrict flow by matting up more.
Posted By: jason7858 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 04/29/11 01:30 PM
well i dont know really...alfalfa has bigger stems but it is spread out more than grass but it gets tall in between cuts so i thought maybe it might be better to just keep it cut all year round and forget about the alfalfa...but if its not going to make much difference ill keep it...its for my wifes horses and you dont want to mess with my wifes horses smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 04/30/11 02:03 PM
The green alfalfa doesn't bloat them? It does on cows. Maybe a horse disposes of it quicker.
Posted By: jason7858 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 05/01/11 01:05 AM
no they do pretty good on it but i dont know a lot about them...i prefer my 4 wheeler...put gas in it and go and if i wreck its my own fault...i dont like to ride things that can think for themselves smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 05/01/11 11:46 AM
One of my happiest days was when I sold the horses(hay burners) and bought 4 wheelers.
Posted By: jason7858 Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 05/02/11 06:05 PM
I would GIVE ours away in a minute. smile
Posted By: jludwig Re: Best Vegetation Type For Runoff - 05/21/11 05:13 PM
Bermuda grows out more than alfalfa. You can see this when the two are freshly planted. Bermuda sends out runners to cover more ground but alfalfa grows more up. Or go look at two fields of each that are freshly cut.
© Pond Boss Forum