Pond Boss
Posted By: volsmzp1 brand new pond won't hold water - 02/12/10 02:31 AM
If anyone can answer that would be great. I understand completly about ponds draining due to the wrong soil, but do newly filled ponds take some time to let sediment settle which will help hold water?

I have a brand new pond that is all clay (Tennessee soil. There has been significant rainfall which has filled the pond. It has drained about 2 feet, then the rain filled it back again. It has now drained another foot or so.

any thoughts?
Posted By: esshup Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 02/12/10 02:37 AM
Well, first off, welcome to PB!

There could be 2 answers.
1)The new soil needs time to soak up water until it won't hold any more.
2) Somewhere, somehow when the pond was dug there is a permeable layer or vein of permeable soil, letting the water out.

The usual procedure for making sure the pond is sealed is compacting clay into the pond with a sheepsfoot roller in 6" lifts until you've compacted 24" of clay.

If this continues to happen, and only goes down 24" from full pool, then I'd concentrate my search right around the 24" mark. It could be lower than that, and stops leaking once the water pressure is lowered.

I'd wait for a while before I start panicking.
Posted By: The Pond Frog Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 02/12/10 03:16 AM
Over what time line are these water level drops occuring? Does it drop to a certain level and then slowdown or stop? Did you do any compacting or work before it filled?
Posted By: scott69 Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 02/12/10 01:13 PM
after my pond filled the first time, it would drop about 4" in between rains. it was easy to see the water wicking its way up the banks. once the earth was saturated, it has never fell below fool pool. even during the driest times last year i always had water coming out of the pipe..

is your pond fed by a stream?
Posted By: otto Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 02/12/10 04:00 PM
Keep an eye on the level, see what it does before you spend any money. Some ponds take a few fillings before they stay full.

Keep us posted.
Posted By: volsmzp1 Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 04/16/11 02:20 AM
still having trouble with this pond. In researching on the web, it seems as if sodium bentonite may solve the problme, however I can't find any near Chattanooga TN. Anyone know where to buy it?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 04/18/11 11:38 AM
Bentonite needs to be tilled into the soil. Is your pond dry?
Posted By: volsmzp1 Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 04/18/11 04:52 PM
pond is currently dry, because of recent heavy rainfall. However, it will be dry in the next couple of weeks.
Posted By: charles s Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 04/19/11 12:39 AM
wal-mart brand kitty litter contains bentonite clay $3 /25 lbs.
Posted By: Michael Gray Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 04/20/11 07:37 PM
Co-op normally has it but clay is a better way to go.

www.grayconstruction.net
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: brand new pond won't hold water - 10/18/12 12:40 AM
just wanted to follow up to see if your pond is now holding water
if so did you do anything to fix it?
© Pond Boss Forum