Pond Boss
Posted By: bikerider Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/08/19 07:58 PM
I'm using an oval stock stank as a garden pond, roughly 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. I have the top open currently. I have a marginal plant on a pretty solid base. Two nights in a row the marginal plant and base were completely knocked over by (I'm guessing a raccoon or a neighborhood cat) so I think it's time for a protective covering over the top so I don't lose my fish. What would be best? Perhaps a rigid mesh so that the animal can't push through or get to the water?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/08/19 11:07 PM
Expanded metal?
Posted By: bikerider Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/09/19 05:56 AM
I don't see why that wouldn't work. I could cut it to the shape of the pond and I doubt animal would collapse it. I took a look around at lowes the other night but I must have missed it. The only thing I wonder about is whether it would rust and end up getting in the pond?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/09/19 12:28 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is checking at the local farm store for some poultry wire fencing. You could go as cheap as chicken wire and wire tie it to a cut-to-fit cattle panel. You might have $50 dollars in it. I know the cattle panels can be bought galvanized.

Light duty (cheaper) expanded metal may still be kinda flimsy and need some sort of reinforcements, but would certainly look more professional.
Posted By: bikerider Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/09/19 06:24 PM
You mean a cattle panel like this, correct? It must be pretty rigid. But I like that I could layer the two together to keep the raccoons from reaching into the pond too.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ok-brand-handy-panel-8-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_vc=IOPDP1
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/09/19 07:57 PM
Your link did not work for me, but the "OK brand handy panel" is what I was talking about. The panel would be the support that the flexible fencing/chicken wire would need. Typically, the cattle panels are made from about 1/4" rod...pretty stiff and would work well for a 3'X 5' cover.
Posted By: bikerider Re: Covering/Netting for Pond? - 09/10/19 05:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Your link did not work for me, but the "OK brand handy panel" is what I was talking about. The panel would be the support that the flexible fencing/chicken wire would need. Typically, the cattle panels are made from about 1/4" rod...pretty stiff and would work well for a 3'X 5' cover.

That sounds like a great plan to me. I will pick both of those up and cut them to fit the edge of the pond. I might anchor the outside edge with rocks to make it look better too. Thank you for your help. I'll post a picture when I'm done.
© Pond Boss Forum