Pond Boss
Posted By: Snooter Heron Problem - 08/11/19 03:09 PM
Just stocked my 40' x 60' pond with 25 rainbow trout. I have lost 3 to a Heron this week. I purchased a decoy owl and that has not kept him away. Just looking for suggestions.
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Heron Problem - 08/11/19 03:32 PM
I had success using scare eye balloons. They didn't work on Egrets, but did for GBH. Good luck!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Heron Problem - 08/11/19 03:51 PM
I spook them off with .22lr rounds every time I catch one hanging around.
Posted By: Zep Re: Heron Problem - 08/11/19 08:36 PM
I would say the bird-away reflective tape has worked relatively well for me. Not 100% effective, but a major difference. I tie it to trees, patio furniture, porch posts, docks. Way fewer herons and water-turkey.

Bird Away Reflective Tape
Posted By: Tbar Re: Heron Problem - 08/11/19 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
I would say the bird-away reflective tape has worked relatively well for me. Not 100% effective, but a major difference. I tie it to trees, patio furniture, porch posts, docks. Way fewer herons and water-turkey.

I will have to try some of that........
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Heron Problem - 08/12/19 09:00 AM
Just ordered the bird reflective tape for next years cormorant season. Also will install my owl decoy.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Heron Problem - 08/12/19 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

3S technique?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Heron Problem - 08/12/19 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

3S technique?

Nah, just spook them off and make them think they might get shot. Wife says I can't use the 3S technique.
Posted By: Augie Re: Heron Problem - 08/12/19 05:14 PM
Wife says I can't use the 3S technique.

If wife knows you're only using 2S technique...
Posted By: Shorty Re: Heron Problem - 08/12/19 05:32 PM
They wife took her shotgun to the pond a couple of weeks ago to spook off a really young and dumb GBH, my .22lr shots didn't seem to bother him, he would leave but come back right away. He finally left for good when one of my dogs about caught him.
Posted By: Freg Re: Heron Problem - 08/13/19 09:28 AM
I was getting frequent visits from blue herons until I put up a coyote decoy and haven't seen one since. I'm not sure that the decoy is 100% responsible, since I have seen a green heron since and the local racoons certainly aren't afraid of it but it seems to work.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 01:43 AM
mad

Attached picture IMG_1635.jpg
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 02:59 AM
My dog thinks she is the protector of the pond. No bird is safe. It’s funny when I get home and she is asleep on the porch she pops up when she hears me and immediately runs down to the pond barking as if to hide the fact that she was sleeping on the job. Kind of stinks she chases off ducks as well.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 06:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep

Funny thing, worked well for me one year and not at all the next!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 06:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Snooter
Just stocked my 40' x 60' pond with 25 rainbow trout. I have lost 3 to a Heron this week. I purchased a decoy owl and that has not kept him away. Just looking for suggestions.

You might try feeding them at night to see if it makes any difference,.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
My dog thinks she is the protector of the pond. No bird is safe. It’s funny when I get home and she is asleep on the porch she pops up when she hears me and immediately runs down to the pond barking as if to hide the fact that she was sleeping on the job. Kind of stinks she chases off ducks as well.

That's funny smile When my golden is with me and if any bird comes to eat at the pond, I tell him "THAT BIRD is eating my fish" . He starts off growling at the bird and then takes off as fast as he can to get the bird. smile
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

3S technique?

Shoot, shovel, shut up.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 03:52 PM

+1 I have also "pellet trained" the GBH that show up at our place with 22lr. It's easy. Just drop a pellet a foot or so from their feet and they leave in a hurry. I did have a dumb one that just flew to the other side of the pond but the second pellet convinced him. grin
Posted By: RStringer Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 04:17 PM
Just curious if they are any good to eat. I'm not sure if it's legal or not (your property your business) that I care. Just wouldn't want to encourage it if it isn't. They damn sure don't seem to be going extinct in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Heron Problem - 10/02/19 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: RStringer
Just curious if they are any good to eat. I'm not sure if it's legal or not (your property your business) that I care. Just wouldn't want to encourage it if it isn't. They damn sure don't seem to be going extinct in my neck of the woods.

Cross between cormorant and owl I think
Posted By: anthropic Re: Heron Problem - 10/03/19 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Originally Posted By: RStringer

Cross between cormorant and owl I think

With just a touch of whooping crane aftertaste.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Heron Problem - 10/03/19 01:25 AM
Tell ya all the truth I'm not sure what we have here. They got long ol necks on them.
© Pond Boss Forum