Pond Boss
I joined this forum, a few years ago and was never really able to research or look up things on here, at the time I was just day dreaming, and looking for sites, that provided good resources for future questions regarding pond builds.

-I recently closed on a property with a few acres of land in Highland County FL

-I keep and breed a few species of turtles and lizards and it has always been my goal to provide some of my animals big naturalistic setups outside. I have seen a few turtle breeders setups here in florida whom setup pond liners with a "stand pipe" through the liner? Is there an actual name for this style of setup of pond?

I would like to setup individual ponds for individual species of turtles I keep. The soil here looks to be sandy, I have well water w/a pump. What do you guys suggest? I live outside the city limits, do I Just dig a hole and see if I hit water? do I do a test run, and dig a hole, and try to fill it up with water? Do you think I'll need a liner? I really cant put down all my thoughts and questions on to here, but basically, I want to do individual ponds, whether liners or natural, I want to setup a trickle system (maybe not a trickle, but enough water to keep it from getting super cold,) I keep certain species of turtles that cant handle the cold. I'm rambling, but if anyone can give me any pointers, or point me to the right links I can read up on that would be great.

I'll try to comeback with a game plan, I'll make time to read some posts, and hopefully within the coming weeks, i'll have a better example of what I'm trying to convey, and the questions/concerns I have.

Thanks
Welcome back Raul. Never thought of turtle ponds. My immediate thought is that they like to roam a lot. Some type of fence would be needed. At any time I will have between two and ten at my place.
These are not my photos but photos of a breedres setup.. do you see how they have the drain/stand pipe. I bascially want to copy this, but wanted to know if there is anything I should be worried about, or anything to consider.

g"/></a>

Raul
Here is a dumb question, why are you raising turtles? Is there a market for them?
Or just for fun
© Pond Boss Forum