Pond Boss
Hoping for some insight on this topic:

Having ponds fairly close to my house, I am thinking of growing some leafy greens using one of them, as in Kale, Collards, and /or Spinach.

I would use a 4x8 sheet of high density foam with 2 inch or 3 inch holes cut for net pots and stick the pots in the holes with a bit of growing medium and the started plants.

This would hopefully keep deer away from the veggies as I don't think they like to wade that deep or swim for food.

I am thinking of using my small (40 x 50 foot x 4' deep) FHM pond for this. The pond is seemingly rich in nutrients and always has a good plankton bloom. The raft would also double as FHM spawning substrate.

I thought I would tie off the sheet on two sides so it would remain near the center of the pond. Will I need to weight it more or would surface tension prevent it from flipping over in the wind?

Has anyone on here tried this method?
I'm doing the same thing. I recommend you do a quick search on hydroponics and aquaponics. You'll find plenty of ideas and best practices. You'll want to engineer a way to cover it and protect it from birds and other critters while still allowing insects for veggies that need pollination. Growing baskets are inexpensive upgrades. Soil-less ceramic medium can be used.

It's also a great "add" for a pond that has high nutrient load. That's what got me started on planted islands myself.
Sounds like some interesting projects.

Keep us up to date and pictures.
© Pond Boss Forum