Pond Boss
Posted By: pondmama Pollen or BG Algae?? - 06/28/17 12:07 AM
Hi! I am a new pond owner and have a LOT to learn. We moved into a house with an established pond (maybe about 1/2 acre?). I have been working on cleaning it up-there are/were a lot of weeds, algae, and muck. Last week I felt like it was getting "there". THen we had heavy rain over the weekend and by Sunday the pond surface was covered with this filmy stuff. Now it seems to have a whitish color, but has looked greenish and brownish. I have been trying to research what it is and two answers pop up---pollen or BG algae.

How do I know which and what do I do??? Help!! TIA.

Attached picture IMG_3974 (1).JPG
Attached picture IMG_3973.JPG
Posted By: LarryHale Re: Pollen or BG Algae?? - 06/28/17 12:42 AM
pondmama, if possible take a close-up of what you're asking about. It will help the experts in diagnosing what you're dealing with.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Pollen or BG Algae?? - 06/28/17 02:53 AM
If you could take some out and photograph it really up close against a contrasting background it would be helpful.
Posted By: pondmama Re: Pollen or BG Algae?? - 06/28/17 10:37 AM
Ok, I will take a close up after the fog comes off the pond. I can't really take any out....I can't grab it. When I put my hand in the water it swirls away. I will try see if I can get it on something.
Posted By: pondmama Re: Pollen or BG Algae?? - 07/03/17 03:22 PM
I went out that day and it was gone. It seems to do this every time it rains. A day or two later it will have this surface stuff that usually goes away on its own with the week. Is there anything I can do about it?
© Pond Boss Forum