Pond Boss
Posted By: wpr100 Reducing weeds around pond - 04/19/15 07:06 PM
We had a pond redug 4 or 5 years ago and then had it stocked the following year. All is going well with one exception. We have too many weeds around the perimeter of the pond instead of good healthy grass. We have fescue growing well, but there are a large number of dandelions, crab grass and a number of other weeds. I think the weeds have the upper hand. I was about to use Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed, but label says not to use it within 25 ft of a pond.

Anyone have another suggestion? I would hate to kill all the existing grass by large scale spraying with a herbicide that is safe for the pond (e.g., Glyphosate) and there are too many weeds to spot spray. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Posted By: snrub Re: Reducing weeds around pond - 04/19/15 07:21 PM
If you kill the fescue, you will definitely have more weeds to deal with. They will come back like gangbusters with no competition from the grass. Generally fescue will crowd out most annuals if it is a thick, healthy stand. The perennials I don't know about because dandelions are just a way of life here.

You might actually try fertilizing it and if the fescue is thin topdressing with some more seed. Healthy grass is a good step towards choking out weeds. If you do fertilize, try to time it such that the fertilizer stays put with a gentle rain and actually goes down into the ground. Don't want to put it on and have it all washed into the pond with a heavy rain.
Posted By: wpr100 Re: Reducing weeds around pond - 04/21/15 09:59 AM
Roger on the fertilizer. I have been hesitant to use any that close to the pond. I can certainly sew more fescue seed.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Reducing weeds around pond - 04/21/15 11:31 AM
I use a product called Par3 and over seed right away. A nice sand peat-moss mix works great in the areas you need to fill and level.

Here in Ontario I use a blend of three rye grasses. An early, mid season, and late season. Green year round.

Find out what your native grass is. All the sod farms around here grow Kentucky blue grass. I could never get this grass to fill in and really choke out the weeds. I found that my native grass is rye and have never had a problem since.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Reducing weeds around pond - 04/22/15 11:44 AM
For anyone that is interested here is ParIII label.

http://www.uap.ca/products/documents/PARIII_E_label_Dec2011.pdf

Stuff works great. Not best to spray on grass that is not one year old. So if you spray then give it a week and over seed. Works for me.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum