Pond Boss
Posted By: Otvorgan Looking for bentonite... - 05/04/14 04:08 PM
What is the easiest way to find a good provider for bentonite clay in Roanoke, VA? I plan to finish my swimming pond next spring, but need to secure a lot of this stuff first... Not gonna waste time with a rubbish plastic liner.
Posted By: esshup Re: Looking for bentonite... - 05/04/14 05:11 PM
Keep us informed as time goes on how the bentonite works. Unless you are tilling it into the ground in the whole basin of the pond, then compacting the basin, past history of people here on the forum is that it doesn't work long term.

The amount of bentonite needed per square foot varies with soil composition.

Check with the well drillers in the area for bentonite. They use it for well drilling to make a slurry to keep sandy soils from collapsing when wells are drilled before the casing is installed.

Depending on the amount needed, you might be able to get pallets shipped in via truck from South Dakota & Wyoming, where it's mined. You are looking for Sodium Bentonite, which expands when it gets wet.
Posted By: Otvorgan Re: Looking for bentonite... - 05/04/14 06:01 PM
Plan is to pack a generous portion of the sodium bentonite (6+ inches minimum) under a foot of packed quality topsoil... Mainly using http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/natural-swimming-pool-zmaz02aszgoe.aspx#axzz2yR9DmsBv for inspiration at the moment... Will continue the search for Bentonite on Monday, there is a well drilling company that will hopefully sell some...

I'll let u guys know how it turns out, until then I'll be back often for more advise lol!
Posted By: scottf92 Re: Looking for bentonite... - 06/02/14 03:09 AM
Try a farm supply store like buckheits or orschelons or just about any of them should carry it or be able to order it by the bag....trucking it in is crazy expensive. I found it at 6.99 a 50lb bag and am trying to line my empty leaking lake with that and clay tomorrow. Good luck!!
Posted By: FlyF Re: Looking for bentonite... - 08/07/14 07:12 PM
Try contacting Imery's, Omya, Texas Bentonite, Speciality Minerals Corporations I believe they all have bentonite orerations.

They are large mining operations and have distributors. I recommend soliciting quotes in supersacks which hold 2,000 pounds and can be open through a draw string at the bottom of the sack. You could have them deliver in pump bulk trucks which could potentially spray push the material where you need it. This will be expensive, but save a lot of time.
© Pond Boss Forum