Pond Boss
Posted By: Rainman It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Cecil is the one that sent me the info, with the sweet words of "here's all you'll ever need"!

Well in all truth I wasn't aware you'd go for it. shocked It doesn't sound too bad though. grin Consider it like a starter home that will take you up to a new one some day. I can only imagine what this would cost brand new. Just the tanks sell for an arm and leg!

I still say if you keep marketing the tilapia for "natural and not toxic control of filamentous algae and a boost for largemouth forage" you could have a gold mine. And since they have to be replanted every year what more could a fish supplier ask for?

I'm looking forward to watching you take off with those tilapia!

A few years ago, Cecil sent me a link to an ugly, old red Ford Live Haul truck originally built for Zett's in PA. My tilapia were starting to become quite popular and I was in need of a larger capacity, so after some soul searching, I changed careers and became a "Live Hauler"!

In the quote above, Cecil suggested I think of the truck like a "starter home", and danged if that isn't just what wound up happening.

That truck did it's job!! Some of the untimely, Murphy's Law breakdowns and long hard hours nearly sunk my often struggling, but always rapidly growing business along the way. One trip, (my first year) it cost me over $20,000 to get out of Memphis. Year 4, I killed over 50 grand in fish. Yet I somehow managed to find a way, often with the help, support and encouragement from my friends here on Pond Boss, I managed to eek out a profit and even grow each consecutive year. Without the folks here, I could have never made it.

So, since Chapter one of this adventure began here, it is fitting Chapter 2 starts here also.

The "Big Red Ugly" with the Bucking Tilapia Logo is being retired to greener pastures as a crane truck to be used in a tree trimming business. I'd like to say I'll miss it, but that would be a lie...lol

Big Blue is being dressed and prepped for a Spring Debut. Sporting 8, 250 gallon tanks and 8, 125 gallon tanks, made entirely of highly insulating, Polyurethane "surfboard" material, 2 large liquid oxygen tanks and a few compressed bottles as back-up, all on a custom fabricated, bright and shiny aluminum bed, my load capacity will be more than tripled. Sporting a new Logo of a hand painted "Flaming Tilapia" a friend painted for me, I am anxious to shake off this Winter's cabin fever and get rolling. I look forward to seeing all of the friends and clients that made this happen, along with meeting many new ones. So far, I am licensed to haul and stock in MO, TN, OK AR, KS, NE, IA, IL, IN, MS, TX, WV, VA, SC, NC, GA, AL, LA, and PA

Attached picture IMAG0375.jpg
Posted By: RER Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 05:43 PM
Sounds awesome and the best of luck this stocking season!
Posted By: R&R Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 05:50 PM
Good for you Rainman. Hopefully I'll meet you one day at my pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 06:10 PM
Good deal Rex. Glad to hear it!
Posted By: RC51 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 07:09 PM
Rex that's awesome!! Keep it up brother your on your way and show us a pic of that truck when its ready!!

Congrats,
RM

RC
Posted By: Bing Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 07:24 PM
Great news brother. Good luck with this new adventure.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 07:44 PM
Nice one!

Now to hire a lobbyist to fix that pesky MO tilapia stocking rule...
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
Nice one!

The DNR is being prodded....
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/16/14 09:12 PM
That's great news, Rex!

I notice that TN is not on the list, and am assuming that you were blackballed by the SPCT*. Hopefully they'll adopt a "forgive and forget" attitude in the near future, and this deficiency can be remedied.

*"Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Trees".
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:05 AM
Yolkie, Tennessee was more than happy to take my name and $500 in exchange for the privilege of driving through, and stocking in your fair state....Oklahoma was also accidentally left from the list.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:15 AM
Rex, you know the drill. Pics or it never happened. That could be just a picture of the new door painting on Old Red! wink grin

Cody said he knows nothing............
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:20 AM
Good news Rex, well done. Hope to see you around these parts again soon.

Rex is actually under some serious scrutiny from the SPCPVC.

*"Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to PVC"
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:36 AM
And a few SpA's...lol
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:50 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Rex, you know the drill. Pics or it never happened. That could be just a picture of the new door painting on Old Red! wink grin

Cody said he knows nothing............

Cody talks too damn much!!
Posted By: Lukkyseven Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 11:29 AM
I wish MD would allow Tilapia.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Lukkyseven

Tilapia are my core fish, but I stock everything.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Lukkyseven

Tilapia are my core fish, but I stock everything.

Pumpkinseeds??
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 01:32 PM
Possibly...
Posted By: djstauder Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 02:06 PM
Rex, Congrats on the new truck! Too bad you can't stock tilapia in Miss...
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 03:13 PM
How about deliveries to Ohio?
Posted By: John Wann Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
Nice one!

The DNR is being prodded....

Yes. I want tilapia too.
Posted By: John Wann Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:04 PM
Congrats Rainman.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 04:21 PM
Rex your a savage my friend..
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/17/14 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
How about deliveries to Ohio?

Did you get me Spicy V-8 yet? wink
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/18/14 01:23 AM
Plenty of Spicy V8 in this area. The Campbell Soup plant that makes it is 9 miles away. It is available in 'super size'.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 04/18/14 02:16 AM
Plenty of Spicy V8 in this area. The Campbell Soup plant that makes it is 9 miles away. It is available in 'super size'.

Perfect...same as my belly! I should be seeing you real soon, sir!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 06:08 AM
Scott, here is your photographic "proof". wink

The shop got the metal order in, the Company's fabrication shop finishes their relocation to the same shop the builds are done in, and work has begun in earnest. Batteries and air brake tanks were relocated, designs are completed, yet still may get minor changes, high intensity LED lighting getting ordered, slide out cat walks being built, new lift axle to support the extra weight when loaded, tires and polished wheels all being finished and shipped from all over the country.

I'm biased, but the bright aluminum against the dark blue really works for me. The 3 tanks shown in the right of the one picture are 38 inches tall and the overall width is 8 feet. The center tank will have 8 compartments carrying 125 gallons each and the front/rear tanks each have 4 compartments holding 250 gallons each. Each 125 gallons of water will be oxygenated by 2 3/8"x36" Point Four Ceramic pure Oxygen diffusers. I am also designing an on board filtration system and I may even add automated water chilling/heating capacity for installation next year.

The LOX saddle shown on the truck will carry dual, 300 liter Liquid oxygen tanks and the 4 batteries and 3000 watt A/C power inverter will be housed in the center space.

Four, 24"x24"x60" polished aluminum tool boxes will fill space under the aluminum bed between the Lox tanks and forward rear axle with a 200' water hose reel box and water pumps in the opposite side box, filling the spaces behind the Tag axle and rear bumper. The rear bumper itself will be covered in polished aluminum with a door the will reveal storage space for 6, 20 foot sections of pipe to stock ponds or change water from a remote area.

If needed, I can even pull a trailer mounted haul tank using one of my old tanks that holds 660 gallons in 4 compartments allowing me to move up to a total of 10,000 pounds of Tilapia or adult fish in a single load...about half that hauling smaller fish.

Now...Who needs Fish?!?!?! grin

Old and new together with the new, light weight tanks on the right...A new chrome front bumper will go on too...

The Liquid Oxygen/battery saddle in place and getting final fabrication...The bulkhead will also frame the rear glass to hold a light bar with flood lights for night stocking/loadings and periodic in-transit welfare inspections...
Posted By: snrub Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 06:30 AM
Chrome bumper?????

I want to know about the engine and transmission........... the important stuff! laugh
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 09:50 AM
Rainman,

We have talked a couple times by phone but never met. Fortunately I have talked my BIL into buying from you based strictly on your reputation from this forum. I believe he is getting 50 lbs. per acre for his 5 acre pond and I will be there to witness the great event. I look forward to meeting you.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
Rainman,

We have talked a couple times by phone but never met. Fortunately I have talked my BIL into buying from you based strictly on your reputation from this forum. I believe he is getting 50 lbs. per acre for his 5 acre pond and I will be there to witness the great event. I look forward to meeting you.

In Greensberg? If so, 175#. I thank you very much!
Posted By: RER Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 02:13 PM
wow, that sure will be an upgrade....
That truck will give a very good first impression on new clients I would think, not that its needed....

Congrats.......!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 02:34 PM
Nothing too special on the engine and tranny. DT466e in a 210hp configuration with an Eaton 6sp transmission. 12K front axle, 21K rear and adding a 13.2K lift axle. 290,000 miles. Had to argue some with the company I bought it from, but they finally took care of some power and safety issues they were supposed to resolve before I picked it up in Hartford, Ct.

Wild Bill witnessed it almost crushing me due to one of their shops "repairs" to the original lift gate it came with.

I sold the original 26' box, lift gate and old truck to help offset the pretty substantial bed modification and fabrication costs.

I am selling off one of my old tanks to offset more....It would be perfect on an inexpensive tandem utility trailer for someone wanting to haul. the originals sold for $20,000 new to Zett's in 1991 and will last more than another 23 years.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 02:36 PM
Looks good man.. keep us posted buddy..
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 03:12 PM
Rex, looking good. You going to rig the doors on the tool boxes so they don't automatically open? wink grin

Do you have a place on the truck where you can hang a scale to weigh out the fish? Analog/mechanical scale vs. digital?

Maybe a power outlet or 2 and an air chuck somewhere outside? You can plug in a light to look into the tanks, a snall portable flood light and plug in an air hose to run an impact wrench if needed?

FWIW, I really dislike polished chrome flat bumpers or doors on the back of trucks. They reflect headlights.
Posted By: Sunil Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 03:15 PM
Rainman....friend to Pond Owners and Tow Trucks everywhere....

Congratulations!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 03:20 PM
Will the new tag axle be air both ways, or spring lift?
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Will the new tag axle be air both ways, or spring lift?

Air lift up and down, auto lift in reverse and air ABS module. I chose a steerable model being built by Spring Valley in SE Iowa. We are going to hold off on installation till the bed is complete, installed and fully loaded with all 3000 gallons of water and the liquid oxygen to determine if it will be installed as a tag or pusher. I'll have about 9 feet of frame beyond the current axle....272" wheel base. Just because Bill Cody gave me crap thinking I'd take down his gutters turning around when I visit him, I am also installing a wireless backup camera with 4 distance sensors in the rear safety bumper of the beast. the camera will connect to either the 7" screen on the rear view mirror, or my GPS unit
Posted By: sprkplug Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 04:09 PM
I've scrubbed off my share of rubber on tag axles and tight corners. Pushers aren't quite as bad in that respect.

Nine more feet of frame...I'm curious myself as to how the weight distribution works out.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 04:12 PM
Rex, looking good. You going to rig the doors on the tool boxes so they don't automatically open? wink grin

Do you have a place on the truck where you can hang a scale to weigh out the fish? Analog/mechanical scale vs. digital?

Maybe a power outlet or 2 and an air chuck somewhere outside? You can plug in a light to look into the tanks, a snall portable flood light and plug in an air hose to run an impact wrench if needed?

FWIW, I really dislike polished chrome flat bumpers or doors on the back of trucks. They reflect headlights.

LOL! Dual locking, side swing dual doors. I am sure I will wire both 110 a/c and 12V all over it in time and if/as needed. Air will be plumbed as will oxygen to fill bags and supply a trailer if pulled. Those, I will wait to install so I will know the locations making it all very functional. I will probably choose a mechanical scale, tilapia are too jumpy to be near the electronics of the digitals...I carry 3 now so 1 works while 2 can dry out.

In time, I would like to get with someone to figure out a compact monitoring system to detect temp, ammonia, CO2 and O2 levels that can easily be checked in the cab.
Posted By: Zep Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 05:03 PM
tilapia are too jumpy to be near the electronics of the digitals...

Rex I was surprised how frisky my tilapia were when delivered
this week....those dudes are all Type A personality!

ps: congrats on new truck!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 05:09 PM
LOL Mark, and thanks! I wish it and you had made it to Winnsboro!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/09/14 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've scrubbed off my share of rubber on tag axles and tight corners. Pushers aren't quite as bad in that respect.

Nine more feet of frame...I'm curious myself as to how the weight distribution works out.

IF any frame will need to be added to the original, it would be less than 2 feet, and only to support the receiver hitch and filled in back end. Placing the LOX tanks in the front made it look better, but also more functional, but shifts about 500 gallons (4000#) of weight rearward. Load weight will now be about 65/35, if not 60/40 front to back. With the bridge formula laws, max weight on any axle is 20,000 pounds. My wheel base will allow a max of 47,000# total as is, so I can easily set up as a pusher or tag and be legal. Tare weight is expected to be <12,000#.
Posted By: snrub Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/10/14 03:42 AM
Nothing too special on the engine and tranny. DT466e in a 210hp configuration with an Eaton 6sp transmission. 12K front axle, 21K rear and adding a 13.2K lift axle. 290,000 miles.

DT466 has been around for many years and should be bullet proof. I've never owned one, but would prefer it to the 444 V8 I have on one service truck. Had a 6sp in a Freightliner once and was a nice simple and again, bullet proof transmission. No split shift to worry about, straight H shift pattern. The cowboy drivers need lots of gears but if the engine has some lugging ability and not in steep mountains, not needed. At 210 hp not going to be breaking any land speed records but just put your foot into it and let the DT466 work.

We run several International trucks, from semi's to a service truck. I like them. Good solid work trucks.
Posted By: Bearbait1 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/10/14 05:51 PM
Wow, that is going to be an expensive machine when you are done with modifications. It looks like a major advancement for your business, congratulations and good luck.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/10/14 07:03 PM
Bear, with the offsets from selling other equipment, and getting some excellent used equipment, I'll have about $45K in it. It should reduce maintenance and last for years to come. In comparison, one fish farm just built an all new unit with 2 smaller haul tanks and one LOX tank that will hold one third what mine will in nearly the same size foot print...his cost?..$128K.

The haul tanks I found are very unique and were built at cost by someone that builds surfboards wanting to try this, material cost per tank was $11,500, 6 years ago. I bought them with oversize oxygen diffusers and O2 flow regulators worth over $6000 per tank., Heck, each gate valve to drain them or stainless handle to close the lid is nearly $100 each. I saved about $12K by "stretching" my old aluminum bed over building a new one.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/10/14 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
At 210 hp not going to be breaking any land speed records but just put your foot into it and let the DT466 work.

We run several International trucks, from semi's to a service truck. I like them. Good solid work trucks.

I'd loved to have about 100 more Horses, but at a sale price that was 1/3 it's resale value, I can go slower! It was a Penske Truck built for a client, so it had some nice creature comforts added, like cruise control, heated mirrors, driver air ride seat, upgraded radio and engine noise/sound insulation.

With the air ride suspension also, the thing rides smoother than my Explorer!
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/11/14 12:24 AM
If you feel the need for speed, I'm sure there's someone out there that has done some slight tweaking to them. Nothing radical that will significantly shorten it's life, but maybe in the line of 10%-20% more oomph.

Heck, my little 1.9l diesel went from 90 hp to 128 hp and it's still going strong 155K after the upgrade.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/11/14 01:48 AM
Rainman, I figure your new truck with all the "bells, lights & whistles" will do excellent..... But is there still room for a "skinny" ole hound dog grin. JK buddy (just remembered that was one of your best friends names)?

Anyway, can't wait for the adventures of the new "BLUE TRUCK". Best of wishes to you Rex cool.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/11/14 03:12 AM
LOL Mark, yep. there is room. lots more room as a matter of fact. I miss Buddy almost every day still. Many reminders of him each day! A $1000 tuner and EGR Delete kit (now banned) would add 60HP.

Scott, I will consider getting a tune, but with all the new FMCSA regulations coming that require automatic on board electronic recording devices that connect directly to the engine computer so Uncle Fed can monitor us microscopically, for hours of service violations and EPA violations, modifications are getting hard to make. Next year, unless blocked in court, Cali's CARB will ban any commercial vehicle with engine built before 2010 from entering or operating in the state.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/11/14 04:38 AM
Next year, unless blocked in court, Cali's CARB will ban any commercial vehicle with engine built before 2010 from entering or operating in the state.

One more reason to hope for the big one.!

I don't see that flying. How would all the trucks bring goods from South of the border???
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/12/14 05:02 AM
Scott, the big fleets are the ones that pushed for the new rule.

OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Drive Assoc) filed suit for an injunction. Cali's court reply claimed the "Dormant", Commerce Clause of the US Constitution has long been ignored by the courts and cited about 40 recent cases...Pretty scary read actually.

http://ooida.com/CourtActions/summary.asp?CaseNo=45&CaseTitle=CARB
Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/12/14 07:11 AM
I might of missed it Rex but when does the "New Big Blue" make its 1st voyage? Best wishes to you and your new "camper" home wink grin grin. (for the warm months anyway).
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/12/14 02:29 PM
Hoping it will be within the next 10 days or so! I'm chomping at the bit and ready to get rolling!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/20/14 06:07 AM
Work is hopefully going into high gear now that the LOX saddle and battery box is complete. The old bed is on and another 8 feet being added. The new lift axle is in, but the original wheel base may need to be extended or shortened once the center of gravity and weight distribution can be calculated.

By the way Scott, the rear will be bright aluminum, but designed not to blind from reflection (the front chrome bumper is factory shaped, not the ugly flat type). Considering hanging on an 8KW generator to power the filtration and possible chiller, but may wait till next year for that.

Lift Axle ready to be added

Saddle filled in, steps for catwalks partially framed

New battery box between tanks didn't even require cable extension

Frame extension of 24 inches and bed support beams being framed before adding the top plate
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/20/14 04:22 PM
All you're missing is the sleeper cab. wink
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/20/14 04:55 PM
All you're missing is the sleeper cab. wink

That was the original choice, but I got the third tank instead. I can make space for a smaller one by adding another 40 inches of frame rail...maybe later. At another 10 grand, I can afford a couple nights in hotels! grin

A sleeper would push total length over 40 feet!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/21/14 06:28 AM
I'm always impressed by a man (or anyone) who does his "homework"! Again, best wishes and good luck to you. wink.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/23/14 05:25 PM
More shiny stuff coming! Bed is extended and being blended into the old. Trailer hitch was built on the slightly extended frame. Lift axle will go on today or Tuesday. Once the lift axle is on, Bumper will be built and the tanks will go on along with the securement system.

New, polished wheels I found for the price of used...Had Sunil pond proof tires put on them..no more tow bills!

Extension welded up...end caps were fabricated and installed last night..
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/23/14 05:46 PM
Looking good! Got a place to hang the chains for the deliveries in the mountains during the snowstorms?? grin
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/23/14 07:25 PM
Looking GREAT!!! BTW, you stole those wheels for the price you told me...

Now if you could only get IL to start allowing you to stock here...GRRRR!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/24/14 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Looking GREAT!!! BTW, you stole those wheels for the price you told me...

Now if you could only get IL to start allowing you to stock here...GRRRR!!!

He CAN stock there! Just not Tilapia. wink He carries other fish on occasion too.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/24/14 02:39 AM
Hey Rex, I was at Codys today and your new truck came up in conversation. Bill said he wished that you had coughed up the 10K for the sleeper as he's tired of you sleepin in his garage. I asked why you couldn't even crash on the couch and he said "because then I'd have to feed him and he might not leave". I don't believe him, you wouldn't impose would you? Next time you're around, my couch is open and I will feed ya and that will convince ya to leave.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/25/14 07:26 AM
Bob-O, Just don't bite him in the face if he is on your couch..... He bites back grin wink grin!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/25/14 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Hey Rex, I was at Codys today and your new truck came up in conversation. Bill said he wished that you had coughed up the 10K for the sleeper as he's tired of you sleepin in his garage. I asked why you couldn't even crash on the couch and he said "because then I'd have to feed him and he might not leave". I don't believe him, you wouldn't impose would you? Next time you're around, my couch is open and I will feed ya and that will convince ya to leave.

HA! Cody is like the mom that DOES love me!!! Bill is a great friend!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/25/14 10:10 PM
I even fed Bob-O and then had to kick him out the door with my big shoe. Not really - I just gave him some fish so he had to leave before the fish died. Sneaky Bill.
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 05/25/14 11:59 PM
I just gave him some fish so he had to leave before the fish died. Sneaky Bill.

That's really good!!! wink laugh
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/03/14 04:42 AM
Had to get on the shop for getting involved in other work and letting the truck sit too long...Guess the service manager listened, finally! Expecting to roll later this week!

New Lift Axle and extra air tank going on...

Liquid Oxygen Saddle is finished...

Slide-out catwalks being built using ultra-high density slider plastic...

Tanks pressure washed and sanitized...ready for new door locks, installation and paint...

Posted By: Bocomo Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/03/14 05:42 AM
Gonna be a beaut!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/03/14 10:49 AM
KaChing!! $$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: Roy Fleming Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/03/14 01:11 PM
Can't wait, need tilapia
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/04/14 05:22 AM
Lift axle is installed and will be plumbed for air, brakes and valves early tomorrow...One sliding catwalk is installed, other 5 sections nearly ready...2 will need to fold to allow the lift axle to raise. New tires and wheels go on tomorrow, frame rails get painted, along with putting the bed back on...if all goes well, tanks will get placed for final fit as well.

Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/05/14 04:32 AM
Going to put anti-skid tape on the catwalks?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/05/14 06:01 PM
Fish truck finished and rolling yet? It is Thursday.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/05/14 10:32 PM
Keep in mind if you ever do business with Rex, that I've heard he's a sucker for Sloppy Joe's.

I've seen him knock down four of them in about fifteen minutes.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/06/14 04:08 PM
Rainman must be now finally busy hauling fish since his responses are now slow.
Posted By: RC51 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/06/14 08:12 PM
Looks great RM!! Congrats!!

RC
Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/07/14 05:16 AM
Dang Rainman, any pics of the finished "camper" grin before you left? JK pal...Be safe and best of luck to you and Big Blue!!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/07/14 09:52 AM
Going to put anti-skid tape on the catwalks?

Nope, Anti-skid paint.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/07/14 09:59 AM
Rainman must be now finally busy hauling fish since his responses are now slow.

Bill, to answer your other question first, I roll out early tomorrow morning and plane to annoy you Sunday night. The fabrication shop really blew the deadlines, so I strapped my old tanks on a flat bed along with O2 and will pull them in my grocery getter. I'm pretty pissed the shop has taken so long, but still, I want it built right over fast.

The Tag axle is on and plumbed, the new bed was bolted on today and the man doing that is anxious to finish up...the guy doing the axle was just plain lazy trying to milk hours on a 12 hour job into 30+....and he let it sit for 10 days untouched before that... frown
Posted By: Roy Fleming Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/07/14 03:32 PM
What a bummer, I was hoping to see that thing tomorrow. Safe travels
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/07/14 09:01 PM
Sorry Roy...I plan to be to you well before dark however.
Posted By: Roy Fleming Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/10/14 01:52 AM
Hey Rex
Good to see you tonight. Fish are all off and swimming. It is a pleasure to do business with you.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/10/14 04:35 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.......... 8:52 p.m. I guess he DID sneak in there just before dark! laugh

Glad to hear that the fishes are swimming along!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/25/14 06:25 AM
Back to work on the truck after finishing most of the spring season runs.....I really wanted to have used this ready to roll for the season, but I'd rather have it built right, than fast!

I may have to re-think using the same tires on the tag as the main drive axle just so I could have a couple spares if needed. Low Profile tires on the lift axle would give me a little extra ground and cat-walk clearance. The frame is painted, the rear-end/bumper cut, pre-formed and ready to weld up. Entire drive line has been gone over well and anything showing even minor wear, replaced (very little replaced).

Once the final cat-walk is finalized on fab work and installed, the bed stretch will be seamlessly blended in, tanks will be set and the rest will be finishing touches for the fab shop, such as lighting, graphics, generator install and underbody storage boxes. I will do all the final setups for oxygen delivery, Low Oxy/pressure alarm, cab electronics/monitoring and a few personal touches.

Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/25/14 06:29 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm.......... 8:52 p.m. I guess he DID sneak in there just before dark! laugh

Glad to hear that the fishes are swimming along!

Be nice Scott! I was at his place around 7! lol
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/25/14 01:56 PM
laugh

Rex, I haven't seen many tag axles, so I can't remember what tire sizes I've seen on them. I agree, having the same size tires on the tag as the rest of the truck would be nice - it'd allow you to run with one spare instead of 2.....

Do you have a receiver pocket in the bed to place the holder for the scale that you'll hang to weigh out the fish?

Plenty of lights including a light to look into the tanks? A couple of lights rearward that will illuminate the darkness when backing up would be nice.

Got a hanger in place to hang tire chains? I think I remember a trip to Pa.........

re: generator. Gas or diesel? I've seen and heard some small diesel generators that are almost silent, a LOT quieter than a honda gas genset.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/25/14 02:27 PM
Most tag axles we see come into work have 255/70 R 22.5 tires on them...They measure right around 37" vs 41" of a stand up 11 R 22.5..

My biggest concern with the way you have it set up is if you get offroad in a breakover or soft ground situation and the tag axle takes the weight off of the drives...
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/25/14 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Most tag axles we see come into work have 255/70 R 22.5 tires on them...They measure right around 37" vs 41" of a stand up 11 R 22.5..

My biggest concern with the way you have it set up is if you get offroad in a breakover or soft ground situation and the tag axle takes the weight off of the drives...

The way Rex's luck runs I can see him sinking a bit in soft ground, and the tag axle taking enough weight off of the drive axle so he needs to call for a wrecker.....

Good call!!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/27/14 04:15 PM
The axle has been a bit of a headache for decision making since I am building a unique system. Some things are pretty easy. Other questionable set-ups/ideas simply had to be built to see how it worked and fit in, then scrapped or modified as needed.

Scott, genset is an extra I had around that is 4 years old and only run to test and keep ready...under an hour on it with a Honda GX420 Chinese clone engine. I had 2 and they are as rock solid as the real Honda's...Parts are far cheaper than a diesel genset and more readily available if needed. Noise isn't an issue for now, and if it ever becomes one, a fairly inexpensive one to eliminate.

Shawn, I agree on the concerns if on soft ground. I am looking at some reasonably priced, roll up tracks to lay down in soft areas if needed to prevent the sinking being an issue to begin with. Also, if I sink 5", I'll need the 14,000# winch with weight multiplier and 150' cable I am adding anyway. (or wrecker) I've been thinking, and since I went with virgin rubber and have a blow out, new tires are not all that much more anyway when you have to pay for a roadside call.

Using the tag axle tires as spares, The rubber would probably weather crack long before any tread was worn too. Knock on wood, I've not had a flat in 7 years. Tires and brakes are replaced at 80% on my equipment...the 2 things cost doesn't matter to me on. After seeing the setup, Low-Profile 255's are the way to go. I'd go with 19" wheels, but need the load capacity.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 06/27/14 05:22 PM
Rex, just thinking out loud here, and thinking about how my mind would work.

re: roll up tracks. In my case, it'd be too little too late. "it's firm enough" then "Oh .... I didn't expect it to sink THAT far!" Then go hook up the winch, and uproot the tree that I used as an anchor.........

Diesel vs. gas Genset. If there was a way to plumb it to the diesel fuel tank for the truck, you wouldn't have to worry about carrying gasoline in spare tanks, or worrying about running out of gas. Unless you plan on adding a spare fuel tank under the bed and filling it with gas to run the genset. Just make the filler neck small enough so it can't be filled with diesel. Easy to remove if you wanted to covert to diesel, but might prevent a "whups, that's the wrong tank" moment.

Now you've gone and done it. You'll have a flat on your first run with the new truck and new tires. My experience is like yours. Run good tires, don't run them down to nothing, and flats are very rare.

re: cable. Have you looked at Amsteel instead of wire cable? I bought a 150' length of 1/2" Amsteel to use for tree work. IIRC it's rated at over 30,000# breaking strength, and is light enough to float on water. It doesn't kink, and you don't have to worry about getting your hands poked if a strand breaks like wire cable. I got a deal on mine because it's red in color, and the sun bleaches it to a pinkish color. It wasn't selling well.......
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/06/14 06:28 AM
The catwalks got prepped and are now primed and painted with anti-skid epoxy. The rear sections have a door to allow extra clearance for the tag axle wheels in the raised position...also, the rails are installed for carrying offload tubing between the frame rails. We may install the generator in the space between the pipe storage and hitch framing using a slide out system and access door on the rear end rather than a dedicated underbody box...

Also enjoyed a weekend cruising the Mississippi and Missouri rivers after taking the chemical tanks and pumps off the spray barge. It was my first eyewitness experience with Asian carp. Most were 2-3 pounds and about 18" long, but a few were well over 10 pounds and 2 feet. It was hilarious cruising a flooded bank and watching these suckers bouncing off tree branches, 8 feet in the air!

Posted By: hang_loose Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/06/14 07:16 AM
Awesome pics Rex!!! Hope you didn't jinx your "new blue" wink grin.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 12:50 AM
The fabrication shop caught up on other work now that I have until Fall. Finally getting it close to completed. Catwalks have ant-slip surfaces now. DOT Saftety bumper built. The "tube rack" is closed in, lighted, and ready for it's door. Lighting wired and installed, lower profile tires back on the lift axle for more ground clearance when raised. Tanks are on, hold down straps being fitted and installed...Once the Fab shop finishes, I hope to find some underwater graphics scenes to put on the sides of the tanks and then I get to install all the electronics....

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 01:24 AM
Looking really good for hauling some fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 10:08 PM
Looking good Rex! How you going to keep the snow off the rear LED tails?
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 10:25 PM
Looking good Rex! How you going to keep the snow off the rear LED tails?

Since I have only driven in snow while delivering, twice, I'd call that a non-issue. But I'm unaware of anything that would prevent any more buildup of snow than what occurs on every vehicle driving in a snow storm. Cleaning is just part of the standard safety check at every stop interval.
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 10:59 PM
I thought the LED's had more problems with snow build up because they didn't give off heat like the incandescents do.

Yeah, hopefully your days of delivering fish in snowstorms are past you!
Posted By: snrub Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/29/14 11:35 PM
Looks like the shop you chose is doing a great job.

Just glad you are paying the bill and not me. smile But my years of experience with equipment says that doing it right the first time is always better and cheaper than having to re-do it.

Wild pictures of the jumping fish.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/31/14 05:21 AM
I thought the LED's had more problems with snow build up because they didn't give off heat like the incandescents do.

Yeah, hopefully your days of delivering fish in snowstorms are past you!

That's true, LED's don't generate hardly any heat, yet there are almost no tail lights on any car that will melt snow, due to recessed bulbs and mult-layer tail light designs preventing heat reaching the outer acrylic cover.

The upside is brighter, far longer lasting lights. Plus, with the new USDOT/FMCSA rules on individual commercial drivers now being "safety rated", even a warning for a burned out bulb reduces a driver's/company's FMCSA "safety rating". Insurance companies are now using this info to raise premium rates. The new rules are almost insane, so longevity is paramount for long term cost exposure. A simple, burned out bulb even on a cab roof, can raise insurance rates on a commercial vehicle the same, or more, than a 20MPH over the limit speeding ticket does for any of us.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: It ALL started, here.... - 07/31/14 10:55 AM
Very nice rig Rex. I'm proud for you.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: It ALL started, here.... - 09/30/14 05:21 PM
Here is some neat new technology. The savings by running the diesel generator at its optimal rpms all the time really make sense. Like all new ideas, time will tell how it plays out but for delivery operations (packages, fish...) it would be a neat improvement.

Diesel technology improvements
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/04/14 05:32 PM
That could be pretty cool once the costs come down!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/04/14 05:48 PM
The truck is finally nearing completion at the fabrication shop! The shop finally got the underbelly boxes on, is correcting some design deviations and fabricating 2 more underbody boxes that will attach to the sides of, and become part of the rear bumper for water transfer pumps, hose storage and the power generator. The build has taken FAR longer than it ever should have, but will have more functional capability than most any hauling unit ever! (those ugly weld gussets are going to be removed and hidden)

Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/04/14 07:11 PM
Rex, you probably already know this, but the less you can hang off behind the rear axle the better. That's all the less that you can drag on a sharp incline, either entering or exiting.

Are there any tow hooks on the front and back to hook to if you need a pull out of a soft spot? With the amount of pull that can be generated, I don't know if the trailer hitch would be a good place to hook to.... Is it pin and collared or welded on?
Posted By: mpc Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/04/14 11:38 PM
Really nice looking rig! Hope it makes you plenty of payoff money, no downtime and low maintenance. Good luck and thanks for all the build pictures!!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 12:28 AM
Rex, you probably already know this, but the less you can hang off behind the rear axle the better. That's all the less that you can drag on a sharp incline, either entering or exiting.

Are there any tow hooks on the front and back to hook to if you need a pull out of a soft spot? With the amount of pull that can be generated, I don't know if the trailer hitch would be a good place to hook to.... Is it pin and collared or welded on?

Hitch is a heavily over-engineered class V receiver hitch, fully welded with 1/2" reinforcement. I'll be hauling a 24,000 pound winch with 150" of cable with a 50K rated torque doubling pulley block.

The rearward boxes will sit higher than the rear safety bumper, which is set at 14" high.
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Here is some neat new technology. The savings by running the diesel generator at its optimal rpms all the time really make sense. Like all new ideas, time will tell how it plays out but for delivery operations (packages, fish...) it would be a neat improvement.

Diesel technology improvements

Capstone Turbine has been doing this for quite some time now.

With the high cost of electricity these days, and if you need special electrical hook up from the power company, it's much cheaper in the long run to utilize grid connect micro turbine tech. running on propane or other fuel. You'll want to stay away from batteries tho. Batteries are like a transitional element that absorbs power from one source, stores it, then shoots it to it's use point. During this process, it just eats them up. They will never be able to make a perfect battery.
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 01:50 AM
Rex,
The truck looks really good!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 02:37 AM
Very nice looking fishy truck. Now just keep it out of the mud, between the ditches, and not over the speed limit.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 12:16 PM
Wow! Now that's a hauling truck!

Congrats Rex!
Posted By: JamieE Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/05/14 12:36 PM
Thats quite the setup you have there Rex. Fish business must be good! Congrats!!
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 05:52 PM
It is in desperate need of a bath and some polishing, but the bed build is pretty much complete, FINALLY!

Next is some fiberglass work and cargo/load lighting, along with just a little more shiny bling (chrome air horns and bumper the same style as the painted one).

After the outside, electornics, and box work is done, the graphics work will be done last....hopefully I'll get some sponsorship/advertising $$$'s to offset that expense....?

Over the winter, I'll be installing all electronics for on-board water quality monitoring, filtration, ammonia removal system, pumps, 8000 watt 120/240V generator, custom shelving and storage box modifications. Eventually, I plan to be able to heat and chill all, or individual water tanks....all from inside the cab while rolling...

Posted By: sprkplug Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 05:59 PM
Looks great...huge, but great!

Rex, when it's all said and done you will surely have the slickest fish hauler around.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 06:29 PM
Looking mighty good sir. Hard work pays off
Posted By: RER Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 07:23 PM
purdy !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 07:32 PM
That will haul some fish in "real Cadillac style".
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 08:36 PM
Time to update your signature line image!
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 09:19 PM
hopefully I'll get some sponsorship/advertising $$$'s to offset that expense....?

Don't quite understand that one. I do know that some companies try to find space on a moving billboard for cheap, but how effective is that? If they pay, that's cool.

Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/23/14 09:57 PM
JKB, I had to LOL at the PVC comment before you edited it.

As far as "advertisers", I meant more of a one time co-op deal to cover the cost of developing/applying some nice, quality aquatic graphics. Like a serene aerated pond setting with a kid catching a big fish with a feeder, bag of feed and perhaps a fountain control or aerator cabinet are in the foreground....all having prominent Logo's visible.

I have 27'x3.5' on the sides and 8'x3.5' on the back to fill...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/24/14 01:38 AM
Jeeze Rainman, what'd ya do get one of those -- an old people reverse mortgage -- to finance that? grin

Just kidding of course.

Beautiful truck!
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/24/14 08:24 AM
As far as "advertisers", I meant more of a one time co-op deal to cover the cost of developing/applying some nice, quality aquatic graphics. Like a serene aerated pond setting with a kid catching a big fish with a feeder, bag of feed and perhaps a fountain control or aerator cabinet are in the foreground....all having prominent Logo's visible.

OK, got it. That would be cool!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/25/14 12:02 AM
Consider adding some paid advertising on the tanks similar to the billboards at ball parks, etc. The flat side of the back tank would be very good spot for something.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/25/14 11:35 AM
Rex, that's an incredible hauler. Congrats, and thanks for posting the whole process.
Posted By: JKB Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/25/14 02:38 PM
Over the winter, I'll be installing all electronics for on-board water quality monitoring, filtration, ammonia removal system, pumps, 8000 watt 120/240V generator, custom shelving and storage box modifications. Eventually, I plan to be able to heat and chill all, or individual water tanks....all from inside the cab while rolling...

Hey Rex, if you like, describe in detail what you want to do electronically and electric wise with your truck.

All the parameters you would like to monitor/control, and everything else you would like control of.

You mentioned, while rolling... I doubt you will be very far from your truck because it is your work, source of income and a passion. I can put your truck with full control (other than driving) on your cell phone, puter or network TV so you can see what's going on all the time. All ya need is a decent wireless router in your truck and another gizmo. No need to go internet because you probably won't be too far from your truck.

If you plan to buy sensors with specific meters for all this, it could get quite expensive and take up a bunch of room. If you plan to do something in the cab that is Windows based, be prepared for failures at the worst possible time.

I deal with 2 Roller Coasters and 1 extrusion machine that have windows based panel PC's, along with some solid processors, but the programmers put way too much control in the windows junk, and that freaks out from time to time. Not safe on one coaster, and it was a $300K tab to make it right. No Go, but they have insurance if someone get's hurt or killed.

Sweep it under the rug and hope it don't happen wink
Posted By: esshup Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/25/14 04:33 PM
Rex, after seeing a good view of the truck, I don't think you will be doing much travel off road with that. I think gravel roads will be as much "off roading" you'll be doing.

I can see LED light billboards on the side of the tanks......
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/25/14 04:59 PM
LOL esshup...USDOT prohibits signage lighting on commercial vehicles. I had considered using recessed "License plate lights" to light the sides and back, but don't need the fines.
Posted By: Rainman Re: It ALL started, here.... - 10/27/14 02:41 PM
Rex, after seeing a good view of the truck, I don't think you will be doing much travel off road with that. I think gravel roads will be as much "off roading" you'll be doing.

It all depends.... laugh laugh laugh
© Pond Boss Forum