Pond Boss
Posted By: CoachB time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 01:43 AM
Ok, the algae is on the pond and the Tilapia are in the fish tank in the basement (were they have been growing all winter). I have surface temps of 65 and 56 degrees four feet down. We are supposed to have a week of temps in the 70's. How long do I need to wait to release my tilapia? They are now legal in Michigan for pond use (according to several sources).
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 02:01 AM
I'd wait until water temps are consistently in the 70's if I were you. We could still get a cold snap where water temps plunge 10 degrees.

What kind of system did you end up building?
Posted By: CoachB Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 02:06 AM
I went the cheap route for year one. I am running a 55 gallon tank and a 40 gallon tank (old fish tanks that I had). I clean the filters every couple of days and that seems to be working so far. I have 20 tilapia in the 4-6 inch range. I am planning to expand it for next year and start earlier. I will move them to a cage in the pond when the pond is ready before I release them. Just need to build a cage. Another new pond project!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 04:11 AM
Be patient CoachB, another week or two of warming the pond water improves their chances (as in predators coming after slow tilapia).
Posted By: esshup Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 05:34 AM
We're waiting until the end of next week or the beginning of the following week before we start stocking Tilapia. I still don't trust this Spring weather to stay warm.
Posted By: RER Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 11:59 AM
I think My tilapia have pulled off a spawn already in the pond, I headed out soon to investigate. this weekend if I can swing it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: CoachB
I went the cheap route for year one. I am running a 55 gallon tank and a 40 gallon tank (old fish tanks that I had). I clean the filters every couple of days and that seems to be working so far. I have 20 tilapia in the 4-6 inch range. I am planning to expand it for next year and start earlier. I will move them to a cage in the pond when the pond is ready before I release them. Just need to build a cage. Another new pond project!

If by some chance you're headed this way as I the last time I'd be happy to give you one, I have too many of all sizes and mesh. I want to get rid of most of them.
Posted By: CoachB Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/01/13 04:58 PM
Cecil, that might work. I will see what is going on this weekend. I would love to see your ponds again and catch up.
Posted By: Rainman Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/03/13 07:59 PM
Coach...wait till your water temp is 62+ for 4 days at a 4 foot depth if you overwintered my pure blues....if any hybrids, like others use...don't stock till in the 70+ temps at a 4 foot depth.
Posted By: Rainman Re: time to release the Tilapia? - 05/03/13 08:01 PM
I am tentatively making my first run north with tilapia on the 11th of May. Even with a harsh cold snap that would kill the hybrids being sold now in the area, it won't get my Blues if temps were at 62 or greater for 4 days as there are pockets of warm water for them to stay safe in.
© Pond Boss Forum