Pond Boss
Posted By: Ozean fish forums - 06/22/11 03:00 AM
anyone know any good fish forums for bass i dont want to clutter these forums up with abunch of fish questions
Posted By: esshup Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 04:06 AM
Ozean, Welcome to the forum. I don't know of any Bass specific forums, but I'm sure someone on here does. Until they chime in, ask away! Maybe we'll all learn something.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 04:10 AM
Depends: Are you trying to raise bass or catch 'em?
Posted By: Ozean Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 04:14 AM
im trying to catch them, been trying all year to find a lunker in public lakes around where i love private lakes are unheard of, no land for that type of thing. Havent really even looked into it.

Trying to find out how come in some lakes bass will eat a sunfish on my line as bait, and other lakes the sunfish out in the middle of the pond will sit there for hours untouched
Posted By: esshup Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 05:28 AM
It probably depends on whether they are eating the sunfish as food, or if they are keying in on other, more fusiform, less spiny fish. LMB are cover lovers, rarely are they out suspended in the center of the BOW.

At times it's best to "match the hatch", and other times it's better to go with something that they've never seen before. I think that's one of the reasons that some of the ultra-expensive lures do well. The average fisherman won't spend the $$ on them, so the LMB don't see them very often.

I've caught some really good sized LMB on a 9" Uncle Josh Black Magic Eel when fished on a 2/0 weedless hook, no weight, slowly crawled and paused alongside of docks. Cast out, let it sit for 10 seconds. Drag it in 3', let it sit 10-15 seconds. Repeat until you can see the bait and no LMB are following it. BUT, only in early Spring, about 3 to 6 weeks after ice out. The rest of the year I can't catch squat on them fished the same way.

Then later on in the year, an Original Floating F18 Silver/Black would work when cast out and not moved until all the ripples disappeared. Then it'd be just barely twitched and left alone until the ripples disappeared again. Reel it in for a couple of feet and repeat.

During the summer, try fishing at night with a black jitterbug or noisy buzz bait around docks, boats, lily pads and in swimming areas.
Posted By: Omaha Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 12:57 PM
Ozean, when I first started doing some online research in my attempt to improve my fishing prowess (nothing beats experience I'm finding crazy), I found bassresource.com. They have a forum as well I believe. I would kindly ask, if provided the opportunity, as you get acquainted with the site, mention where you heard about them. Not from me, from Pond Boss. wink
Posted By: ewest Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 02:35 PM
Bob is a contributor there as well.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 03:06 PM
Welcome Ozean!

I have only 1 tip for you to help you catch bigger LMB - move south! wink

Not that I don't envy your huge variety of species up north - I truly do! I have to drive north for about 2 hours to have any chance of catching a trout or a smallie but, the south has the longer growing season for LMB so, they're just bigger down here.
Posted By: Bill Douglas Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 03:35 PM
A few good bass fishing web sites I would suggest are:

ultimatebass.com

basspro.com, go to Outdoor Site Library, then to Talk Forums

wmi.org/bassfish/, Bass Fishing Home Page
Posted By: esshup Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 04:38 PM
Omaha, you were doing pretty good when we fished TJ's pond! One fish short of a grand slam IIRC.
Posted By: Omaha Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Omaha, you were doing pretty good when we fished TJ's pond! One fish short of a grand slam IIRC.

What's a grand slam?

I can catch the heck out of little fish. It's the big fish that allude me. blush

Plus, that day I just managed to find where they were stacked up by accident. Felt the slightest of tugs as I was pulling my jig out of the water.
Posted By: esshup Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
What's a grand slam?

Catching at least one of each species in the pond.
Posted By: Omaha Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 06:44 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Omaha
What's a grand slam?

Catching at least one of each species in the pond.

Then I did that I think. What didn't I catch? SMB, YP, HSB, GSH, RES, BG. What am I missing? You're not counting FHM are you? laugh

Got the grand slam last weekend too. wink
Posted By: esshup Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 06:49 PM
That day I don't think you caught a HSB.
Posted By: Omaha Re: fish forums - 06/22/11 06:50 PM
Yeah, one small one. The fight was very different from the others.
© Pond Boss Forum