Pond Boss
Posted By: Greg Grimes wader repair - 12/30/08 06:00 PM
I now after last weeks duck hunt have 5 pair of waders that leak. It makes for cold duck hunt fish seining times. Most are neoprene, one is canvas, also one leaking around boot. Local tire shop did not want to fix and neither did boot repair. I have tired in years past silicone and wader repair kit with no luck. Anyone got other suggestions? folks were helpful on tractor advice so thought I would try you out again.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: wader repair - 12/30/08 09:21 PM
In a pinch you can melt a rubber worm with a lighter and apply the melted plastic to patch a leak.

Canvas waders can be repaired with waterproof contact cement applied to both a canvas patch and around the hole in the waders and then sticking them together following the cement mfgs. recommended procedure.

Neoprene is hard to patch. About the only thing to do that I know of is put a whole bunch of wader cement (pretty much rubber cement) over the whole. A better repair would be to apply the wader cement then sew a patch on while the cement is still wet but is probably more trouble than it worth.

Mine always wear out at the crotch...pretty much impossible to fix those leaks long term.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: wader repair - 12/30/08 10:42 PM
ryan 2 leaks in crotch. Might try that on cheaper pair for seining personal ponds. Last pair $189 and leaks in less than 2 years.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: wader repair - 12/30/08 11:36 PM
At least you can write them off, eh?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 03:44 AM
A crotch split in the winter is a real character builder.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 03:58 AM
I remember Red Green's poem, "Spring"

"It is Springtime.
You walk into the stream for your first day of the year fishing.
Your waders have sprung a leak,
You hope."
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 04:40 PM
Greg, we use Aquaseal to repair neoprene wet suits. Cabellas sells it (here we get it our local surf shops). Repairing neoprene is sort of hit and miss, sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.
Posted By: Shawn Banks Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 05:06 PM
Aquaseal is indeed pretty good stuff. For me, it's as important to have around as duck tape and zip ties. All three go into my McGyver kit (or McGruber if you watch SNL).
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 09:14 PM
thanks never heard of aquaseal but 'bout to go shopping for some. Cabelas $6.99 for a tube. Got it on order thanks
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 11:45 PM
 Quote:
A crotch split in the winter is a real character builder.

You Texans are backward Dave, it shrinks my character.
Posted By: Brettski Re: wader repair - 12/31/08 11:48 PM
\:D
Posted By: Jersey Re: wader repair - 01/15/09 01:16 PM
Greg,
I have used Aquaseal to repair wetsuits and even a split seam in the bladder of my BCD (scuba vest). It works great.
Good luck.
© Pond Boss Forum