Pond Boss
Posted By: Brett295 Illinois pondmeisters - 07/01/08 05:48 PM
Does anyone in IL know of a place that sells Golden Shiners? I need to have them delivered to my pond. I live in the St. Louis Area.
Posted By: Jeff Walker Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/01/08 07:58 PM
Try this link

http://www.ifishillinois.org/programs/tacklebox/Fish%20Dealers%20List.pdf

It should take you to a pdf showing fish dealers servicing Illinois.
Posted By: DJT Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/02/08 04:03 AM
You might try http://www.livefishforpondstocking.com. They don't list shiners on the site but basically it just some guys with a fish truck who act as a middle man for some fish farms. They are based in Smithton so they are very close and you might be able to work something out with them. I have never bought fish from them but just spoke briefly to one of them on the phone.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/02/08 01:56 PM
Thanks guys this gives me a good starting point. I don't know why it's so hard to find a fish farm around here. I am getting frustrated trying to find some GSH. I May just increase the BG population in the Fall.
Posted By: James S Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/02/08 02:42 PM
You might also try Herman Brothers in Peoria. I belive they have golden shiners. It would be a little bit of a drive or you could see if they are making any deliveries down this way.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/04/08 02:28 PM
Brett I sent you a PM on a supplier.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/09/08 02:26 AM
We can get you some golden shiners for sure. But I highly recommend getting the shiner fry from Anderson Minnows. You have to sign up pretty quick, cause they always sell out. We had very good success this year with our shiner fry from them.

Another option you have is to talk with a local bait shop. They will get their minnows from a wholesale bait supplier who most likely carries shiners as well even if the particular bait shop doesnt sell shiners. They can special order them, and then you can pick them up.

IF you want to bypass the bait shop, just find out where they get their minnows from and contact the wholesaler direct and you can meet him anywhere on his route.
Posted By: DJT Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/09/08 04:19 AM
Opel's fish hatchery is just north of you in Worden IL. 618-459-3287. I can't find a website for him so I'm not sure what he handles.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Illinois pondmeisters - 07/09/08 05:37 PM
I talked to someone from Andersons fish farm. He put me on the list for 250,000 GSH fry next spring. He assured me that eneough of them would survive LMB and BG predation to make it to adulthood and spawn. Thanks for all the help.
© Pond Boss Forum