Pond Boss
Posted By: vachatterus Help With 20 year old Pond - 05/12/08 02:16 PM
I have a 2 1/2 acre pond that has been around for 20 years. The depth averages 6 feet and it is fed by rain runoff and a small underground spring. We have bass, catfish and crappie. They are plentiful, of good size, in good condition and replenish themselves. We added a few catfish 3 years ago because we wanted to increase the population. We also raise about 250 catfish each year in cages. We have never done anything to the pond.

I see all of these forum topics, etc. and I wonder why my pond does so well without any intervention?

I hope by saying this I do not bring on a hex.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Help With 20 year old Pond - 05/12/08 02:24 PM
Hello Vachetterus and welcome back to Pond Boss. Where ya been for the past three years?

The experts will give you the correct answer I'm sure. Your situation is very similar to mine other than pond depth and age (my pond is 17feet deep and about 60 years old). My guess has always been that the spring introduces enough new water and causes enough water movement to keep things aerated. At least that it the theory on my pond. I look forward to the expert opinions.

Glad to have you back.
Posted By: vachatterus Re: Help With 20 year old Pond - 05/25/08 12:26 AM
No problems but I have been monitoring the site. I just let well enough alone.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Help With 20 year old Pond - 05/25/08 02:26 AM
Why no problems? Heck, I don't know.

However, I expect that your 3 species of fish are chowing down on their offspring. Without a "normal" forage base (Bluegill, shiners, etc.) they are somehow staying in balance. However, it is impossible to tell whether several years classes are missing without some serious record keeping or electrofishing survey.

Hope your luck holds.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Help With 20 year old Pond - 05/25/08 01:13 PM
I think that ponds sometimes find a natural balance and things stay great. I know now, in hindsight, that my pond had achieved that goal when I had purchased it a little over ten years back.

After I found this website, I really started to mess with Mother Nature's balance.
© Pond Boss Forum