Pond Boss
Posted By: MarkECIN Need to buy BUOY float for pond - WHERE? - 03/23/07 10:42 PM
I had a couple of duck floats, one is sinking --other on its last leg. Where can I buy a good pond/lake float to tie off to the rope to my windmill stone? I'm ebayed out looking. Something round that I don't have to worry about leaking and sinking would be nice. Thanks, again.
mark, i bought some cheap round floats (buoys) from overtons (click on link: slalom buoys ) to tie off the nylon rope i used to deploy my aerators. they were like 3 or 4 bucks apiece, i installed two of them last summer and they have been fine ever since. they are maybe a little smaller than a volleyball, they ship flat, you fill with air. i picked the green color.
Posted By: Eric Re: Need to buy BUOY float for pond - WHERE? - 03/23/07 11:24 PM
Mark, If you want a fun little project that you could use to tie off the stone to I would suggest building a floating Iland. You might look at these threads for some information if you like.

http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002890

http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003554
Rope floats
-
-
dozen duck decoys
Posted By: bz Re: Need to buy BUOY float for pond - WHERE? - 03/24/07 02:14 AM
Also do a google on Aquatic Ecosystems. I think they had a nice variety of professional high grade bouys. Or if all your interested in is functional and cheap just go to your nearest swimming pool store. I bought one of the standard blue and white floats like they have on pool ropes for about 5 bucks. It has lasted through several winters. It freezes into the ice but doesn't get damaged. The only problem I've had is finding a rope that will last. Every rope I've used has lasted about a year and then disintegrates.
Shoot! I am way behind the jones I guess, I am using a one gallon empty jug of rotella oil. But plan on having my floating island out there before too long.
bz...
Check this one out: Rigging Hardware My plan, albeit likely over-engineered (Surprise!), is to create concrete anchors in a cheap bucket. Before the concrete cures, set a stainless steel eyebolt in it with a washer and nut to embed it. Then, use thin stainless cable, maybe .062" - .093", as a lanyard to whatever marker float I plan to use.
© Pond Boss Forum