Pond Boss
Posted By: airborne3118 material for making nets - 01/06/20 05:27 AM
I know this has probably been covered but could anyone suggest a good source or good material for building nets or net cages. I need something for small fry. I use window screen for the first month or so for my tilapia fry but then I need to move to something like 1/8 inch and then 1/4. Does anyone have a great suggestion? Thanks
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: material for making nets - 01/06/20 05:54 AM
Google plastic net/fence mesh material 1/8" or 1/4". Lots of options - I usually just buy my rolls at the retail box store 3' x 25' x 1/4" etc. as it's a lot cheaper and works fine vs. mesh material offered on aquaculture websites. If you need a specialty size you'll have to search a bit online but it's around.
Posted By: esshup Re: material for making nets - 01/06/20 06:45 AM
Originally Posted By: airborne3118
I know this has probably been covered but could anyone suggest a good source or good material for building nets or net cages. I need something for small fry. I use window screen for the first month or so for my tilapia fry but then I need to move to something like 1/8 inch and then 1/4. Does anyone have a great suggestion? Thanks

Try here:
Memphis Net & Twine
Posted By: Acoursey Re: material for making nets - 01/06/20 02:58 PM
Another option
http://nicholsnets.com/catalog.html
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: material for making nets - 01/06/20 09:27 PM
I've got multiple cages and have used both netting and plastic fencing. If I was wanting a short term cage like you mentioned, I'd stick with the plastic fencing if you can find it with an 1/8" mesh. Regular twine netting is great, but it's far more expensive than the plastic fencing, takes larger PVC pipes to support the added weight, and is a bear to deal with once it gets wet.

Depending on the volume of fish you're wanting to grow out, a floating holding box may also fit your needs.
Posted By: airborne3118 Re: material for making nets - 01/07/20 06:38 AM
Thank you guys all for the suggestions.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: material for making nets - 01/07/20 06:30 PM
I always use this company for my all my cage netting. In addition they will sell less than 100ft (minimum required $$ amounts needed for an order). They have diamond and square mesh, some very small.
https://www.industrialnetting.com/extruded-square.html
Posted By: esshup Re: material for making nets - 01/09/20 02:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I always use this company for my all my cage netting. In addition they will sell less than 100ft (minimum required $$ amounts needed for an order). They have diamond and square mesh, some very small.
https://www.industrialnetting.com/extruded-square.html

This extruded netting that Bill linked to has lasted in excess of 15 years out in the sun 24/7/365. The black zip ties have to be refreshed before the netting goes bad.

If you are going to use a fabric netting, make sure you get it coated or dipped. If not, it will start to break down and tear in 2 years.
© Pond Boss Forum