Pond Boss
Posted By: Overfloater Source for dye powder? - 07/07/16 09:21 PM
Does anyone know of a source for powdered dyes? I cannot find anything other than industrial sources who want to sell it to me by the barrel.

I'd like to experiment with different shades of turquoise than the one offered by Aquashade, and I also figure it will be cheaper to buy the dyes in powder form and mix up concentrate myself.

Primarily I'm interested in:
Acid Blue 9
Acid Yellow 23

Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: Just wanted to add, I work in a laboratory and am well aware of the personal protective measures required when handling powdered dyes. Liquid concentrates of individual colors would also work fine.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/07/16 09:57 PM
Overfloater, Hoosier Pond Pros carries powdered dye.

EDIT: I think the Aquashadow WSP is a powder, better check first.
Posted By: esshup Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/08/16 02:22 AM
Thanks for the plug. Unfortunately WSP is water soluble packet.

Contains liquid, toss packet into pond, outer covering dissolves.

It's for people who tend to look like Smurfs after treating a pond with dye. laugh
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/08/16 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
It's for people who tend to look like Smurfs after treating a pond with dye. laugh

So you are saying, that my wife who is 4'9" should stay away from these? ;-)
Posted By: Overfloater Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/09/16 05:02 PM
I found one company that will sell small samples, not sure about the price though.

Too bad there aren't more sources for dye powder. IMO the premixed concentrates are all overpriced.
Posted By: Overfloater Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/16/16 06:14 PM
Well at least I found out why it's so hard to find dye powder. One company said they sold a guy powder and instead of mixing up a concentrate to then add to his pond, he set out in a fishing boat and sprinkled the powder in the pond (and into the wind). The idiot got it in his eyes and ended up on the ER.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Source for dye powder? - 07/18/16 04:18 AM
Roughly how much powdered lake-colorant (in a WSPs) were you seeking?
Rather, how much volume of water are you planning to color - and to what degree of blue?
© Pond Boss Forum