Pond Boss
Posted By: BrandonA Aerators - 07/09/09 08:03 PM
I have a 125 gallon water trough at the house and thinking about converting it into a minnow/Black Salty tank. I hate having to throw back livebait when done fishing or having to go into town to buy bait when I want to go fishing. Does any of ya'll do this? What size and brand of aerator do you have ?
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Aerators - 07/09/09 08:21 PM
Look for centrifugal aerator pumps. They're the cheapest to operate. It's really not a big deal to aerate 125gallon shallow tank though. I'd probably just put one of those hang over the side type filters on it to move the water and help filter out solids. Unless you put a bunch of minnows, like over 100 saltys or 200 fatheads...keeping the the water agitated with a normal 10 gal. aquarium sit air pump should be fine.

Years ago I had two 10" crappies and about 15 fatheads in a 30 gallon feed pan for over a month with no air and only rainwater replenishing it.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Aerators - 07/09/09 08:24 PM
You can use a standard aquarium aerator and a couple 12" blue airstones if you have power available. Be sure to cover the air pump from the weather. I have some extra airpumps, tubimg, and stones if you don't want to go to Wally World or PetSmart. Filtration will help but not absolutely required if you do water changes every few days.
Posted By: BrandonA Re: Aerators - 07/10/09 01:56 PM
Theres a pretty good aquarium store in town. May go by and see what they have. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: BrandonA Re: Aerators - 07/10/09 02:24 PM
Theres a pretty good aquarium store in town. May go by and see what they have. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Aerators - 07/11/09 05:50 AM
Since black salties are goldfish, they can handle some really crappy water, so I'd say you could get away with once a week water changes as long as you don't jam too many fish in there...
© Pond Boss Forum